Small Airplane

NWPILOT

I fly an RV-12 small, two seat low wing airplane and need a folding bike smaller than 36" x 24" x 16" which is easy enough but I have to lift the folded bicycle into the cabin, and ove rthe seats and into the back behind the seats and I can't do this with fifty pounds. I prefer 20" wheels and I've come down to two lightweight choices; an Indiegogo Morfunds Eole S which doesn't exist yet for about $1200 or a Carbo X for about $2500 which is actually shipping. Since flying season is coming to an end I could wait awhile but but hard to know if the Eloe is real. Any advice from the pro?

Attachments

• E3850659-A1AB-412F-8A28-DCA89997427A.jpeg
    E3850659-A1AB-412F-8A28-DCA89997427A.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 456
GoCycle. Easy to fold and designed to be easy to keep clean. Also surprisingly light for a ebike.

Welcome to EBR. ;)

Here is another vote for the Gocycle.

Also, take a look at the EBR list of Best Folding Travel bikes of 2020.

I fly an RV-12 small, two seat low wing airplane and need a folding bike smaller than 36" x 24" x 16" which is easy enough but I have to lift the folded bicycle into the cabin, and ove rthe seats and into the back behind the seats and I can't do this with fifty pounds. I prefer 20" wheels and I've come down to two lightweight choices; an Indiegogo Morfunds Eole S which doesn't exist yet for about $1200 or a Carbo X for about $2500 which is actually shipping. Since flying season is coming to an end I could wait awhile but but hard to know if the Eloe is real. Any advice from the pro?

Nice plane! Did you build it? I got my sport pilot's license years ago and had dreams of building something but life got in the way. Maybe some day.

I'd also suggest the Gocycle GX. Or perhaps the United City Ebike (https://united-city-bikes.com/eng/). It's still on Indigogo but folks have been receiving them so at least it's not vaporware. It does have 16" wheels. If you can go to 16" wheels, there's always the Brompton Electric too.

GoCycle. Easy to fold and designed to be easy to keep clean. Also surprisingly light for a ebike.

I could not find the specs but it seems this is just a 15 mph bike and I wonder how much it weighs and its size when folded. Seems I used to be able to find all this information on Electric Bike Review but now I just see a summary and a video.

Pretty plane, and really cool hangar.
Hubby and I are both pilots and owned a 4 seat Cessna for many years. Had some really great adventures but can't imagine trying to fit a bike in the back. I'm in agreement with the GoCycle but even that may be a challenge.
Does it need to be a bicycle? Just asking because I saw a guy on an electric scooter the other day flying (no pun intended) along the trail. Just a thought.
Please post what you find.

Nice plane! Did you build it? I got my sport pilot's license years ago and had dreams of building something but life got in the way. Maybe some day.

I'd also suggest the Gocycle GX. Or perhaps the United City Ebike (https://united-city-bikes.com/eng/). It's still on Indigogo but folks have been receiving them so at least it's not vaporware. It does have 16" wheels. If you can go to 16" wheels, there's always the Brompton Electric too.

I bought this production Van's RV-12 iS new from Van's Aircraft. I could go to 16" but prefer 20" and at least 20 mph and I think I can lift 25-30 lbs over the front seats.

I could not find the specs but it seems this is just a 15 mph bike and I wonder how much it weighs and its size when folded.

Seems I used to be able to find all this information on Electric Bike Review but now I just see a summary and a video.

Full specs here... 20 mph and 40 lbs with battery:

MAKE: Gocycle
MODEL: GX
PRICE: $3,299
BODY POSITION: Upright
SUGGESTED USE: Neighborhood, Urban, Commuting, Travel
ELECTRIC BIKE CLASS: Pedal Assist (Class 1), Throttle on Demand (Class 2)
Learn more about Ebike classes
WARRANTY:
3 Year Frame, 2 Year Components, 1 Year Battery
AVAILABILITY: United States, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Worldwide
MODEL YEAR: 2019
Bicycle Details
TOTAL WEIGHT: 40.4 lbs (18.32 kg)
BATTERY WEIGHT: 4 lbs (1.81 kg)
MOTOR WEIGHT: 2.2 lbs (0.99 kg)
FRAME MATERIAL: Injection Molded Magnesium
FRAME SIZES: 12 in (30.48 cm)
GEOMETRY MEASUREMENTS: Unfolded: 12" Seat Tube Length, 22" Reach, 21.25" Stand Over Height, 22.5" Width, 62.5" Length, Folded: 15.5" Length, 29.5" Height, 31" Width
FRAME TYPES: Compact, Folding
FRAME COLORS: Matte Black, Blue, White
FRAME FORK DETAILS: Single Right Side Rigid 6061 T6 Aluminum Alloy
FRAME REAR DETAILS: Single Right Side, Gocycle Lockshock™ 25mm (1 in) Travel
ATTACHMENT POINTS: Rear Rack Bosses, Fender Bosses
GEARING DETAILS: 3 Speed 1x3 Internally Geared Shimano Nexus Hub (Gear Inches: 1st=39.1 in, 2nd=53.3 in, 3rd=72.5 in, Gear Development: 1st=3.1 m, 2nd=4.3 m, 3rd=5.8 m) with Cleandrive® Chain Case, 12 Tooth Sprocket
SHIFTER DETAILS: Microshifter Half-Grip Twist on Right
CRANKS: Alloy, Forged, 170mm Length, 32 Tooth Alloy Chainring
PEDALS: VP Folding Plastic Platform
HEADSET: Integrated Steerer, Sealed Cartridget, 1-1/8" Straight, Upside-Down (Adjustment on Bottom)
STEM: Alloy, Integrated Handlebar
HANDLEBAR: Flat, Aluminum Alloy, 560mm Length
BRAKE DETAILS: Proprietary Hydraulic Disc with 140mm Rotors, Dual-Piston Calipers, Two-Finger Levers with Adjustable Reach
GRIPS: Flat Rubber, Black
SADDLE: Velo Sport, Black
SEAT POST: Alloy with Forged Head and Telescoping Sleeve
SEAT POST LENGTH: 350 mm
SEAT POST DIAMETER: 34.9 mm
RIMS: Injection Molded Magnesium, 5 Support Arms
TIRE BRAND: Gocycle Branded Vredestein, 20" x 2.0" (50-406)
WHEEL SIZES: 20 in (50.8cm)
TIRE DETAILS: Reflective Sidewall Stripes, 35 to 60 PSI, 2.5 to 4 Bar
TUBE DETAILS: Schrader Valve
ACCESSORIES: T20 and 4 mm Combination Hex Wrench in Saddle Rail Holder for Seat Height Adjustment, Optional Integrated Light Kit $(160), Optional Front Pannier ($200), Optional Front Fender ($60), Optional Rear Fender ($60), Optional Lock Holster Kit ($170), Optional Frame Protection Kit ($25)
OTHER: Maximum Rider Weight 220 lbs (99.8 kgs), Universal Vgonomic™ Frame Size (Stack and Reach Adjustment), 1 lb 2 Amp Charger or Optional 4 Amp Charger ($155), Proprietary Battery Management System (BMS), Internally Routed Cables, 30 Amp Controller
Electronic Details
MOTOR BRAND: GoCycle
MOTOR TYPE: Front-Mounted Geared Hub
Learn more about Ebike motors
MOTOR NOMINAL OUTPUT:
500 watts (250 in Some Geographies)
MOTOR PEAK OUTPUT: 750 watts
MOTOR TORQUE: 15 Newton meters
BATTERY BRAND: Panasonic
BATTERY VOLTAGE: 21.6 volts
BATTERY AMP HOURS: 13.34 ah
BATTERY WATT HOURS: 292.14 wh
BATTERY CHEMISTRY: Lithium-ion
CHARGE TIME: 6.2 hours
ESTIMATED MIN RANGE: 20 miles (32 km)
ESTIMATED MAX RANGE: 50 miles (80 km)
DISPLAY TYPE: GocycleConnect® Bluetooth App (Android and iOS)
READOUTS: Ride Mode (Eco, City, City Plus, Custom), Battery Level (Infographic with Percentage), Peformance Stats (Today, Week, All Time), Speed, Average Speed, Cadence, Calories Burned, Trip Distance, Odometer, Average Power in Watts, Equivalent Liters Per 100K, Max Speed, Average Cadence, Pedal Power in Watts, Pedal Power Max, HIT (Avg Power Over 20 Seconds Max)
DISPLAY ACCESSORIES: 4-LED Battery Level Indicator on Handlebars
DRIVE MODE: Advanced Pedal Assist, Trigger Throttle (NCTE Sensor, Wheel Speed, Cadence, Torque)
TOP SPEED: 20 mph (32 kph)

Pretty plane, and really cool hangar.
Hubby and I are both pilots and owned a 4 seat Cessna for many years. Had some really great adventures but can't imagine trying to fit a bike in the back. I'm in agreement with the GoCycle but even that may be a challenge.
Does it need to be a bicycle? Just asking because I saw a guy on an electric scooter the other day flying (no pun intended) along the trail. Just a thought.
Please post what you find.

I bought a scooter and it is too heavy and too long.
What do you mean by lightweight?

Exactly, how many lbs? 🤔

I know small aircrafts are so sensitive to weight & balance, and couple lbs of extra could mean not carrying extra fuel, luggage, increased take off distance, etc.

Does Vans Aircraft come with charts like this?

Maybe not? Since it's an experimental aircraft, it would depend on how you build it and no two Vans are the same?

Loading Graphs and CG Envelopes

1809f_pf_technique1_16x9.jpg
Full specs here... 20 mph and 40 lbs with battery:

MAKE: Gocycle
MODEL: GX
PRICE: $3,299
BODY POSITION: Upright
SUGGESTED USE: Neighborhood, Urban, Commuting, Travel
ELECTRIC BIKE CLASS: Pedal Assist (Class 1), Throttle on Demand (Class 2)
Learn more about Ebike classes
WARRANTY:
3 Year Frame, 2 Year Components, 1 Year Battery
AVAILABILITY: United States, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Worldwide
MODEL YEAR: 2019
Bicycle Details
TOTAL WEIGHT: 40.4 lbs (18.32 kg)
BATTERY WEIGHT: 4 lbs (1.81 kg)
MOTOR WEIGHT: 2.2 lbs (0.99 kg)
FRAME MATERIAL: Injection Molded Magnesium
FRAME SIZES: 12 in (30.48 cm)
GEOMETRY MEASUREMENTS: Unfolded: 12" Seat Tube Length, 22" Reach, 21.25" Stand Over Height, 22.5" Width, 62.5" Length, Folded: 15.5" Length, 29.5" Height, 31" Width
FRAME TYPES: Compact, Folding
FRAME COLORS: Matte Black, Blue, White
FRAME FORK DETAILS: Single Right Side Rigid 6061 T6 Aluminum Alloy
FRAME REAR DETAILS: Single Right Side, Gocycle Lockshock™ 25mm (1 in) Travel
ATTACHMENT POINTS: Rear Rack Bosses, Fender Bosses
GEARING DETAILS: 3 Speed 1x3 Internally Geared Shimano Nexus Hub (Gear Inches: 1st=39.1 in, 2nd=53.3 in, 3rd=72.5 in, Gear Development: 1st=3.1 m, 2nd=4.3 m, 3rd=5.8 m) with Cleandrive® Chain Case, 12 Tooth Sprocket
SHIFTER DETAILS: Microshifter Half-Grip Twist on Right
CRANKS: Alloy, Forged, 170mm Length, 32 Tooth Alloy Chainring
PEDALS: VP Folding Plastic Platform
HEADSET: Integrated Steerer, Sealed Cartridget, 1-1/8" Straight, Upside-Down (Adjustment on Bottom)
STEM: Alloy, Integrated Handlebar
HANDLEBAR: Flat, Aluminum Alloy, 560mm Length
BRAKE DETAILS: Proprietary Hydraulic Disc with 140mm Rotors, Dual-Piston Calipers, Two-Finger Levers with Adjustable Reach
GRIPS: Flat Rubber, Black
SADDLE: Velo Sport, Black
SEAT POST: Alloy with Forged Head and Telescoping Sleeve
SEAT POST LENGTH: 350 mm
SEAT POST DIAMETER: 34.9 mm
RIMS: Injection Molded Magnesium, 5 Support Arms
TIRE BRAND: Gocycle Branded Vredestein, 20" x 2.0" (50-406)
WHEEL SIZES: 20 in (50.8cm)
TIRE DETAILS: Reflective Sidewall Stripes, 35 to 60 PSI, 2.5 to 4 Bar
TUBE DETAILS: Schrader Valve
ACCESSORIES: T20 and 4 mm Combination Hex Wrench in Saddle Rail Holder for Seat Height Adjustment, Optional Integrated Light Kit $(160), Optional Front Pannier ($200), Optional Front Fender ($60), Optional Rear Fender ($60), Optional Lock Holster Kit ($170), Optional Frame Protection Kit ($25)
OTHER: Maximum Rider Weight 220 lbs (99.8 kgs), Universal Vgonomic™ Frame Size (Stack and Reach Adjustment), 1 lb 2 Amp Charger or Optional 4 Amp Charger ($155), Proprietary Battery Management System (BMS), Internally Routed Cables, 30 Amp Controller
Electronic Details
MOTOR BRAND: GoCycle
MOTOR TYPE: Front-Mounted Geared Hub
Learn more about Ebike motors
MOTOR NOMINAL OUTPUT:
500 watts (250 in Some Geographies)
MOTOR PEAK OUTPUT: 750 watts
MOTOR TORQUE: 15 Newton meters
BATTERY BRAND: Panasonic
BATTERY VOLTAGE: 21.6 volts
BATTERY AMP HOURS: 13.34 ah
BATTERY WATT HOURS: 292.14 wh
BATTERY CHEMISTRY: Lithium-ion
CHARGE TIME: 6.2 hours
ESTIMATED MIN RANGE: 20 miles (32 km)
ESTIMATED MAX RANGE: 50 miles (80 km)
DISPLAY TYPE: GocycleConnect® Bluetooth App (Android and iOS)
READOUTS: Ride Mode (Eco, City, City Plus, Custom), Battery Level (Infographic with Percentage), Peformance Stats (Today, Week, All Time), Speed, Average Speed, Cadence, Calories Burned, Trip Distance, Odometer, Average Power in Watts, Equivalent Liters Per 100K, Max Speed, Average Cadence, Pedal Power in Watts, Pedal Power Max, HIT (Avg Power Over 20 Seconds Max)
DISPLAY ACCESSORIES: 4-LED Battery Level Indicator on Handlebars
DRIVE MODE: Advanced Pedal Assist, Trigger Throttle (NCTE Sensor, Wheel Speed, Cadence, Torque)
TOP SPEED: 20 mph (32 kph)
Thank you. This bike is somewhat too large and too heavy to lift over the front seats and fit it into the rear. I like that it is obviously well made and backed.

What do you mean by lightweight?

Exactly, how many lbs? 🤔

I know small aircrafts are so sensitive to weight & balance, and couple lbs of extra could mean not carrying extra fuel, luggage, increased take off distance, etc.

Does Vans Aircraft come with charts like this?

Maybe not? Since it's an experimental aircraft, it would depend on how you build it and no two Vans are the same?

Loading Graphs and CG Envelopes

1809f_pf_technique1_16x9.jpg
I am thinking I can lift an awkward 35 lbs over the front seats, weight and balance isn't a problem for the airplane but size is. I've decided it MUST weight less than 35 lbs, and must have dimensions under 36" W x 24" H x 16" D when folded. It must have 20" wheels and be able to go 20 mph. The only bike I can find in production is the Carbo X

I am thinking I can lift an awkward 35 lbs over the front seats, weight and balance isn't a problem for the airplane but size is. I've decided it MUST weight less than 35 lbs, and must have dimensions under 36" W x 24" H x 16" D when folded. It must have 20" wheels and be able to go 20 mph. The only bike I can find in production is the Carbo X

I re-read the EBR review and found that you can remove the 4 lb battery and get the bike weight down to 36 lbs and also remove the wheels... now you are close 30 lbs! ;)

Observations:
  • Made in the Gocycle traditon of being a brand new frame and bicycle design from the ground up, this doesn’t take existing frames or systems and components, but rather is a complete redesign of an ebike, the purpose of the GX here is to be a unique folding electric bicycle, different from many others in design and engineering
  • The frame is solid using an injection molded magnesium structure, this is very impressive, light, and sturdy, if you look around there are solid pieces, such as the one-sided fork, stem, and handlebars all being welded together, the welds are seamless and high quality too… very solid, something most would be proud of
  • In addition to the frame, the design and aesthetics are also very unique, Gocycle is known for their unparalleled engineering, one of their claims to fame is that the company was started by a former McLaren engineer, for those unfamiliar with McLaren, they are a highly successful automotive manufacture in the UK that is famous for their race cars and hyper sports cars
  • A fully featured, lightweight, and unique design from the ground up folding electric bike from a company known for innovation and engineering, one of the sleekest and exotic folding bikes out there, a real head turner and joy to ride
  • The wheels are made of magnesium instead of traditional spokes, the magnesium wheel is superior since it needs no tuning or adjusting of any kind, these are also much stronger and handle weight better
  • For tires, the GX makes use of a set of these specific 20” x 2” ballon tires, These are very comfortable with a higher air volume and are perfect for the street with the included tread pattern, I also love that these have a reflective sidewall stripe for visibility and safety, very cool
  • The bike is comes in at around 40lbs which is pretty light weight, and that weight includes the battery, motor, and everything on the bike ready to ride, if you wanted to shed some weight for carrying it around or loading it on and off a rack, you could always remove the battery and stow it somewhere else
  • The folding aspect is designed to be quite fast and speedy, once it is folded it is secure and easy to carry since it is pretty light weight, check the video for a demonstration, I found it to be quick and easy
  • Gocycle calls the protection around the drivetrain “Clean Drive”, so not only is everything enclosed to keep you clean, but it has benefits for complete protection of the internals, some may say this would hinder maintenance, but the internal gearing system needs much less than a typical bike, I love that it can keep grease out of where you store the bike too like in the office or an airplane
1600798226663.png
1600798249590.png

There's not a lot of data on the Carbo X in regards to users and how well it has held up. If you do get one, put a ride report on the forum after some miles to let folks know how its holding up.

One other option is the Luna Folding Ebike, which is a converted Mosso folder. It comes in at 38 lbs per the specs. Fully folded dimensions: 16.1" x 33.9" x 25.6", which makes it just a little large. But with the BBS02, 20mph would not be an issue. If you can deal with the size, Luna may be able to spec a smaller battery to save a few lbs.

You could always convert an existing folding bike. That would give you the most options to find what you are after.

The United City One Ebike, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-one-world-s-lightest-electric-folding-bike#/, meets the criteria except it has 16" wheels. It only weighs 27.5 lbs.

I can't think of much else. The Brompton electric is small and light enough but only reaches 15.5 mph and has 16" wheels. They are tough little folders though and seem to last forever.

There's not a lot of data on the Carbo X in regards to users and how well it has held up. If you do get one, put a ride report on the forum after some miles to let folks know how its holding up.

One other option is the Luna Folding Ebike, which is a converted Mosso folder. It comes in at 38 lbs per the specs. Fully folded dimensions: 16.1" x 33.9" x 25.6", which makes it just a little large. But with the BBS02, 20mph would not be an issue. If you can deal with the size, Luna may be able to spec a smaller battery to save a few lbs.

You could always convert an existing folding bike. That would give you the most options to find what you are after.

The United City One Ebike, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-one-world-s-lightest-electric-folding-bike#/, meets the criteria except it has 16" wheels. It only weighs 27.5 lbs.

I can't think of much else. The Brompton electric is small and light enough but only reaches 15.5 mph and has 16" wheels. They are tough little folders though and seem to last forever.

THank you. I went ahead and ordered a Carbo X today. It seems to be the lightest 20", 20mph, smallest size folding bike in production. I was hoping someone on here bought one. In many ways I would much rather have the GoCycle as they have a great reputation but I think too large and heavy for me at 69 to heft into the plane and then over the seats.

THank you. I went ahead and ordered a Carbo X today. It seems to be the lightest 20", 20mph, smallest size folding bike in production. I was hoping someone on here bought one.
In many ways I would much rather have the GoCycle as they have a great reputation but I think too large and heavy for me at 69 to heft into the plane and then over the seats.

A nice review of the Carbo X ... Good, fast, or cheap, pick all 3 ;)

Impressive specs for a 12.9kg/28.5lbs carbon frame bike with an airline carry on bag.

Back