Sondors Fact Finding. Due Diligence. Scrutiny.

they have bought the price back from 199 to 194... another bonus for customers maybe, just like the patern cast into the battery box... will Sonders Generosity ever end?

You shamed them into giving the $40,000 back;)

Reactions: wa5
Moreover, it is simply embarrassing to announce a $199 shipping "perk" and then when reminded of your own stated cap - to go down with the volume of ebikes bought - to have to amend it to $194 - where is the volume discount for pledgers or the cost at MUCH LESS than was advertised on the IGG page until recently?

They are making it up as they go along, everything screams red to me.

@Ann M. in your experience has there been any launch of any ebike which at least hasn't gone through niggles and teething problems requiring Dealer attention? So with 7500 ebikes to deliver globally I maintain there will be massive logistical and technical problems without any support or warranty whatsoever, do you believe this is a fair statement to make?

I'm not so sure about 'massive' problems @EULITTLB ; however, first releases of most ebikes have some issues that need tweaking or in some cases, everyone's patience until the next production run arrives to solve the problem. Issues that can be problematic if there is no professional help to handle them. Some companies choose to just throw parts to the customer in an attempt to solve a problem; however, many frustrated folks have wound up in my shop and other LBS when the bike owner never got a working solution from a phone or internet customer service rep. We also get updates or dealer bulletins from some manufacturers with critical technical information that may require action for new floor stock or adjustments for product already sold. And most manufacturers get an earful from us, their dealers, pretty fast if there's a problem that repeatedly crops up! With respect to Sonder's bike none of us know exactly how he plans to support his bike-- consider different languages, time zones, etc. In comparison, if I buy 1 Cree Li headlight on Alibaba through their 'Trade Assurance' program or a charger via DHGate, the specifics of returns and warranty with the Asian supplier is clearly spelled out before the purchase and there is a centralized point to file complaints about a product or shipping, so some level of secure transaction. It remains to be seen how this will be handled with the little yellow bike.

Thanks for the response, to clarify even a niggling issue over approximately 7500 bikes spread throughout the States and over the world will present tremendous challenges imo.

You shamed them into giving the $40,000 back;)

Given the $350,000 they have made today, I don't think anything I do or say here, on ES, Facebook or IGG would make one speck of difference to anything they do.. most I can hope for, is that some of the new backers went in with their eyes open... I'm a big believer in "caveat Emptor", but as I get older, I'm finding it harder and harder to get away from the fact that a good majority of the general public are, at best, dimwitted.

just on the 350k raked in today, I wonder how much of that is current customers paying their inflated freight price?

Good edit! Exactly, it is the shipping "perk" which has inflated the bids. I despair too, I really do - unless this is all a sham and there are only 1000 pledgers, again achievement enough.

Which would explain why the shipping cost hasn't come down in volume as it is stated it would - surely a few alarm bells must be ringing in peoples heads now?

"Shipping is a variable cost based on volume/location. The more we sell the cheaper it is. We can guarantee it will be less than $194 each for USA and $250 for International."

This misleading statement speaks for itself; as the "shipping price" will be the highest fixed price possible, and from storms perspective they will capture the profit on lower variable costs.

"Shipping is a variable cost based on volume/location. The more we sell the cheaper it is. We can guarantee it will be less than $194 each for USA and $250 for International."

This misleading statement speaks for itself; as the "shipping price" will be the highest fixed price possible, and from storms perspective they will capture the profit on lower variable costs.
Given the $350,000 they have made today, I don't think anything I do or say here, on ES, Facebook or IGG would make one speck of difference to anything they do.. most I can hope for, is that some of the new backers went in with their eyes open... I'm a big believer in "caveat Emptor", but as I get older, I'm finding it harder and harder to get away from the fact that a good majority of the general public are, at best, dimwitted.

just on the 350k raked in today, I wonder how much of that is current customers paying their inflated freight price?
As of 10 minutes ago... $331259..... I don't understand why the funders are in such a hurry to pay shipping for a product that that doesn't even exist yet?? Are they under the impression that the quicker they pay... the quicker they'll get their bikes... that is "dimwitted" ...

@mike bombardieri that is what they are led to believe - pay now or you do not get your "perk" on the estimated delivery date.

A fair few of the early pledgers have not paid, even taking into account those who ordered multiples........
    • $194USD

• Another happy customer

• Christopher Smith
    40 minutes ago

With a $75,000 campaign we were to be promised a choice of more colors than we are now – 4.5 million dollars later. I’ve been a proud backer, but that’s so weak. And dishonest.

cubepeep-498b6a6e7b2f24eeb152e2dd65a63483.png

Christopher Smith
    1 hour ago
    We have less options now than we did in the beginning? WTF?!!? What happened to the green rims.

cubepeep-498b6a6e7b2f24eeb152e2dd65a63483.png

Christopher Smith
    1 hour ago
    WAIT. The color selection was exactly what we’ve always known!?! What happened to all the other colors we were gonna get to pick?!? Why cant you put any color wheels on any frame?!? Thanks for the plane black bike, I guess I’ll just go buy some paint. Garbage.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the funders are in such a hurry to pay shipping for a product that that doesn't even exist yet?? Are they under the impression that the quicker they pay... the quicker they'll get their bikes... that is "dimwitted" ...

And yet, that's pretty much what the latest update from the Sondors eBike explained:

Shipping Cost

As you know, we have a cap on US shipping at $194 and International shipping at $247 for the eBike, meaning that we will guarantee the prices will be no more than that. When shipping a new product to many people there are inherent variables on the cost that will not be known until shortly before or when the physical shipping of the product occurs.

In order to expedite your eBike shipping as quickly as possible, we ask that you please pay the shipping now at the rate of $194 (US) or $247 (International).
  • (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
  • (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
This will ensure your eBike is the first to be shipped. When the US shipping and International shipping can be calculated for the per unit cost for each eBike, we will then state the exact shipping costs and issue a refund if it falls under the US shipping of $194 or International shipping of $247 per unit cost as stated in your perk for 1 eBike shipping.

Conversely, should you like to wait until the accurate shipping costs are calculated to pay the exact amount, you are welcome to do so. Shipping priority will be given to those who pay the above stated amount in advance of the campaign completion on April 2nd and their initial eBike pledge date. For instance, if you were the 11th person who pledged, we will process/ fulfill your order before the 1,111th person who pledged. It is only fair.

Payment now = more $$$ in the Sonders account, and more interest that can be made on those funds. $4+M can generate significant interest just sitting around in an interest-bearing account waiting for eBikes to be built.

I have a question regarding the rims. in the latest updates, there is a picture of Storm standing near some black fat bike rims.. Would I be correct in assuming that being black, the rims are steel, not alloy / aluminium?

Reason I ask, is the rims on the only known Stormdors bike are metallic orange, they appear to be anodized. I have never seen an anodized steel item, only alloy.

or am I reading too much into the colour of the rims behind Ivastorm?

Of course the rims might be for a totally different bike and have no connection to the Stormdors, much like the items in all the other pictures they have shown to date.

EDIT, Notice that the freight cost simply doubles for more bikes to the same address, this would confirm (I believe the term is) drop shipping, I think.

Last edited:
I want to thank Court for hosting this thread, and for doing tons of hard work as a champion for electric bikes.

The issues and concerns with the Storm-Sondors offering are going to play out over the next year or so. If you are buying an ebike you would best be served by selecting one from the many ebike offerings other than Storm that Court has taken the time to review on youtube and his website.

The greatest concern I have voiced pertains to the "conduct" of the Storm-Sondors campaign itself. There are many legitimate companies both small and large that want your business and in return will not only sell you an electric bike but they will also support it and stand behind it with integrity clearly missing from the Storm campaign.

Time will address the concerns as reality about the product and campaign hatch out so consider this entry of thanks my last post.

pity they wouldn't do orange... I think that would have been my pick.. hope its all you expect it to be

I've heard a few people commenting on the continual rise of the Sondors ebike campaign on Indiegogo. People are impressed that the total is now above $4.5 million dollars. Keep in mind that the total is going up in part due to the ~$200 in shipping that backers are now paying. I recently paid mine and saw this notification, it looks like Indiegogo will take a percentage of shipping as well as the total ebike funding and amass all of that as the "total raised". Wanted to share to provide some transparency on the topic.

sondors-shipping-total.png

Payment now = more $$$ in the Sonders account, and more interest that can be made on those funds. $4+M can generate significant interest just sitting around in an interest-bearing account waiting for eBikes to be built.
Do you realize that the interest on $4 million at todays rates would only generate a couple thousand dollars for the year?

People complaining about the shipping costs must live near the Sondors shipping location in California. Mine is being shipped to Georgia and $194 by motor freight is a deal. This is my first night reading this forum and with all the negativity I am still looking forward to getting my Sondors bike!

Do you realize that the interest on $4 million at todays rates would only generate a couple thousand dollars for the year?

By my calculations, at a most conservative interest rate of 1%, $4M would be earning $40,000. I know there are more lucrative places to stash money that would earn a higher % rate, even short term.

Back