SOS…major decision time!

Silvercat

Hi,
After considerable searching, calling, etc., I have confirmed that I could get a Trek Allant 7 by the end of July or a Giant Explore Pro by early September. Bosch versus Yamaha motors, etc.
I have always liked Trek but the Giant Explore Pro has a very nice colour display, and I have heard and read that the Yamaha motor is more reliable and quieter than the Bosch CX performance line motor, with similar nm (80 to 85).

I need to decide within a day or two; hence, would REALLY APPRECIATE opinions re what the best choice would be.

Thanks!

Have you ridden them? Go with the one that felt best. If you have tried them out and they are equal, then go with the best LBS service. If the dealers seem equivalent, go with the one you can get soonest, because ultimately, you will very quickly LOVE your ebike, whichever you get.

These are both nice bikes. I would side with the Trek. If you live in somewhere that gets cold in the Winter you will have more ride time this season on the bike that comes sooner.

They are both good looking, well equipped bikes.
I have a '19 gravel bike with Yamaha PW-SE 70nm motor and it has great performance but I've never ridden a Bosch powered bike. Just looking at the bikes the Giant has a more useable appearing rear rack and it has 2x chainrings which should provide a wider gear range to choose. I use both of my front chainrings for hill (mountain) climbs while preserving a big chainring for flats. So, given what I see, I myself would go for the Giant. Not sure that I'd want to waste a month or a month of a half of riding waiting though. Good luck and have fun!

I am a huge fan of Bosch. Riding 2 different 2016 models and accumulated mileage of over 11,000 miles on the two. Never have taken the bikes back to the dealer since the day I rolled them out. I've read here that Bosch is the only manufacturer with UL ratings on the battery packs.

I've said before...buy what you can get. Both are good bikes. I suspect the Trek store will sell with 30 day money back. Mine did last year, which made the buy decision easy for us, for two bikes!
Stop waffling and get riding! :)

Silvercat, I looked at some of your posting history and gather that you're almost as old as me. It's not like there are endless summers, especially in Canada. Buy the Trek today.

Maybe get a cheapo ebike to ride and sell it when the Trek comes in.

Silvercat, I looked at some of your posting history and gather that you're almost as old as me. It's not like there are endless summers, especially in Canada. Buy the Trek today.

Maybe get a cheapo ebike to ride and sell it when the Trek comes in.
Bonus could be the cheapo will teach you a TON.

Hi,
Thanks to all for your recommendations…most appreciated!
I have owned a NCM Moscow Plus (NOT a great name!!) since 2 years. It is a very nice ebike but has a rear hub motor and a reported 60nm. 29 inch wheels and it is huge! I am 6’3 and can barely straddle the top bar!
With an extra battery and not much mileage, I expect to sell quickly for $2000. firm.

I will be making a deposit this Friday, May 6, at a Trek corporate store to secure an Allant 7 XL size, scheduled to arrive from Trek’s California wharehouse July 25. Another 10 days to the Trek store and I hopefully will have in early August. The Trek store is confident that bike will arrive on time.

If crossing the US border were easier, (I am only 30 minutes from Washington state), I would seriously consider
buying that Trek in Bellingham. Of course, with the weak Canadian dollar and likely duty costs, it might be cheaper buying here (about $5200. taxes in).

Will likely add a stem riser and a rack bag. The Trek store staff appear very good.

Now, time to secure a proper hitch…the Thule easy fold seems best, although crazy expensive here ($1100.).

Thanks again to all the folks who kindly answered my questions!

Back