Sondors first impressions

Hello all you NEW Sondors FAT BIKE OWNERS! Heads up; Court just got his new Sondors bike and really wants to know details about the condition and operation of your bike. He's just starting THE Review and wants info from actual owners.

Here's what he sent me: "Would you mind asking folks who ordered and have received Sondors bikes if they have had any issues? I'll be working on the official review soon and would love community feedback about scratches, assembly issues, battery issues etc. My frame came scratched and I'd just like to get a feel for how people are faring and whether they are getting the expected range etc. so I can reference that in my video. "

Please post your information and feedback in the 'Sondors First Impressions Forum' that way it's all in one place. Thanks, everyone! We're all excited to hear from you.

So far, so good. Had a 750w 7 speed Lashout e-bike about 12 years ago so that's my basis of comparison. Sonders has good power for a 350w and is a good cruiser. In a perfect world, it would have front shocks and multiple gears but then would cost considerably more. I most impressed with the range. Lashout didn't have a lithium ion battery so battery technology makes a big difference. Need assembly instructions on paper with the bike so you don't have to go online, and nothing online about assembling the handle bars. Overall, very pleased, everything works, everything fit when I put it together, and happy with the overall ride and performance.

Looking forward to impressions of the Sondors with the Efneo gears! I don't know if the Efneo has made it yet to backers, but that should add to range.

So far, so good. Had a 750w 7 speed Lashout e-bike about 12 years ago so that's my basis of comparison. Sonders has good power for a 350w and is a good cruiser. In a perfect world, it would have front shocks and multiple gears but then would cost considerably more. I most impressed with the range. Lashout didn't have a lithium ion battery so battery technology makes a big difference. Need assembly instructions on paper with the bike so you don't have to go online, and nothing online about assembling the handle bars. Overall, very pleased, everything works, everything fit when I put it together, and happy with the overall ride and performance.

Thanks for your feedback Wally. If you get the chance, could you tell us about the top speed on flat ground and the range. How hard is it to peddle at let's say 12mph?

A local ebiker and Sonder customer received and dropped off his budget fat tire ebike at our Redwood City store yesterday and we are digging into to it now. So far, we see the main expectations of inexpensive parts showing throughout the bike. Comments from our tech Justin so far are : "it's heavy, the seat post clamp is chinsy, the brakes are not what you would want on a heavy ebike, there's some scuffing on the frame". So, no surprises so far and we haven't ridden the bike just yet.

If you are the recipient of any mail order bike or ebike- we highly recommend that you take it to a bike shop to have it built. We charge $75 to $150 for a bike build and spend 1-3 hours with the bike on the stand before a test ride and hand-off to the customer. We'll be doing the build for the owner of this bike, which involves a lot, including spooning off the tires, truing the wheels, lubing everything that can be lubed and setting torque on anything with a bolt, among other things.

Joe - motostrano

cb54074acda8e7c8fe10dfba3d8384e6.jpg

The bike begs to be lubed up. Our example has bolts everywhere with no lube on them and have not been even turned in, in places that most shops and certainly most owners, would never think to look, if tearing into the bike from the frame up is not in their normal build steps. By example, we wouldn't have this with any other brand we sell in our store.

From what we know, few e-bike shops have deep bike tech experience and so, they don't take the time to re-build a bike as it should be built and assembled from the box. Additionally, most non e-bike bike shops don't know what to look for in e-bikes. So, seeing how long these bikes take to rattle themselves apart is a question.

Aside from the obvious skimming of retail price by slicing off dealer margin, by shipping direct, deleting "the middleman", there's certainly been some un-investment too in the QA department "middleman", as you'd guess in a bike that touts itself to be the "Most affordable eBike EVER", as they say on their indiegogo.

In this sense, you might want look at this affordable bike as kind of an "ebike kit" really. It looks a bit like a bike when you see it come out of the box, but it's not ready for the ride. Some things are put together on it, but full assembly is required if you're life is going to ride on this thing and being a bicycle it IS literally riding on this thing.

Much of the attraction of this bike comes from the "hidden" battery that lives under the hood. A nice design trick to upgrade the look of it, but inside all that tech of the hood is a plain old thermus style ebike battery with wires and stuff.

On lifting the bike on to the stand, our tech thought the battery was already in the bike, when it was not.

25f1829969d7811d2cc79e8c48b96291.jpg

Bling Supremo.

6c85e2a8d4e334b85f3ca7f485c87998.jpg

Great post Joe,
I hope you guys can give us your take on the test drive... Also, is there anyway to easily tell what cells are used in the battery? And, the exact weight. with battery is still 60ish??... Look forward to your next post... and maybe a trip to your shop... I'm just down in SC....
Thanks
M

Last edited:
Sorry but this unabashed shilling is too funny...

The Sondors Facebook Group has usurped every other website for the Sondors bike.. People sharing their experiences, getting assembly help, pinpointing deliveries throughout the country and beyond.

I helped the first person who posted their Sondors on FB correct an assembly problem, as have many others since that first delivery date July 8.

CrowdFunding has led to CrowdHelping, and no one is asking for a dollar... Just sharing; the way it is supposed to be.

Over 1700 FB members and growing rapidly.

Great post Joe,
I hope you guys can give us your take on a test drive... Also, is there anyway to easily tell what cells are used in the battery? And, the exact weight. with battery is still 60ish??... Look forward to your next post... and maybe a trip to your shop... I'm just down in SC....
Thanks
M

Details about the motor, controllers, tires, etc. Also more info about braking, brakes appreciated. What is the brand (model) of the motor for instance?

Last edited:

The Sondors Facebook Group has usurped every other website for the Sondors bike.. People sharing their experiences, getting assembly help, pinpointing deliveries throughout the country and beyond.

I helped the first person who posted their Sondors on FB correct an assembly problem, as have many others since that first delivery date July 8.

CrowdFunding has led to CrowdHelping, and no one is asking for a dollar... Just sharing; the way it is supposed to be.

I wrote something negative but deleted it. I'm also not going to privately report your post. What I am going to say directly is that your post is off topic, counter productive and against the spirit of the intended nature of the thread. A well known bike shop giving an honest assessment of the overall build of the bike is completely on topic and relevant. It isn't stopping you from enjoying your bike either, and I would love to hear what you have to say about your own bike, right here! If you have the bicycle knowledge to tear down and properly prep a new out of the box bike, please critique the bike shop post too! I know I don't have that knowledge, but I can live with learning how to do things on my bike and set it up through youtube, and at the same time realize my bike is not as well setup as it would be if I had a shop do it - there is nothing wrong with that, but if I took my radrover to a shop, I'm sure they would find multiple things that could be better prepared for proper riding and bike longevity. Calling their post shilling is in poor taste (and not even the appropriate term for the situation). I'm tired of the snide, better than you, know it all kind of posts about this bike - from both sides. Can you end it here and be the bigger person?

An apparently well-respected bike shop has given an independent assessment of a Sondors bike, as received, and you term it "unabashed shilling?" That people are working as a community because there is no support or official Technical Department provided by Team Sondors for the end recipient is admirable fair enough - that it is behind closed doors and nobody knows how many bikes are shipped or are being shipped or anything else is a bit worrying - but their strip-down and initial analysis appears consistent with a bike built to that price, how is that "shilling?"

Most early reports about the bike are favourable admittedly but there has been no professional assessment/strip-down/review to date but I guess it goes like this.....

Any constructive criticism, valid question or review raising valid points = must be a paid troll, shill (If raising those points in the SS Owners FB Group would lead to immediate banning)

Go Sondors! I love my bike, thanks so much! = knows what they are talking about, this is helpful and insightful for interested parties (If raising those points in the SS Owners FB Group lots of likes)

I agree with what pxpaulx said, is every review/critique or assessment going to be termed - or going to be permitted to be termed - "shilling" whenever someone makes simple, basic observations that don't fit in with the view that the Sondors ebike is a professionally-constructed, 100% fit-for-purpose bike which lives up to all the claims that Sondors made? $1299 ebike for $499+shipping for early adopters, 45lbs, 50 mile range, 90 minute battery charge time, 20mph top speed? As it is early indications are that it is good value for those that have received bikes.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is pretty telling that both admins can't even spell the brand name correctly.

SONDORS

Due diligence. Haha

It's pretty telling that some apparent adults can't discuss a bike with some civility.

Come on people, it's just a bike. And although I've no intention of ever getting one, I'm still interested in what people have to say about it. But it's difficult to actually find a reasonable conversation in amongst all the angst and gnashing of teeth from pro-either side.

Since when did Admins have to be experts and know how to spell every bike manufacturers name? Easily sorted, lets move on.

That is great, @JoePah and that is one aspect of helping for those who can help each other. Some lack tools or ability to put the bike together themselves, so a shop helps. It's all good! I was allowed into the Sondors Owners group for about 5 minutes yesterday. Went there asking for all feedback, good and bad and no one listened or shared. So judgements can come from all sides. If you note, the very first entry by Wally is a very happy one and I figure many people will be fine with their Fat Bike. Personally, as an EBike dealer for 14+ years, I feel there need to be more entries at the Sondors price point that are of value.

So far, so good. Had a 750w 7 speed Lashout e-bike about 12 years ago so that's my basis of comparison. Sonders has good power for a 350w and is a good cruiser. In a perfect world, it would have front shocks and multiple gears but then would cost considerably more. Overall, very pleased, everything works, everything fit when I put it together, and happy with the overall ride and performance.
Thank you @wallywedge for leaping in and letting us know a bit about your new bike. Glad to hear that you're happy!

Back