Soldering advice

JAG

Any advice on easy soldering. I have tried electrical conducting glue that just didn’t work as advertised. Does anyone have some advice.

Buy lead-tin solder with rosin flux inside. You might have to go online to find it. Places like Home Depot sell you lead-free silver solder, which is more intended for plumbing. I couldn't make it work, and I've been soldering for 55 years.

Crimps are OK if you can handle the bulkiness.

I used to buy mine at Radio Shack' do they still exist. Make sure it is for electrical connections. The solder is small diameter.

Practice makes perfect, this is a valuable skill in the age of ducktape shortcuts.
For solid connections in soldering: the correct heat range soldering ironfor wire gauge and components, clean and scrape the wires "bright" and make solid physical connections, use rosen core solder 60/40 lead/tin, as mentioned. "tin" the tip of your soldering iron. Have a damp cloth or paper towel to wipe tip. Heat the connection and flow on just enough molten solder, allow to cool for a few seconds before disturbing the joint. Insulate with shrink tubing etc. Ride happy!

Best advice, get a quality variable temperature soldering iron. 2nd, quality solder, 3rd cleanliness. Both on the wire and the soldering iron. Solder flows towards the heat, on bigger wire, heat on the opposite side that you bring the solder in. If you melt the solder only on the iron, the wire could still be cold. Biggest mistakes, too large of diameter solder that should be used for plumbing with the wrong (or even no) flux and a cheap Walmart tool.

I like to tin the wires as well as the soldering tip. Never use acid core solder and don't buy a cheap low wattage soldering pencil. Weller makes several "soldering stations" that are not overly expensive, have variable heat and work very well.

Back