Shifting Barrel Adjuster Stuck - replace shifter needed?

hoboin

Region
USA
hello all, i finally got my old electric bike up and running and im dealing with a problem. I was trying to adjust the alignment and it was VERY hard to turn to adjust. I seemed to have adjusted it too far one direction, and now the whole barrel adjuster is stuck and i can not pull it out to adjust it. It just wiggles a few cm's left or right, but i can't pull it out. I tried small pliers and my hands hurt from trying. I was really frustrated and didn't know what to do, i was pulling on the cable, pushing it in, and it just broke off.

What are my options here? I noticed the housing for the cable that broke off is very long. I'm hoping i can still use that housing, and won't have to replace it. I happen to have a 7 speed shifter, brand new, from amazon when i purchased a 21 speed mountain bike shifter for another bike. I can use that if needed i believe, but i would prefer saving the shifter because it's nicer but i think the barrel adjuster is broken.
barrel-adjuster-stuck.jpg

barrel-adjuster-broken01.jpg

I would have tried lubricating it before I applied too much force. However, if it is broken, you will have to replace it. Shifters are not that expensive. What is the make/model of your rear derailleur?

It's the nexus 7 internal hub gear. I bought a 21 speed (7 and 3) shifters from amazon, i would assume they are kind of unversal? 7 speed IHG and i bought the 21 speed (7 speed) mountain bike shifter from amazon.

The nut that holds the cable on the nexus 7 is really annoying btw, not sure how to easily remove the cable from the nut.

The are not universal. Different brands have different cable pull ratios. The shifter for the Nexus 7 is about $15. If you don't like the twist shifter, this is an opportunity to change to a thumb shifter.

ok i understand. I will consider a non twist shifter, i have hand eczema and doing "the twist" is a little painful sometimes it seems.

how do i know if i have the right one? I found this by googling..

The only officially compatible shifter for the Nexus Inter-7 are the gripshift (Revoshift) or trigger (Rapidfire) ones. There is no official solution for bar-end shifters.

so probably this guy?

but it doesn't seem to come with the barrel adjuster, do i have to re-use mine or replace it?

i think that above one is wrong, i think more like this correct?

Get a MicroShift lever shifter for Nexus 7-Sp. It is fast, smooth, inexpensive and indexed correctly.
Twist shifters can be taken apart and repaired with silicone gel. But not after they are broken.

hmmm looks like i was able to jam the cable back in and forced it counter clockwise.. i fixed it! the cable is holding and i was able to adjust it!! i got lucky.. i was just about to place the order too!

hmmm looks like i was able to jam the cable back in and forced it counter clockwise.. i fixed it! the cable is holding and i was able to adjust it!! i got lucky.. i was just about to place the order too!
Congratulations. That is the MicroShift for Nexus/Alfine 7-speed hubs. You will be able to use a half-link chain on this bike.
Get some silicone gel and get it inside the twist shifter. Unlike oil it does not hurt plastic or rubber. It is great on cables - keeps out water too. This also is used to lubricate treadmills and for treating scars, so if you plan on having a C-section, you will be ready!

Attachments

• DSCF7387 (2).jpg
    DSCF7387 (2).jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 306
i'm really glad i was able to fix it, the shifter was in great condition and really had a nice look to it with large glass window. I went out for a 15 mile ride and it shifted better than it ever has. This was my 100th mile with this late 1990's electric bike and it's been a lot of fun getting it in working condition and seeing if it will work for me and also to see what features i will want in a future electric bike for myself. I will get some silicone gel. I'm not planning on having a c-section, but if i meet the right kind of danny devito like guy, who knows?

Don't get so attached to any bike's original shifter unless you are in it for original genuine restoration.

Any 7-speed shifter will do, and this is an opportunity to replace it with something that may like better, especially if you lack experience of having tried many other types.

Shifters are very personal things and there is no best. Shimano makes an endless ton of them. Some enjoy their grip shifts. Some enjoy their finger triggers. Some enjoy their V-brakes shifters that are a fusion combo of brakes and triggers. Some enjoy their vintage levers.

Find a friendly LBS/hoarder with a huge inventory where you can try many out.

yeah i'm over this shifter now, haha. I ordered the thumb one and i am just wondering if i need to replace the cable housing on it or not.
1635878872769.png

Yes. The new shifter will come with a new cable. Go to a local bike shop and buy premium housing at about $6 per foot. It is worth every penny. Ask for Jagwire or similar. See if your local auto parts store or fishing/sporting goods store has Lucas or Shimano fishing reel lube. It has a needle tip. Use that inside the new housing. It works with metals and plastics, prevents even salt water corrosion while keeping things slick.

thanks, ordered the 4mm housing cable from jagwire and just found the Lucas Fishing Reel Oil. I believe i already have the housing cutter. Looks like i can install a longer gooseneck too, so i will probably need to buy longer housing cable for the brakes.

Post a photo of the "stem". There are a bunch of different standards for them. Many mountain bikes are 31.8, 31.8 on the threadless steer tube and the handlebar clamp. I ordered one yesterday for a bike that is 1-1/8 inches on the steer tube and 25.4mm on the clamp. Search for riser stem. Or just stem. Some articulate. They typically range from 60mm long to 130mm. Also look at moustache bars. These make for a much better hand position by bringing your thumbs forward slightly and pinkies down.

Here is on example of a Dutch Style bar. I am not advocating this particular site. Just the hand position. Paste into your browser.
UPANBIKE Bike Handlebar Urban Road Bike Retro Handlebar Moustache Shape Extra Wide Dutch M Shape (25.4mm 600mm)
You can trim 3/4 of an inch from each end. 600mm is big. The bike in the photo had an uncomfortable flat bar.
I had to, as part of my job today, take 1/3 of the battery down on a 1,000 watt Ultra bike with a flat bar by riding it. Now my wrists hurt. The guy is going to Germany for joint replacement surgery tomorrow. He will be gone 4-months and the battery should not be stored that long on a full charge. I put this bar on another of his bikes, an HD, and he loves it. Everyone does.
1635988142531.jpeg

Back