Sondors first impressions

Ebr is not thought of well on fb.

Kinda ironic given you say...

... is about supporting each other not petty nonsense that accomplishes nothing.

I would have thought the Sondorphiles out there would welcome an unbiased review from EBR. It's a pity that people feel enough irrational hate not to want to contribute by posting their impressions.

I just have to say, all this angst and hating is all just so juvenile and about a bike no less. Really bizarre.

What's the benefit to a Sonders bike owner to come to EBR? To hear how bad their bike is? To hear how bad the campaign was run? To be inundated with conspiracy theories? There is not a community of Sonders bike owners here because there's no reason for them to come here.

I'm sure many people will appreciate an unbiased review from Court. But that hasn't yet occurred, and again, does it matter to someone who already has their ebike? Reviews are useful for those who are looking to purchase. Once the purchase has already been made, it's not so important to that person.

What's the benefit to a Sonders bike owner to come to EBR? To hear how bad their bike is? To hear how bad the campaign was run? To be inundated with conspiracy theories? There is not a community of Sonders bike owners here because there's no reason for them to come here.

I'm sure many people will appreciate an unbiased review from Court. But that hasn't yet occurred, and again, does it matter to someone who already has their ebike? Reviews are useful for those who are looking to purchase. Once the purchase has already been made, it's not so important to that person.

Well, firstly, I would hope the negativity and hyperbolic theorizing would die down as would all all the trash talking from both sides - internet wide, there must have been more negative posts generated over this silly bike than the Russian/Ukraine conflict and people actually die in that.

What would they gain? If nothing else, a place to let non-owners how great or not their purchase was.

Hopefully , this sondors ebike will do for the ebike what the model T ford did for the car industry. ....by supplying a low priced but fairly dependable
ebike to the masses. There is no more need for any ebike, with similar performance specs as the sondors , to be priced at $1200 or more.

Nice post! I think you are right, this has already stimulated all kinds of ideas, products and new ebikes. It is great for the market, and the interest it has generated.

Realistically, Sondors is a $1000 bike by the time you include the bike, shipping, assembly, and required tune ups. $1200 is not unreasonable for a bike like this with gears.

Two backers are in Miami, and I invited them over to put their bikes together, tell big lies and go for a swim.. Hopefully we will conduct an honest Stromer vs Sondors duel!

Joe,
Which Stromer model do you have and what body of water are you guys riding into??

In this old vid the rider doesn't get wet until the 48 sec mark... I was hoping he would ride off that cliff straight into the water... still a cool scene as coastkid71 emerges and rides off...water still draining/dripping...

Last edited:
I'm curious what will be the fallout from the crash of the Chinese stock market. It's lost about a third of it's value in three months and it's still in free-fall. That will hurt AliExpress. As you say we need the vendors we know and trust!

I'm curious to know why that would have anything to do with AliExpress or any Chinese ebike vendors...

For starters, and to make the comparison, I would hope the people in China making the bike and the parts are paid enough to buy the end product.

Most likely the factory working is paid under $2 an hour (or less) vs $5 a day by Ford in 1926!
The Ford worker could buy a car costing between $190 to $550 with his wage.

Unfortunately, Consumerism is the operable ideology in the United States and much of the world.

Chinese assembly line workers can certainly afford an ebike. China is the world's #1 ebike market by volume (40M+ units sold annually). And why is consumerism "unfortunate"?

40M+ bikes every year... at that rate ... 1 in 7 people on earth could have a Chinese ebike in just 25 yrs time... That's with zero population growth... but surely the non-chinese ebike makers can pick-up the slack...

Just an observation... I wonder how a Chinese factory worker actually feels (what's his/her quality of life)... with or without his cool Chinese ebike to ride??

Joe,
Which Stromer model do you have and what body of water are you guys riding into??

In this old vid the rider doesn't get wet until the 48 sec mark... I was hoping he would ride off that cliff straight into the water... still a cool scene as coastkid71 emerges and rides off...water still draining/dripping...

Wrong Surly Pugsley video, you should have posted that video of the fat bike rider, going down hill and successfully riding across a stream.

Not trying to quibble, but what price point? Could you further elaborate? Everyone would like to see a lower cost ebike of reasonable quality offered by a reputable company. I honestly don't know what the lowest price point would be and allow a company to cover all costs, make a small profit, and remain an going concern.

Thank you,

Court J.

My estimates would be :

1. A run of the mill adult bicycle made overseas , that costs the consumer $200 , actually cost the manufacturer around $50 to make .

2. A generic - 500 watt - 36 volt rear brushless hub motor - direct drive kit with controller, costs the consumer $200 , actually cost the manufacturer around $75 to make

3. A 36 volt- 20 AH lifepo4 battery costs the consumer $400 , actually cost the manufacturer around $175 to make.

As you can see, the profit is already built in.

If one person { me} is able to make a 1000 watt- 48 volt electric fatbike - with a 48 volt-20AH lifepo4 battery , using all new components for around $900...then just imagine how much cheaper it can be done in a factory over in China , mass produced .

The markup in these types of products, is much higher then most people recognize.

Yeah, that lunchbox battery box is pretty slick! :) The bike would look like any other electric fatbike if the battery was just hanging out in the open.

I was impressed by the yellow/ black color scheme of the Sondors ebike. I also like that it was designed for proper battery placement
with the battery and its center of gravity. I find it ridiculous that there are still many ebike manufacturers making $3000 ebikes, and mounting their battery on the back , above the rear wheel , on a rack mount system. The first ebike I ever built, I used that setup and can tell you , it really wears out the rear tire much quicker , results in a poorer ride and less stability. I am 6ft-5" tall , and if sondors had made his ebike in a large, I woulda bought one, just because of the styling/ color scheme and my desire to tinker with it.

If sondors could have made this ebike in a large frame , and allowed the middle of the frame to have extra space between the top tube and the horizontal down tube , it could have easily allowed a larger battery to be mounted in the center.

As far as the stock 350 watt geared motor goes , it should hold up well, as long as people don't abuse it and are not to heavy. The one main disadvantage of a geared motor, is the internal gears are subject to break . For anyone that weighs less then 200 lbs and is planning on doing light commuting , a geared motor really isn't neccassary.

Wrong Surly Pugsley video, you should have posted that video of the fat bike rider, going down hill and successfully riding across a stream.

Hahaha, not so much skipping the stream as parting the seas I think!

Its important to remember , when Court reviews the performance of this Sondors ebike, he only weights 135 lbs. He us much lighter then the average adult male .

I'm curious to know why that would have anything to do with AliExpress or any Chinese ebike vendors...
It has to do with industry in China. Many companies are in trouble and the government has pushed banks to lend money to people for investing purposes, so the workers are in trouble. In the U.S. we haven't been affected by this crash too much, but Europe and Asia have. There's very little reporting on it here, but WSJ has a lot on it if you want the whole story. Most experts expect the crash won't settle until the value has been halved. Imagine the problems we would have if the Dow lost half of it's value in 6 months. Everything down to Q-Tips would be affected.

Back