Shifting issue

Silvercat

Hi,
My Moscow Plus shifts from the low (small front chain ring) to the large (third), missing the middle or second chain ring.
But, when shifting from large ring down to second, then to first or small chain ring, there is no problem. Problem occurs only when trying to shift from low ring to middle one. The chain will go to the large or 3rd ring, missing the middle ring.
Any suggestions? My bike has only 147 km (about 91 miles). Perhaps a small adjustment is needed?
Thanks!

Did you get the bike mail order or from a shop? It sounds like your front derailleur is incorrectly indexed and has tension in the cable still when it is on the smallest chain ring, it shouldn't have any. If you got the bike from a shop then I would take it back and ask them to re-index it for you and show you how to do it yourself. If you got it mail order then you can either go and introduce yourself to the LBS and ask them to do it and show you how or you can do it yourself, it's easy enough. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show you how but basically you want to change down to the smallest front chain ring and then release the clamp holding the cable in place you will probably find that it will retract slightly, just hold it taut between your finger and thumb and tighten the clamp again and give it a try. You do not need to pull the cable with any force and certainly don't use any pliers at all when holding it taut.

If you find that the chain catches on the derailleur cage or wants to come off either side when changing then your high/low screws may need adjusting but again YouTube or your LBS will help you.

I agree you might be out of adjustment, maybe a little too much tension on the cable, you can microadjust at the shifter (there's a nob where the cable attaches). It may also have something to do with the shifter itself, I know you can go up and down up to 3 gears at once on the rear derailleur, it may be possible to "jump" gears on the front as well

Back