Slack Pace

jonny boy

Region
USA
Hi,

I was able to test drive an Aventon Pace 500 locally. It is on the short list because, well, I am short, and it is one of the few budget ebikes for shortys with an actual top tube. It fit pretty well - I don't like the backsweep on the bars but that is easy enough to change. That saddle would have to go also along with probably another 1/2 lb of unnecessary weight.

However, what can't be changed is the slack head and seat angles. I am bugged especially by the seat angle. Does anyone ride this and find pedaling to be a chore, or just not in the right position for efficient pedaling? I can test drive it again to hopefully answer that for myself. I realize it is cruiser style, and the Level is more aggressive, but also 15 lbs heavier which just irks me. I guess I am looking for a reasonably lightweight ebike for commuting that has a more traditional look, and fits my stumpy legs (28" inseam). This fits the bill fairly well except for the slack.

Thanks

Hello;
I am 74 ( going on 20!)and was also looking for a ebike with a more traditional look. So we choose the Pace 500. I have replaced the stock handlebar with a mountain bike style bar, cut down a bit. I did not replace the stock adjustable stem, but may in the future. Also replaced the cruiser saddle with a Specialized Body Geometry Gel saddle which is the same as I have on my regular Specialized bike. The stock cruiser seat is “tuff on the butt “ if you peddle very much! The wife has a Pace 500 in the step thru version. She also changed her seat.
we recently did a 5o + mile round trip with 15-17 mph headwinds on the return. We peddled in PAS 1 and 2 the entire trip.
Bikes were excellent. Both bikes rode great With the modifications we made. BTW my inseam is closer to 29.
hope this helps! Enjoy!

KWR

Thanks! I should just go ride it again, maybe right now. I should drop my pre-conception of the seat angle and just see how it feels. It looks well put-together overall and I like to support the LBS.

I bought a Pace 500 Friday! I am enjoying it. I have used it for a couple errands already around town. On flats PAS 5 with a light pedal has me about 31 MPH, sweet, sometimes scary. At that speed, the difference between driving and biking is pretty minimal, maybe a few minutes on a 6 mile trip to get bagels this morning. I can mix multi-use bike paths and roads any direction in town, depending if I want fast straightaways on roads or a slower, peaceful ride on trail. So far I am keeping it PAS 2 on the trails, to keep speed in check.

I swapped the handlebars for some old mtbiking riser bars I had, the shop actually gave me credit and did the swap for me, saving me some time. Also swapped that large monstrosity of a saddle for an old WTB saddle I had on hand - and got a bell out of the shop cool - but I probably will buy a new saddle that is a little cush, like a WTB Rocket.

Back