Specialized Creo SL Frame Protection

bayareabikeman

Region
USA
Hi Folks,

Recently acquired a Creo SL Comp Carbon and its a blast! I also got a 650b x 47 gravel Wheelset for off-road use. Any recommendations for frame protective film that will fit the bike, especially for the downtube?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Recently acquired a Creo SL Comp Carbon and its a blast! I also got a 650b x 47 gravel Wheelset for off-road use. Any recommendations for frame protective film that will fit the bike, especially for the downtube?

Thanks!
Congrats. Enjoy the new beast. There's a variety of 3M type films that can be applied.

Enjoy your new ride! 👍There’s also Ridewrap which will allow you to tailor fit your Creo in three levels of coverage.

Gawd. I recall just trying to install similar film on my mp3 player (remember those?) and that was only about 3x4 inches. I could see being at for for days or weeks! But it looks like a great product.

Gawd. I recall just trying to install similar film on my mp3 player (remember those?) and that was only about 3x4 inches. I could see being at for for days or weeks! But it looks like a great product.
Been there done that. I have to admit that I only applied a strip of 3M film to the rear of the seat tube on the Creo as I occasionally ride stretches of gravel from time to time. The Trance, on the other, received full coverage on the front triangle including the head tube and battery cover. The only caveat was the time required to complete the task.

IMG_20210405_2002438.jpgIMG_20210405_2003253.jpg

I like the Ridewrap as it eliminates the need for templates and the hassle of tracing/cutting from bulk film. I haven’t tried it yet but likely will on my next bike.

Jacek is a better man than I and you’re lucky to have him around. 👍Regrettably, I don’t have the dexterity to apply the wet bulk film without buggering things up.

I took my diamondback current to a local car vinyl guy that did the clear 3m on the down tube for $25 took him about an hour.

I can't help thinking that wrapping my bike just protects the paint for the next owner. And with eBikes having a lot shorter shelf-life than bikes - I think it's even less important. Still - I'm glad these wraps are available for folks who want to use them.

may i ask what handel bars are these
Deacon Blues gets the prize. Had to get from Cyclesense in the UK to ship to North Carolina but it went off without a hitch. Paid via the website, they communicated via email very well, and the bars arrived via DHL. It was worth the extra shipping to get the bars I wanted since they'll be used for at least 5 years. The Velo Orange crazy bars I think are similar, although out of stock in the black. I think in total the Denham were $150 delivered.

I have used vinyl on some portions of frames as protection and for style.

Hi Folks,

Thanks!
I did almost my entire Creo in this stuff. It does take a bit of practice and patience. Narrow strips with the ends cut into curves work better and easier than wide strips. The wider the strips the more likely you will run into compound curves of the tubes which causes wrinkles in the tape. If you apply correctly you still may get some small air bubbles under the tape. Most of those can be removed by popping with a pin. For instance on my top tube there is a wider strip covering the top and a narrower strip covering each side and slightly underneath. The tape:

I admit my faults. Before I knew better I did an Al bike in carbon-look wrap! I am embarrassed 'em-bare-assed' for my former self. I didn't know how dumb that is.
1692656675471.jpeg

Back