Should I wait to buy my 1st e-bike?

DDBB

With the huge number of e-bike sellers, some being questionable, and the ever changing (improving) technology I'm wondering if it would be smart to wait until next year (at least) for things to settle down and weed out some of the bad sellers.. I really want an e-bike but the closest dealer is 45min. away and only sells and services pedego.. I've gone for a test ride and like the bike well enough (ridgerider, $3,695) but they go for at least $1,000 more than comparable e-bikes found elsewhere. I'm nervous about buying my bike online and having little or no support for it afterwards, this makes the pedego dealer attractive but almost four thousand seems like a rip off to me.....Thoughts?... btw, we live close to a huge network of bike trails and can go long distances on MUP trails, We're in our 60's (yes, my wife will need one too) and the uphill sections have kept us from doing them extensively on our regular bikes.. The other issue is MI has determined class one e-bikes are allowed on ALL trails but class 2 and 3 are at the discretion of local authorities.. Since the pedego I rode is a class 2 with a throttle , the dealer (super nice guy btw) said "just disconnect the throttle and now it's a class one"..... Sounds good but not sure LEO would buy that, especially if the start strict enforcement in the future..

Most manufacturers have announced price increases due to new tariffs already, so probably the optimum time to purchase an e-bike was a few weeks ago.

Although more rounds of tariffs seem likely in this new trade war so if you're interested in purchasing an e-bike it seems wise to do so soon, at a minimum it could save you several hundred dollars, possibly more.

Most manufacturers have announced price increases due to new tariffs already, so probably the optimum time to purchase an e-bike was a few weeks ago.

Although more rounds of tariffs seem likely in this new trade war so if you're interested in purchasing an e-bike it seems wise to do so soon, at a minimum it could save you several hundred dollars, possibly more.
I think I have one more day to decide before price increases take effect... No way I'll be able to make up my mind that quickly. I cant believe the vast number of manufacturers when I visit the brand specific forum... I've been looking at M2S and FLX.....Both mail order only. I can handle the assembly but worry about issues w/o support.. THanks for posting

....I'm wondering if it would be smart to wait until next year (at least) for things to settle down and weed out some of the bad sellers.....pedego... like the bike well enough (ridgerider, $3,695)....

The tariff's might eliminate a few brands. No need to wait if you stay with established and well supported labels like Trek, Specialized, etc, etc. There are better ebikes for less than $3695.

The tariff's might eliminate a few brands. No need to wait if you stay with established and well supported labels like Trek, Specialized, etc, etc. There are better ebikes for less than $3695.
Trek and Specialized are even MORE $$$$ than pedego...Unless you get the base 250watt no suspension models. I realize you get what you pay for but even w/ out e-drive, trek and specialized are expensive rides

Trek and Specialized are even MORE $$$$ than pedego...

Yes, and that is because the warranty support and dealer support that many customers find valuable does not come for free. And Trek makes great bikes.

For all of the criticisms of Pedego on this forum, I'll say that their dealer support is awesome. If anything breaks on the bike during the warranty period it was fixed no questions asked and at no cost to me. That's what that extra $1000 is buying you. Whether that is worth it or not is only a question that you can answer.

Yes, and that is because the warranty support and dealer support that many customers find valuable does not come for free. And Trek makes great bikes.

For all of the criticisms of Pedego on this forum, I'll say that their dealer support is awesome. If anything breaks on the bike during the warranty period it was fixed no questions asked and at no cost to me. That's what that extra $1000 is buying you. Whether that is worth it or not is only a question that you can answer.
Yes and two year warranty I believe on Pedego...

I went with a EProdigy Magic with the step thru. Its a class 2 with a 2 year warranty on battery and 5 years on the frame. BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! Came from Canada and I received it within 6 days of order. I did upgrade the battery, fenders and LCD. At this point, they have not raised their prices. Of course free shipping. I love my bike and use it everyday for errands and for fun.

I love my ebike so much... my husband loves his ...my daughter loves hers ... my son loves his ... and we get so much out of them, for most of us, daily (except in the current awful smoky pollution that is forcing our bikes to stay parked for a time ...). We ride our bikes more than we thought we would--for my husband, son and I, much, much more.

If you can afford ebikes, I think you will enjoy them whenever you get them.

If you think you won't use the bikes, then delay. If you want to ride, then every day you have the bikes is a day of increased moderate exercise, which, for most of us, is a very good thing.

We have Pedego bikes. Happy with them! There have been some controller adjustments in some areas that have changed the riding experience (and not for the better), but controllers can be replaced. I mention this as something to keep in mind when you try a bike. If you don't like the riding experience, ask about getting a different controller.

Also, on Pedego pricing. I took my bike to a local very experienced bike tech. He looked over my bike, asked what I paid, and said, "Worth every penny." He was impressed with the components and build of the bike. So, I don't think they are overpriced by $1,000. When I look at bikes that are $1,000 cheaper, they are missing some feature that I like in my bike. And, the dealer support IS terrific. Our dealer is generous and helpful with their time and attention. Certainly excellent after-market support adds to the cost of the bike. Is that worth paying more? It is to me.

We got our bikes at the end of April and have 4,000 thousand of mile on them, combined.

My dad, BTW, who is in his 80's, tried one of our bikes and decided he wanted an ebike. He bought a very cheap online ebike. He rides a little bit every day, and it has been great for him. He's a tinkerer and an electrical engineer, so whatever goes wrong he likely can fix. He's very happy with his bottom-of-the-line ride that has no local customer support.

So, what works for you very much depends on YOU. :)

Yes and two year warranty I believe on Pedego...

Yes, that's right. Also, if you purchase an approved lock when you buy your bike, it comes with replacement insurance should your registered bike be stolen and not recovered by the police within 30 days. Do read the text of this additional warranty if you are interested, as it doesn't cover repairs to a recovered-but-damaged bike.

But the problem with Pedego in his particular circumstance is that the closest dealer is 45 min away.

Yup, that's a drag. Ours is a 1 hour bike ride away ... about 15 miles. That has been great. We are fortunate to be surrounded by places that sell ebikes. I hope that more and more bike shops will start carrying ebikes!

But the problem with Pedego in his particular circumstance is that the closest dealer is 45 min away. Which cause moderate inconvenience...

I'm sorry, but not all of us live in urban areas. For the record, it is over an hour drive (for me) in summer conditions to the nearest Safeway, Starbuck's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and traffic light. My Pedego dealer is about a ninety minute drive away. Costco is two hours. My bank, accountant, dentist, and a car dealership that can service my rig is an overnight trip. No complaints but convenience is relative.

I bought my bikes from a dealer over 3 hours away. Worth every minute of the drive. Rode the Haibikes out of the dealer and after over 2,100 miles on each, never had to go back. Yup, double the cost of internet bikes. High end components, being fit to the bike with a selection of frame sizes, and no problems of any sort is worth every penny. I didn’t buy the bikes to be a bike mechanic, I bought them to ride.

There are cheaper bikes out there that might fit the bill. Some even have dealer support and warranty support. Check out Giant. This model is similar to the Ridgerider. it's $1200 cheaper, 20 MPH assist and no throttle. I have been very happy with my Giant.

Don't wait. I bought mine a few weeks ago and love it. I'm 60, and in middling shape. I have dedicated bike paths all around me and have been riding almost every day since I bought it. Like you, I have a Pedego dealer nearby (30 mins) but not much else. I rented an ebike when I was in Europe this summer and became instantly convinced I wanted one. I bought mine online (a Blix Aveny, about $2,000) and they shipped to my local bike shop where they put it together and made all the necessary adjustments and safety checks. It's daunting to make the expensive purchase, but if your heart is yearning to ride a bike, this is a great way to do it with comfort and confidence as we age.

It will be a long time before the technology (batteries) improve enough to make it worth waiting for.
Yes, lithium battery tech hasn't made much progress in the last few years with the exception of graphene packs.. Motor and drive technology seems to be evolving at a rapid pace though

I appreciate all the replies.. We ride our regular bikes quite often but I'm sure we'd ride a LOT more with e-bikes so they are definitely in our future.. I'll keep reading the reviews, it's a daunting task to pick two e-bikes from all the offerings. P.S.. Just looked at offerings from Giant, very nice and less than Trek or Specialized, thanks

Last edited:
Back