Sondors changed brakes on new Rockstars.

DeMedici

Region
USA
Just received my Rockstar. It looks like they changed the brakes. No longer Tektro brakes. No brand name on the new ones. Will have to see how they do once I get a chance to ride in spring.
IMG_20211225_111131.jpg
IMG_20211225_111144.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what the original Tektro brakes were but the most glaring thing to me is a single piston caliper on what looks like only a 180mm at best rotor for such a heavy bike is going to be severely underbraked. I realise the Rockstar is a budget bike and costs are cut component wise to get there but you might want to save up for a better 4piston system with at least 200mm rotors which is not a big thing to install.

I was doing email support when the original Sondors got delivered. Luna sold tens of thousands of dollars in upgrade parts to make them decent eBikes. In my experience they are more toy than reliable daily commuters. <ducking the fallout>

I think that's a BS deal that Sondors is trying to pull. I'm waiting on mine and if they pull some switcheroo on the brakes I'm getting a hold of customer service and request the Tektros that were promised on the website. Looking at Amazon a set of Clarks cost roughly $120.00 a set and the Tektros are $257.00 a set.

I know that but to advertise your bike comes equipped with Tektro brakes and components and change to something lesser than is not what should be happening (if that's the case). These bikes are heavy and need all the stopping power available. The Tektros may not be top shelf but are proven brake systems on the Rockstar. These are the brakes that have been coming installed on previous Rockstars

Last edited:
Here's the reply I got from Sondors Grant Galas,

Hi Ed.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

The brakes on the Rockstar are Zoom brakes, which are a newer company but are as reputable as they come.

Best regards

Every bike mfg that I have seen has a disclaimer saying that some components may slightly differ. With supply chain issues it makes sense. These are starter brakes. Sort of like the nylon pedals some bikes come with.

This is another part of the email I sent to Sondors:

Grant, are you sure these new brakes are not Clarks? The brakes I have seen look nothing like the Zoom brakes you mention.

Ed

Hi Ed.

Indeed they are Zoom brakes.

Best regards

No matter what the make as I said save up and get some decent 4piston ones!!!! Bikes over 60lbs deserve them....

Got this from Sondors this morning:

Hi Ed,

The new Zoom brakes seen on our newer models are proprietary to Sondors and manufactured by Zoom. These do not have a model number as they are made specifically for Sondors. They have the same specifications as the Tektro Auriga including dual piston calipers, 2 finger lever blade, and metal ceramic pads. If you have any questions about specifications about the brakes you can let us know and we can help you out as best we can.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Joshua
SONDORS Tech Support

IMG_20211230_155925.jpg
IMG_20211230_155913.jpg
IMG_20211230_155903.jpg

The brakes that I received with my bike are definitely Clarks. Sondors might of had to switch the brakes a couple of times and the final version from what Cross-up posted will be zooms. The brakes feel great. Solid not mushy. They work as expected, locking up the wheels with little effort. Hope the Zooms are as good or better.

I know that but to advertise your bike comes equipped with Tektro brakes and components and change to something lesser than is not what should be happening (if that's the case). These bikes are heavy and need all the stopping power available. The Tektros may not be top shelf but are proven brake systems on the Rockstar. These are the brakes that have been coming installed on previous Rockstars

They advertised the new mid drives would be around 60 pounds to the first round of buyers and they hadn't even built a prototype yet. They are not big on facts. You bought the Sondors for one reason, right? Cost

They advertised the new mid drives would be around 60 pounds to the first round of buyers and they hadn't even built a prototype yet. They are not big on facts. You bought the Sondors for one reason, right? Cost
You're right.....cost. The first shipments did come with the advertised Tektro brakes and I would expect future shipments would too especially after price increases.

Right now, my big question is when are they going to deliver my bike? It's been sitting in a container storage yard in Long Beach for over 3 weeks.

You are so right. Those are totally Clark components. Clark M2

Clark Caliperjpg.jpg
Clark Lever.jpg

why is anyone surprised by this? Sondors is getting known for saying one thing and doing another, but they are hardly the only bike company that publishes a disclaimer that their components are subject to change.

I just wouldn't give this company any of my money based on their actions with other customers.

Back