Sondors first impressions

Anyone want to monitor the range test I did

That's cool, but flat as a pancake. I'd like to see a test done with some 1/4 mile or longer stretches of 6-10% grade. In New England it's difficult to find much flat terrain.

Thanks for the report it helps!

Court J.

The sun was in his eyes... E6.... He tried for 13 then 15 averaged 14.2... Kind of a wacky test he stops or turns around every 8 odd minutes... And there is no video of him actually riding the Sondors???

E6...error on the shortstop

It was very difficult to regulate the speed without pedaling. It would have been nice to have cruise-control and just set it and forget it. If you look at my Garmin data you'll see I was above my target average in the first 2 miles so I picked a new target. The course was an out and back and each time I came back I recorded a status, that is why you see stops and turnarounds. I have to say it was one of the most boring rides I've ever done. Sitting on a bike not pedaling for 90 minutes is not my idea of fun. But I'd be willing to do it again if anyone wants to meet me out there and record it.

http://thebikethatchangedmylife.blogspot.com/2015/07/sondors-ebike-no-pedaling-range-test.html

Last edited:
It was very difficult to regulate the speed without pedaling. It would have been nice to have cruise-control and just set it and forget it. If you look at my Garmin data you'll see I was above my target average in the first 2 miles so I picked a new target. The course was an out and back and each time I came back I recorded a status, that is why you see stops and turnarounds. I have to say it was one of the most boring rides I've ever done. Sitting on a bike not pedaling for 90 minutes is not my idea of fun. But I'd be willing to do it again if anyone wants to meet me out there and record it.

http://thebikethatchangedmylife.blogspot.com/2015/07/sondors-ebike-no-pedaling-range-test.html

That isn't surprising - we have owned 3 different e-bikes now (radrover and e-joe epic lite currently, previously a bh easy motion neo xtrem), and the consistent part to all of them seems to be the throttle. They tend to be an all or nothing affair, with little ability to regulate/hold at a particular speed.

According to a member from FB:

Sondors Update: "International shipping is happening as we write and we'll be emailing international backers in the next few days for estimated delivery timing.
USA shipping is still under way with black/yellow almost finished, black/black underway and blue/black as well as yellow/orange happening in the next few weeks."

That isn't surprising - we have owned 3 different e-bikes now (radrover and e-joe epic lite currently, previously a bh easy motion neo xtrem), and the consistent part to all of them seems to be the throttle. They tend to be an all or nothing affair, with little ability to regulate/hold at a particular speed.

That is interesting. I haven't ridden those yet but we don't have any problem regulating the speed (and assist level with cruise activated) with our throttles.

Awesome looking bike. I'm pretty much a novice at putting together bikes. The only constructive critisism I would have is to have your video/instruction in the appropriate sequence from start to finish. Also, my battery was in the "on" position when I opened the box. I hope there arn't any issues. Thanks.

I have the Dolomite mentioned earlier as well. Delivered in a box at home. When not put together or gone over by your LBS there are several things that need to be checked. Bearings in both wheels too tight. An almost total absence of lube in the bearings. Bottom bracket woefully short on lube. This will affect the ride and longevity of parts. Head tube needed lube. I would at least take the bike to your LBS and have him check these things if you can't do it yourself. 26-28 LBS of pressure in my fatbike tires on the road 2. Those tires and tubes may be really heavy too. Saved significant weight changing those on the Dolomite. There is a Mongoose fat bike FB site that may have relevant info to help with your bike. Also a Mtbr forum. I think tubes and tires took off 8 LBS. And that's rotating mass weight savings. Should make it more efficient.

We bought two of the yellow/orange colors. It took my husband about 30 minutes to assemble the first one and 15 to assemble the second. He has ridden for years so it was not an issue for him at all. They did arrive without any assembly instructions at all which I imagine is an issue for a lot of people. There really should be instructions included. Yes we went tot he video's to double check any questions but not everyone can do this so if I had a complaint it would be the lack of even basic instructions. That said however it is my only complaint. We love the bikes. Definitely big bang for the buck. They look great, are simple to operate and in my opinion have plenty of speed. My husband is 6"1" and 240 lbs. and it handles his size with no issue. We have not had a chance to go on any lengthy rides but running around the neighborhood has been a blast. I guess I do have to say we were a little disappointed with the light weight plastic used for the battery compartment cover area. Not sure what you call it but I think everyone knows what I am talking about. Shouldn't be an issue with common sense care but do wish it would have been a heavier weight material. Really the only thing on the bike that does seem a little cheaply done. However it certainly does not effect the performance or fun. Very glad we bought the bikes.

Hey,
I feel time has come to launch a new thread for people to actually give their first impressions on the unboxing, assembling and actually RIDING the Sondors.
Let's hear from you guys and make sure to post photos !:):)

Hi, I have added a post but will reply to you directly as well. We bought two of the yellow/orange combination. Had them both assembled in about 45 minutes. My husband has been riding for years so had a good knowledge base. I do think there should be instructions included. None and I mean none even down to the basics of the battery itself. Again not an issue for us but an issue all the same We used on line instructions to check and verify but not everyone can do this. All of that being said we are extremely pleased with the bikes. The only cheaply made thing on the bike in my opinion is the cover area for the battery compartment. Not saying it should be metal but a heavier grade plastic would have been nice. Also do wish the wheel would have been a solid piece and it isn't but has a seam instead. Will be fine for us and hopefully no one plans on beating these things off road so shouldn't be an issue. The brakes are excellent in my opinion, no issues whatsoever. So easy to ride and operate this bike. Just makes it a fun ride without any effort. We have not had an opportunity to go for any long extended rides, just ran around the neighborhood so far but love it. There is a great deal of road noise due to the size of the tires when you are running at a high speed, but still not annoying or aggravating. We may go to a smaller tire at some time but no hurry at this point. I think these bikes are a great value. No they are not $3000.00 bikes and that is the point. I personally love the simplicity of use. No tricks, no gear changing, just hop on and enjoy. I will post some pictures later, but from our point of view these bikes are as advertised and a great value.

I received my yellow/orange Sondors a couple of days ago. I didn't have time to finish assembling it until today. First impressions:

Ebike itself
Very nice to look at, though I was surprised to find the frame is a lighter shade of yellow than the battery box. Not a big deal, just a surprise. Wheel reflectors are awful looking and I'll be replacing them ASAP. Another surprise was the size of this bike. Much longer wheelbase than my scooter. But it still fits in the elevators because it's lighter and more maneuverable than the scooter. The battery was surprisingly heavy for lithium, but not a dealbreaker. I like the included kickstand, however, it's wobbly if you park on an incline. I parked on a slight downhill and immediately the bike rolled forward and the kickstand collapsed. Just FYI.

I don't understand why Sondors makes it so difficult to find their assembly instructions on the GoSondors site. No links to it anywhere on their home page. I had to Google it. Their video instructions left a lot to be desired and should have been supplemented with transcripts. I'd have liked to be able to print out written instructions to refer to as I was assembling the bike, especially front brake installation and adjustment. There were no detailed instructions to install the front wheel, specifically how to line the disc up properly in the brake calipers. Due to the lack of sound on the brake adjustment video, I had to figure out how to adjust the brake on my own - not very safe. The link to the homepage of the manufacturer was utterly useless, since we don't know the model number of this brake. How hard would it have been to link directly to the instructions for that model? A couple of the other videos had no sound either. I even tried projecting the videos onto my home theatre system but it didn't help. Because of this, I plan to take the ebike in to a LBS next week so they can check everything over.

In the meantime I took it out for a couple of hours this afternoon. Frame size is a major problem for anyone below 6 feet. I'm 5'8" with long legs. I can just stand over the frame and have to climb up onto the seat. I cut the seat post down an inch and then found it hard to pedal because my legs are too long. Raising the seat means I can't put my feet on the ground. That seat is pretty hard, so I'll be looking for one with a lower profile that's more comfortable, maybe that will help. If they sell these bikes again, they need to offer a smaller frame size. Perhaps a smaller wheel diameter would help.

Riding it was a lot of fun, once I got used to pedaling again (haven't ridden a bike in 20 years). Immediately I noticed the motor kicking in when I started to pedal. It's not much of a kick, but it has possibilities with the right controller! ;) It does help a bit when you start from a standing stop. I tested the bike on hilly terrain, traffic, poor road conditions (lots of big cracks and potholes). This ebike rides nicer over the road bumps than my scooter with its motorcycle wheels and hydraulic shocks! The bigger fat wheels make a difference. I also like the thumb throttle. I noticed someone posted earlier stating it's hard to regulate your speed. That's something you learn with practice. I've had lots of practice with my scooter's touchy twist throttle, the one on the Sondors is similar. I pedal first and use the throttle to boost my speed while pedaling, then when I'm spinning fast with the pedals I switch to pure throttle. The thumb throttle is sensitive enough that with practice, it can be used along with the pedals. In fact it comes in really handy if you're starting at a green light on a hill!

This ebike is a bit noisy on the road, with wheel noise and the motor. I actually like that, my scooter is silent as a ghost and I'm always having to toot my horn to let people know I'm coming. I like being able to hear if/when the motor kicks in, and the tire noise serves the same function for pedestrians as tooting a horn. I may get lower profile tires, but these ones are fine for the time being.

This ebike could really use some gears, as I'm sure others have observed. Climbing even a gentle incline with just the pedals is a chore. Then when you're going downhill the pedals aren't much use. I bought the Efneo gearbox, but too bad it's not shipping until November. The motor does help to alleviate the lack of gears, but - gears would be nice. Especially if your battery dies. Speaking of which, that's one thing I'm a bit concerned about. I tend to be conservative with battery use because if my scooter dies the only way to get it home is on a tow truck. This ebike can be pedaled, but you're screwed if you have to travel uphill to get home! And I live at the top of a hill... I don't know if regenerative braking is available on open frame ebikes, but it would help with the battery range. I've read varying reports on range, from 10 miles to 20+. Someday I will test the range, but for now I'll assume it's 10 miles. Google Earth Pro will help anyone who wants to map the radius around their home.

The Sondors definitely has a WOW factor! On my relatively short ride I was stopped several times by admirers, three of them wanted to know where they could get one. One guy asked a lot of detailed questions about upgrading it with fenders, rack, trailer etc. If Storm is able to arrange another manufacturing run, I'm sure he could sell a lot more of these ebikes - and accessories.

Verdict:
I was originally planning to sell my Sondors if it arrived, because I bought my scooter earlier this summer. But now that I've had the chance to work on it and ride it, I think I could still get good use out of it. Unlike my scooter, the Sondors is legal on all bike trails here. And as I mentioned, it's lighter and more maneuverable which makes it easier to bring up and down to my apartment, and park/lock up while I'm out. It's fun to ride and will be great for short trips or recreational trips through parks etc. Once I've added a couple of upgrades it should be perfect. I will use the scooter for longer trips (especially on hills) in heavy traffic, and when roads are wet (it has fenders) or when I need more storage on the bike. I like the scooter's turn signals, brake light etc. I'm still getting the hang of the old hand signals again on the Sondors. ;)

It is a scam... false representations, a lawsuit, non-payment of vendors subsidizing your bike , no product liability insurance, no customer support

Yes I still agree with you that their business practices leave a lot to be desired. I would never have knowingly spent my money on an underpowered ebike with a fifth of the advertised range. I'm still fighting them for my second battery refund after they decided to add an extra after-the-fact charge to a pre-paid item. Re subsidizing my bike, unfortunately I don't have any control on how the Sondors group chooses to misappropriate its customers' funds. That's a side effect of pre-paying a shady operator for merchandise that hasn't been built yet.

In the meantime, at least I finally got the ebike, and it's not as bad as I thought it would be, so I decided to keep it. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I'm in Canada so I didn't expect to get it until winter, if at all.

Hello all you NEW Sondors FAT BIKE OWNERS! Heads up; Court just got his new Sondors bike and really wants to know details about the condition and operation of your bike. He's just starting THE Review and wants info from actual owners.

Here's what he sent me: "Would you mind asking folks who ordered and have received Sondors bikes if they have had any issues? I'll be working on the official review soon and would love community feedback about scratches, assembly issues, battery issues etc. My frame came scratched and I'd just like to get a feel for how people are faring and whether they are getting the expected range etc. so I can reference that in my video. "

Please post your information and feedback in the 'Sondors First Impressions Forum' that way it's all in one place. Thanks, everyone! We're all excited to hear from you.

Received my Sondors 4.0 last week. It was very well packaged and was in good condition once unpacked.
It didn't take long to put it together and I added a uprated controller and a Lunacycles LCD.
The biggest problem is that it was poorly put together at the factory. I have had to spend a lot of time adjusting the brakes and greasing the wheel bearings, headset and bottom bracket.
I have taken out two of the headset spacers and spent some time setting it up and now it rides really well.
I have ordered a replacement 52v 20amp battery and apart from trying to reduce the weight that is about all I will do.
The range on full throttle is between 8 and 12 miles and using PAS 2-3 is about 15 to 20.

Back