Sondors changed brakes on new Rockstars.

Seeing as every bike manufacturer is scrambling to get components to build out their bikes, this is to be expected. How can this not be common knowledge by now? Tektro shut down acceptance of new orders something like a year ago. Last I heard they were backed up to like 2023 when they closed the order book. So this is an issue that can be expected to last a long time.

If you want Tektros... forget it. Cancel your order if that means so much to you.

Myself personally I'd pull Tektros off and go with Magura MT5e's. But... youi can't find Magura brakes anymore, either. And the ones you can find are like 50% more expensive.

No more deals for a while on bicycles. If you can get something, take it and be happy. Or hold onto your money for a year or two and wait this out. Those are your choices.

According to Arda from Ariel Rider, if you ordered brakes (video made in mid 2021), Tektro wouldn't be delivering them until 2024. Watch this portion of the interview until around 13:14:

There is a solution to cut the brake hose and crimp a banjo onto it. Then you can use any good brake you want.

Just get the pre-bled brakes you want of the correct length and save the time a hassle. It makes it a clean ten-minute job.

Last edited:
Then you lose the brake motor cut off.
Hydraulic brake sensor.

1652540067297.jpeg

You would be swapping. This is akin to swapping one tire for another but in this case swapping one wire for another. It is not more tires or wires on the bike.
Where does the cable for brake cut off go? I see 3M tape on the sensor. Looks like a extra cable to me.

I am making the assumption that you have wires on your current brake levers that lead to connectors, then they lead to a bundled wire harness, which leads to the controller. If you pull one of these brake lever cutout wires from its connector by the HB it will have a yellow end. Inside are places for three brass pins. The new wire goes in there. Toss the old lever with its wire. Install the new lever. Then the little circular magnet @tomjasz showed gets epoxied to the new lever. And the 3M peal-and-stick goes on the lever's base. A drop of super glue before you stick it, goes a long way. The distance from the magnet to the pickup should be about the thickness of a nickel, 2mm. After its installed, a drop of black nail polish from the dollar store will make the magnet disappear. The entire installation of new pre-bled hydraulic brakes will take about 15 minutes with no mess. The wire install can be on the underside.
Hint: How to remove some grips. Insert a 2mm Allen wrench deeply under the grip. Tilt and put drops of water down the gap. Pull the wrench and twist the grip off. This technique uses the force of hydrostatic pressure. It's the same force that makes your brakes work.
1652658923535.jpeg

Back