Someone stole my $4700 ebike. Need a new bike :(

aj1

Someone stole my Haibike SDURO Trekking S 9.0 bicycle, along with my Ride1Up 700. I am devastated and depressed about it. I loved this bike. Not sure I'll ever find it again. I wish the worst for the thieves.

I need a replacement because my bike is my only way to get around, my main way to exercise, and my only source of recreation, especially during COVID. I'm hoping for something exactly like it, except with a belt drive instead of a chain. Mid drive, class 3, disc brakes, full suspension, similar seating position. Does such a thing exist? The closest thing I've found is the Priority Current but it doesn't have full suspension. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have. Hoping to stay around $3000 or so. Thanks so much. I appreciate having this community.

I'll probably grab another Ride1Up 700 or a cargo bike to replace that one.

As a Trekking S 9 owner I feel for your loss. Full suspension and belt drive is a rare and pricey combo..

I know when I think about what I would like to improve/change from my Haibike, @Ravi Kempaiah 's Zen Samurai ticks all the boxes for me.

As a Trekking S 9 owner I feel for your loss. Full suspension and belt drive is a rare and pricey combo..

I know when I think about what I would like to improve/change from my Haibike, @Ravi Kempaiah 's Zen Samurai ticks all the boxes for me.
The zenebikes site is either not working properly or poorly designed. Can't get any useful information.

Someone stole my Haibike SDURO Trekking S 9.0 bicycle, along with my Ride1Up 700. I am devastated and depressed about it. I loved this bike. Not sure I'll ever find it again. I wish the worst for the thieves.
Very sad to hear :( I've had a couple bikes stolen over the years myself, but nothing quite as nice as those! Check Craigslist and sites like that for a couple months, sometimes they turn up being sold there. Fingers crossed for you but I know it's a long shot.

Bicycle thieves are the scum of the earth IMO. Both times I lost not only something I loved, but also my only means of transportation. I'm so paranoid about locking up my ebikes anywhere... I have a beat up old acoustic that I ride if I have to park anywhere sketchy or for a long period of time.

The zenebikes site is either not working properly or poorly designed. Can't get any useful information.

Apologies for the inconvenience. Because of the background activity related to the pre-order process of our Samurai and Shakti models, we had to take down the website until every functionality is fully ready and tested. What you are seeing is a placeholder for the new version.

Meanwhile, please feel free to browse the Zen subforum or contact me personally. I will be happy to help.

To the question, @aj1 posted,
first off, very sorry that happened to you. That totally sucks!!!

Do you have some kind of homeowner or renter's insurance? (that might mitigate some pain)

our Samurai model would be ideal as it comes with the Bosch Gen 4 speed drive system, Gates carbon drive, and Enviolo / Rohloff IGH. It is a hardtail but it does come with the Kinekt seatpost.
The Rohloff option may be beyond his budget by a lot but the Enviolo model is feasible.

In my humble opinion, if someone is spending more than $3K on an E-bike, they should take a hard look at bikes with the Gates drive and Bosch Gen 4 unit (if that is their preference).

I need a replacement because my bike is my only way to get around, my main way to exercise, and my only source of recreation, especially during COVID. I'm hoping for something exactly like it, except with a belt drive instead of a chain. Mid drive, class 3, disc brakes, full suspension, similar seating position. Does such a thing exist? The closest thing I've found is the Priority Current but it doesn't have full suspension. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have. Hoping to stay around $3000 or so. Thanks so much. I appreciate having this community.

I'll probably grab another Ride1Up 700 or a cargo bike to replace that one.
Wow, you're a glutton for punishment. Next one will cost more! Give it away! There is plenty more where that came from!
not for me.
Nobody has succeeded with stealing anything but the headlight & taillight of my messy conversion of a yubabike. That proboscis in the picture (in front) is the battery, not that anybody could identify it. Cost me about $2900 with a 17.5 AH 48 v battery & ebikeling motor. Unpowered bike came with 2 panniers, 2 leg stand, front basket for $1900, freight free with all the accessories. the silver box under the seat is the controller, clamped with a spam can lid for bracket. $2900 is less than the deductable on my home insurance.
For your non-suspended cargo bike the lowest you could go is a mongoose envoy ~$700, and an ebikeling geared hub motor kit, $700. Oh, by the way, with a geared hub motor your 8 speed chain might last 5000 miles as mine does. The ebikeling hub motor wore out @ 4500 mi, but was pretty easy to change since it is on the front. Mounting the non-compatible luna controller took 1 of the 2 afternoons of hub motor replacement. Switching the throttle from left to right took most of the other.
No suspension on the envoy, cargo bikes don't have them. Not 30 mph either, ~23 on flat on my rig with the Mac12t. There is a mac10t if you want to go faster. Don't climb mt ranier with it, they overheat if run very slowly lugging uphill for an hour. both my hub motors would start 330 lb gross on a 15% grade - how much more I don't know, 80 lb supplies is all I want to balance. there is an extra aluminum frame on top of the book rack that allows me to tie appliances furniture or sheet stock back there.
I'll let others discuss the class 3 full suspended racer. Shopping , concerts & church, carrying the food out to summer camp & garbage back home are my main exercise, so 8-10 mph is fine. 30 miles of that can wear me out sufficiently, no gym time required. My heart "has nothing wrong with it" age 70.
I'm using a stainless steel 1/2" sling: a PIT* to cut with it up in the air. In your location a abus granite lock might help. I've had no trouble with Master grade 11 lock. I lock to power poles, live electrical conduits & gas meters. No city installed tethers for U-locks in my town. Those tethers look wimpier than a 14" diameter power pole, anyway.
Better luck next time.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that aj1! I hope you recover from that quickly. Keep your spirits high and I am sure you will find a great replacement. Work with Ravi. He can give you straight forward guidance to a better bike. Good Luck with your search! ;)

Sorry to hear about your loss, this really does S***.

That bike is unique enough that you may be able to locate it by keeping an eye out as well as letting a few bike shops in the area know. They may not want to keep an eye out for you, but some prob ably will. Most often the bikes will be sold so watch appropriate sources for your area.

Best of Luck!

Oh, man, that sucks. How did it happen? You're getting great (and better) suggestions, but if you have any questions on the Current, feel free to reach out.

I do not know enough to recommend a replacement, but I just wanted to say I am sorry this happened to you. I have had two acoustic bike stolen, and I agree with Tyson, there is a special place in hell for bike thieves-- as well as guitar, horse and dog thieves.

My first Raleigh 531 Reynolds touring bike was stolen from a friend's apartment basement; he had pressured me to leave it there, and I told him he'd have to pay for it if stolen, and he did. (That was nearly 50 years ago, and we are still friends!) The replacement was a Raleigh Competition, about 1974, which I still own and ride in NYC. The second was a Raleigh 3 speed that was ripped out from under me when I was riding about 15 MPH, flew eight feet over the bars, landed on my back, thieves tried to get my Seiko 6139 chronograph, but couldn't work the clasp-- nice try, suckers. My best escape was from a switchblade that the thief actually jammed into my chest, though it did not penetrate more than 1/16th of an inch or so-- I was sitting on the bike, and I just shoved him and rode away, later found a single drop of blood inside my shirt. I was maybe 16. Money was tight during the '70s recession, so I wasn't letting them have it-- that was my Mom's LeJeune, and she and Dad had already had their Peugeots stolen from a train after a touring trip across Wisconsin.

The reason they didn't get my Raleigh comp? I literally took it inside the sleeper train compartment with me and my buddy! We were INSANE about bike security back then, crime was out of control, kind of like it is getting now in LA. We'd go into department stores and bring our bikes with us while we shopped, yell at the manager if he complained, but that was New York in 1975, we were all nuts.

I never leave a bike locked outside, ever. I have been tempted to lock my ebike to a power pole in Griffith Park so I can hike some trails where bikes are prohibited, but thanks for posting-- this reminds me never to break my rule. It just feel SO bad to lose one. Sending positive thoughts your way.

I never leave a bike locked outside, ever. I have been tempted to lock my ebike to a power pole in Griffith Park so I can hike some trails where bikes are prohibited, but thanks for posting-- this reminds me never to break my rule. It just feel SO bad to lose one. Sending positive thoughts your way.
All those signs on the way up to the observatory about never leaving valuables inside your car are deterrent enough for me.

I do not know enough to recommend a replacement, but I just wanted to say I am sorry this happened to you. I have had two acoustic bike stolen, and I agree with Tyson, there is a special place in hell for bike thieves-- as well as guitar, horse and dog thieves.

My first Raleigh 531 Reynolds touring bike was stolen from a friend's apartment basement; he had pressured me to leave it there, and I told him he'd have to pay for it if stolen, and he did. (That was nearly 50 years ago, and we are still friends!) The replacement was a Raleigh Competition, about 1974, which I still own and ride in NYC. The second was a Raleigh 3 speed that was ripped out from under me when I was riding about 15 MPH, flew eight feet over the bars, landed on my back, thieves tried to get my Seiko 6139 chronograph, but couldn't work the clasp-- nice try, suckers. My best escape was from a switchblade that the thief actually jammed into my chest, though it did not penetrate more than 1/16th of an inch or so-- I was sitting on the bike, and I just shoved him and rode away, later found a single drop of blood inside my shirt. I was maybe 16. Money was tight during the '70s recession, so I wasn't letting them have it-- that was my Mom's LeJeune, and she and Dad had already had their Peugeots stolen from a train after a touring trip across Wisconsin.

The reason they didn't get my Raleigh comp? I literally took it inside the sleeper train compartment with me and my buddy! We were INSANE about bike security back then, crime was out of control, kind of like it is getting now in LA. We'd go into department stores and bring our bikes with us while we shopped, yell at the manager if he complained, but that was New York in 1975, we were all nuts.

I had a Raleigh Comp back in the day. (Mid-late 70's) Bought it new. Never cared for the way the bottom bracket/frame/crankset flexed under power. The chain was always contacting the derailleur cage when you put the hammer down. Not sure if the oddball 3 arm crank had something to do with it. Beautiful bike though.

I had a Raleigh Comp back in the day. (Mid-late 70's) Bought it new. Never cared for the way the bottom bracket/frame/crankset flexed under power. The chain was always contacting the derailleur cage when you put the hammer down. Not sure if the oddball 3 arm crank had something to do with it. Beautiful bike though.
Fascinating! Haven't known another Comp owner.

<< the bottom bracket/frame/crankset flexed under power.>>

Do you mean the little "creak" from somewhere down by the crank?! I always wondered what the hell that was-- and frankly, it always scared me, though I ignored it, because I had one major crash on that bike, drafting my buddy, screwed up, my front tire touched his rear and the handlebars twisted 90 degrees, sent me flying through the air. So I always was afraid the frame was damaged, but ignored it because it was too terrifying to think about giving up the bike. Not smart! And I meant to ask my LBS in NYC about that last time it was overhauled, just last year, but I forgot. It's been doing that a long time, maybe since it was three or four years old.

As for the chain contacting the derailleur cage, I don't think I ever had that problem, but can't remember. I think stock was Campagnola, I replaced first with Simplex, and I can't remember what's on there now.

Hadn't thought about the 3-arm crank. To me, the strangest thing about the bike was the angle of the front fork-- more of a gentle curve than an angle, which made it better on bumps, though it decreased pedaling efficiency (similar effect to suspension fork on much smaller scale.) It made the handling really snappy and responsive; I could change direction really fast on that bike, dart between cabs, pedestrians, potholes, whatever.

I was a terror on that thing. I'd yield right of way to children, pretty girls, and dogs, but that was about it, no other respect for human life, including my own. Taxis would try to block me, and I'd veer around them and bang my fist on the hood, screaming profanity. *sigh* The road rage seemed more playful back then, but it was probably my imagination and teenage stupidity.

Back