Some questions about Stromer (model choice, belt drive, fork selection, battery, etc)

Aleks

Starting new job and should be able to ride Ebike few days/week (30 mile roundtrip, flat but headwind on way back). For similar situation I previously used BH mid drive then Bulls full-suspension. Now considering getting Stromer (along with other brands) but have few Stromer specific questions
  • For flat 30 mile commute do models really matter? One knowledgeable guy said "anything past ST1 w/ right size battery is bike-jewelry." I am sure it is subjective - but ideally I'd start at ST1 meeting requirements and work my way up to "I just like to have it" (e.g. ST2 w/ belt drive attracts me for no other reason than I like the technology)
  • Do you recommend sport or relaxed riding position? It will be an hour commute each way and I generally like more upright stance but curious what people prefer
  • Do you recommend suspension fork or not? Most ride is paved but there is good section of packed dirt road. BH bike I used had front suspension and suspension seat post - I certainly enjoyed going to full-suspension bike - but did not have rigid fork experience
  • Any thoughts on ST2 w/ belt drive?
  • Any other bikes that come to your mind that would serve purpose well?
I don't have a particular price band in mind - I'll buy what makes sense.

Appreciate your feedback...

Starting new job and should be able to ride Ebike few days/week (30 mile roundtrip, flat but headwind on way back). For similar situation I previously used BH mid drive then Bulls full-suspension. Now considering getting Stromer (along with other brands) but have few Stromer specific questions
  • For flat 30 mile commute do models really matter? One knowledgeable guy said "anything past ST1 w/ right size battery is bike-jewelry." I am sure it is subjective - but ideally I'd start at ST1 meeting requirements and work my way up to "I just like to have it" (e.g. ST2 w/ belt drive attracts me for no other reason than I like the technology)
  • Do you recommend sport or relaxed riding position? It will be an hour commute each way and I generally like more upright stance but curious what people prefer
  • Do you recommend suspension fork or not? Most ride is paved but there is good section of packed dirt road. BH bike I used had front suspension and suspension seat post - I certainly enjoyed going to full-suspension bike - but did not have rigid fork experience
  • Any thoughts on ST2 w/ belt drive?
  • Any other bikes that come to your mind that would serve purpose well?
I don't have a particular price band in mind - I'll buy what makes sense.

Appreciate your feedback...
Hi, st2 riding position is comparable to st1 but with the gates carbon belt and Sturmey archer gear hub.
The riding position is somewhat more upright than the ST3/5 models and therefore maybe more confortable on long distances but to the detriment of speed and consumption when facing headwinds.This is a matter of personal taste. Depending on which size battery you choose

Some people argue that 5 internal gears may not be enough for all circumstances and that the steps between gears are too large. This has been adressed with the upcoming Pinion ST3 model (More gears , more refined)
However I've heard that the top gear is well suited to "cruising" at high speed with a comfortable cadence , which is something that is typically harder to do with ( for example: Bosch motors ) most mid drive motors and gears that require a much higher cadences to maintain above 25 mph.
Belts are cool ( and you know it!) Durable, quiet,very low maintenance, clean
Power
ST1 : Motor Stromer Cyro drive 2 . US version: 550W/35Nm
ST2 : Motor Stromer Cyro drive IG US version 570W/40Nm
Suspension Kit (seatpost and fork definitely a plus. Even on paved roads).
Just like ALL other ebike brands issues may happen .These are fine bikes but they require a good , knowledgeable dealer close to home or work. Parts and technology are brand specific so excellent service is a must!
That adds up to a lot of $$$, but more than any tech data spec etc you should test ride them and you'll why you'll be paying premium.
Let us know about your experience testing, owning.

Alex, I find that the top level Stromers are just so awesome, that they draw me in.
The ST2-S and ST-5 with Di2 instant shifting make for a unmatched experience of high speed commuting.

15 miles is just a short hop.
What state are you in? You could possibly try my ST2-S or ST5 …I am in MN
Top Stromers are serious high speed bikes and the top shelf components are very nice!

Belt and pinion are intriguing but chain and Di2 may still rule the sporty genre??

FYI I ended up buying ST5 (got good deal from person working at Stromer). Had no suspension on it - added seat post - made huge difference. Would appreciate any pointers on best place to get ST3/5 suspension fork - at speeds it travels at minor road imperfections are amplified.

Couple gremlins - can't connect my phone and some issues with torque sensor (needing reset almost every day) and motor cutting out - emailed Stromer support - will see what they do.

Really, really, really awesome bike... Eats miles like nothing else I have experienced.

Sounds like a trick question………. I would suggest your Stromer guy that got you the deal on bike- to do the same on fork.

Sounds like a trick question………. I would suggest your Stromer guy that got you the deal on bike- to do the same on fork.
He is no longer with Stromer but yes - he has put me in touch with some folks at Stromer - working my way through.

Back