Sooner or later

EdC

If it hasn’t already happened, a pedestrian will be killed by a cyclist going more than 28 mph on an ebike. To many ebike manufacturers and ebike you tubers are making it too easy to delimit ebikes. Leglislative action for licensing and insurance requirements won’t be far behind. Ed

Well, it has already happened in London. September 2018. An ebiker hit a woman at an intersection. She died of her injuries, The accident was caught on camera, and the ebiker ran. He later turned himself in. Arraigned in court in October 2019. Trial is next month. From what I saw on the internet video, she jaywalked on a red light into his path , but that's up to the traffic reconstruction experts to debate how fast he was going.

Meanwhile, Netherlands had more people die on bikes than in cars in 2018. Something like 200 deaths. We get 100 deaths a day in the USA from cars.

When you ride the lakefront path in Chicago in the summer, the odds areguaranteed you'll have at least one near miss. Lots of people. Lots of bikes. In the middle are the Segway tourists.

It's obvious you'r just a coach potato.
There are then of thousands of 28mph speed pedelecs in Europe and a few hundreds in Us and nothing like that has ever happened. With cars it happens every day at much higher speeds.

Reasons being b/c cyclists actually pay attention to the road even when croasing on red light or zig zagging through pedeatrians /dogs/squirells .
Also most cyclists have most of the time enough and much better sleep vs the drivers who R glued to thier cellphones and drive drunk or sleepless b/c of their lazy habits.

It's obvious you'r just a coach potato.
There are then of thousands of 28mph speed pedelecs in Europe and a few hundreds in Us and nothing like that has ever happened. With cars it happens every day at much higher speeds.

Reasons being b/c cyclists actually pay attention to the road even when croasing on red light or zig zagging through pedeatrians /dogs/squirells .
Also most cyclists have most of the time enough and much better sleep vs the drivers who R glued to thier cellphones and drive drunk or sleepless b/c of their lazy habits.
I ride about 5000 miles a year. I’m a bike seat potato. Save you money. You may need it for license and insurance fees. Ed

Well, it has already happened in London. September 2018. An ebiker hit a woman at an intersection. She died of her injuries, The accident was caught on camera, and the ebiker ran. He later turned himself in. Arraigned in court in October 2019. Trial is next month. From what I saw on the internet video, she jaywalked on a red light into his path , but that's up to the traffic reconstruction experts to debate how fast he was going.

Meanwhile, Netherlands had more people die on bikes than in cars in 2018. Something like 200 deaths. We get 100 deaths a day in the USA from cars.

When you ride the lakefront path in Chicago in the summer, the odds areguaranteed you'll have at least one near miss. Lots of people. Lots of bikes. In the middle are the Segway tourists.
I’m not talking about bike car injuries or deaths. I’m talking about bike pedestrian deaths.

I’m no talking about car bike injuries or deaths. Motorists in the Netherlands legally must be licensed and insured. I’m talking about bike pedestrian accidents with ebikes going more than 28 mph on throttle only. Ps. I live in Chicago. Ed

Happened in Mi this past summer as well. Pretty scary scenario. A senior was walking on a busy multi use trail with ear buds, making it impossible for him to hear the warning from the passing biker. With the biker just feet away, the senior made a 180 degree turn putting him directly in the biker's path with no warning at all - or room for the biker to react. Biker hit the senior, who smacked his head on the pavement. Biker was ticketed originally, but through witness statements it was determined that the accident was unavoidable. It was clearly the senior's fault/an accident, and the ticket was dismissed.

Lesson here was screw the posted speed limits, riding speed should be dead slow around pedestrians, moms pushing carriages with pet dogs in tow, etc. Nobody is "right" if somebody gets hurt.

If it hasn’t already happened, a pedestrian will be killed by a cyclist going more than 28 mph on an ebike. To many ebike manufacturers and ebike you tubers are making it too easy to delimit ebikes. Leglislative action for licensing and insurance requirements won’t be far behind. Ed
Fearmonger

Happened in Mi this past summer as well..

No, not quite. An e-bike was not involved. The OP specifically stated an e-bike over 28 mph and the UK response also stated an e-bike was involved in a hit and run. The Mi incident, if the Macomb incident is the one you are referring to, was not an e-bike from everything I heard and read.

My point though in posting the article link is that it obviously takes less than a 50 pound bike and 28 mph to cause serious injury.

No, not quite. An e-bike was not involved. The OP specifically stated an e-bike over 28 mph and the UK response also stated an e-bike was involved in a hit and run. The Mi incident, if the Macomb incident is the one you are referring to, was not an e-bike from everything I heard and read.

My point though in posting the article link is that it obviously takes less than a 50 pound bike and 28 mph to cause serious injury.
Yes, that's the incident. Not the same story I read though. That happened just a few miles from where I live, making it pretty relevant/scary. I was thinking it was an ebike that was involved, but my memory isn't what it used to be. Terrible accident at best. Sure gave me pause.....

I did read the OP, and agree it's not so much about the speed. The right guy could be knocked off his feet at speeds a lot lower than that for sure! Or a dog run over, or whatever....

Back