SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

I thought something smelled like a fireplace, and then I came around a corner to this. Nothing like a forest fire to make the day more interesting! I figured with the truck tracks there I'd be fine, but it did get a bit warm. And a lot smokey 😁

IMG-0926.jpg

A little later I saw this. That smoke, even a little, hurts the lungs and eyes...

These are prescribed burns, but a little warning at the trailhead would be nice!

IMG-0929.jpg

my neck problems are starting to be a real problem for longer rides
Beautiful photos. I get some neck burn on my rides also, on my Vado and mountain bike both. I think coming more upright is the only solution unless exercises can make your neck more flexible. I have a 50mm riser bar on the Vado, which helps, and a riser bar and 28 degree stem on the MTB.

Reactions: PaD
Anyone see a blimp hangar before? This one is about a mile from my house. There's a Costco across the street.
View attachment 53125
As we get closer...
View attachment 53126
And closer....
View attachment 53127
And closer...
View attachment 53128
Hello Costco!
View attachment 53131
What was once Moffett Field Air Station at the south end of San Francisco bay was home to 3 dirigible hangers starting with hanger 1 in the 30's.

The largest, hanger 1, was over 200 feet high. Enclosing an area of 8 acres it's reportedly one of the largest freestanding structures ever built . It's external metal sheeting has been removed in recent years but back in the day it was infamous for having its own weather when the huge 200 ton doors were shut. It was originally built for the USNavy's dirigible the USS Macon. After the Macon was lost in 1935 the hanger was used for airplane service and storage until finally abandoned in the 1990's.

390764main_A91-0261-19_946-710.jpg

Hanger 1 and the USS Macon - NASA image

297807main_23_ratio_946-710.jpg

Hanger 1 in the 80's - NASA image

20150331__0401moffett41.jpg

Hanger 1 today

The 1,000Ac site was taken over by Google in 2015 under a 60 year lease. Google plans to restore the structures and repurpose them for drone and robotics development.

The hangers are located near Google's headquarters in Mountain View, CA. You can get a great water side view of the hangers from the south end of the San Francisco Bay recreation trail; https://baytrail.org/ .

What was once Moffett Field Air Station at the south end of San Francisco bay was home to 3 dirigible hangers starting with hanger 1 in the 30's.

The largest, hanger 1, was over 200 feet high. Enclosing an area of 8 acres it's reportedly one of the largest freestanding structures ever built . It's external metal sheeting has been removed in recent years but back in the day it was infamous for having its own weather when the huge 200 ton doors were shut. It was originally built for the USNavy's dirigible the USS Macon. After the Macon was lost in 1935 the hanger was used for airplane service and storage until finally abandoned in the 1990's.

View attachment 53168
Hanger 1 and the USS Macon - NASA image

View attachment 53169
Hanger 1 in the 80's - NASA image

View attachment 53170
Hanger 1 today

The 1,000Ac site was taken over by Google in 2015 under a 60 year lease. Google plans to restore the structures and repurpose them for drone and robotics development.

The hangers are located near Google's headquarters in Mountain View, CA. You can get a great water side view of the hangers from the south end of the San Francisco Bay recreation trail; https://baytrail.org/ .

Thanks for sharing the history of the Air Ship hangers at Moffett Field Air Station... a fitting tribute on Memorial Day to our those who served in the Armed Forces.🇺🇲

A view from my recent ride in the Bay Area foothills above Moutain View/Los Altos, CA. ;)

1590262859471.png

Last edited:
Back