ShareRoller - Quick and Dirty Electric Bikes

Thanks, that's a good update.

I have been keeping an eye on the progress for sometime.

One thing that does worry me however is I have also been tracking the GO-E onwheel and whilst an inferior product to what seems the SR will be, they have had a number of issues/delays once the components are put together so the April timeline may slip. I hope that is not the case and fingers crossed.

Unlucky for me I missed the Indiegogo campaign so still in for a long wait it seems as no mention of when they will ship to non backers and unfortunately the website is well out of date :(

Regards

Jamie

I feel the same frustration. There's a lot of information about what is happening in regards to shipments for those that were part of the 'campaign' and how the product itself has change significantly.

All that work to deliver a few hundred units? Or all that work to make a product that will be for sale at some point???

I want one. Why no discussion of the company's plans in these updates or on the company's web pages?

Brian

I cannot answer for ShareRoller or Jeff, but he sometimes does comment on this forum. You could try messaging him directly on here at https://electricbikereview.com/forums/members/jeff-guida.3799/

I would have to guess that they intend to offer it for sale again as soon as production is up and running. They have spent years developing and improving the design, so it would not make any sense that they would not offer it for sale to a wider audience.

Thank you very much for posting the ShareRoller emails. I am one of the more recent ShareRoller fans who didn't learn about it until after the Indiegogo campaign had closed. I was about to buy an electric scooter for my short commute, but that same day I found the ShareRoller web site and was immediately smitten.

The two major reasons I want a ShareRoller and think it will be a giant success: (1) it makes the expensive part of buying an electric bike or scooter a one-time purchase, (2) I can leave my $250 bike locked up at the rack outside of work or at a store and carry the expensive part of the electric bike with me. As I expect to use my ShareRoller with a bike and a scooter and ride them for commuting and exercising and fun, those are the reasons I have waited for the ShareRoller rather than fill my need immediately. Only a removable device will reduce my concern about theft, and no current removable device I found looks close to as great as the ShareRoller appears to be. I am prepared to be disappointed by reality, but I am optimistic about everything I have seen so far.

Though I want a ShareRoller as soon as possible, I see that the Patent Office wheel turns more slowly than a ShareRoller wheel. Here are the listings I found after searching for "jeff guida patents":

ADAPTABLE FASTENING MECHANISMS FOR VARIOUS SIZED TUBING
Filed: October 19, 2016
Publication date: February 9, 2017

AUTOMATIC TRACTION CONTROL FOR FRICTION DRIVES
Filed: August 8, 2016
Publication date: December 1, 2016

Portable Multi-Platform Friction Drive System with Retractable Motor Drive Assembly
Filed: February 7, 2015
Publication date: September 8, 2016

Good luck to Jeff and to all the Indiegogo backers. We in the general public are waiting our turn full of hope.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, it's Jeff from ShareRoller. Apologies for not responding to many of your questions previously. We've just been completely focused on finalizing all the new engineering packed into the SRV4 and getting production into motion. Not nearly enough time for proper marketing outreach...

Thanks Nirmala for sharing our updates here. Just to clarify, we will absolutely begin selling the new SRV4 as soon as we start shipping to our Indiegogo backers. Please look for emails to come regarding the new launch and ordering opportunities, hopefully sometime in April. And if you haven't added your email to our webpage list ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)) please do so.

Thanks so much for the continued enthusiasm!
-Jeff

Another email update from Jeff Guida with both good news and bad news:

Our durability testing of the final SRV4 production prototypes is almost complete, and the performance of the new SR4 design has truly astonished; it's exceeding even our highest ambitions for the product. We really can't wait for all of you to experience it firsthand!

And we're _almost_ there, but unfortunately it's going to be another month before production kicks off. We realize Summer is almost upon us and everyone is beyond ready to receive their SR's, but please understand we are doing everything we possibly can to get these assembled and shipped as quickly as possible.

There were two main reasons for the timeline slip:

1) We weren't happy with the retract and hold reliability of our custom retractable battery cable, and to improve this required a tiny increase in the diameter of the retractor housing (literally from 70mm to 73mm). And believe it or not, this change then necessitated multiple changes to the battery pack housing design as well, which was just about to go to tooling... So lots and lots of unexpected CAD redesign here and weeks of back-and-forth with two different suppliers.

2) We finally had a chance to do extended load testing of the new sealed motors in warm weather and were not satisfied with the high exterior temperatures we measured. We were worried this might be an issue, as when we moved to fully sealed motors for durability, we had to abandon the airflow cooling that enabled the open-air SRV2 motors to remain within temp limits. However, given what we've learned through years of real-world testing, it was an absolutely essential change: contrary to what some may say, open-air motors WILL degrade rather quickly in outdoor bike/scooter use, as dirt and debris enter the motor and cannot be fully removed via simple cleaning methods (i.e. water rinsing).

And while reviews show competitors' friction-drive motors exceeding 250F during use (even with open-air designs!), this is not something we would accept for SRV4 (even though our top-quality magnets and windings can withstand 300F), as these high temps might damage tires and could certainly cause burns (especially important given the removable nature of SRV4). Fortunately, we were able to solve this problem with a few clever engineering changes (that we're not going to disclose at the moment for competitive reasons). And we've now achieved the magical combination of long-term durability without overheating challenges. We're very happy with the improved performance and you will be too.

Needless to say, both of these unplanned changes took many weeks of additional engineering and prototyping work. But they are now complete and we've begun placing final production orders this week, and expect to have them all placed by next week. Given our suppliers' 3 to 4 week production timelines, this should enable us to begin final assembly by mid to late May, and start shipping very soon thereafter.

Before we sign off, here's one surprising result we've learned during testing that we thought you would appreciate: SRV4's true regenerative braking is a lot more beneficial than we expected!

Recall that unlike many friction-drive competitors that claim 'regen' for the drag imparted by the motor when not in use (and others that can't even claim that since the motor falls off the tire any time power is removed), the new SRV4 offers true regen BRAKING that can actively slow the bike while recharging the batteries.

Well, based on our testing to-date, it appears that SRV4's regen braking can extend range by as much as 20-30% in hilly conditions or frequent stop-start riding! This is a lot more than we'd expected, and should truly make a difference in your real-world battery range.

And the coolest part is that you can watch your regen braking recharge the battery with pinpoint accuracy via the SRV4 phone app's real-time Watt-Hr consumption readout. It's quite satisfying to watch the 'fuel-tank' refill as you moderate speed down a long incline via regen. And so much better than wearing out your brake pads :)

Fingers crossed that our next email will be to confirm shipping addresses and advise of ship dates. Thanks again for your unbelievable patience and support.

Jeff Guida & The ShareRoller Team

"[T]his should enable us to begin final assembly by mid to late May, and start shipping very soon thereafter."

Thank you as always, Nirmala, for posting the email. Those of us not on the email list really appreciate it.

After you Indiegogo folks get your Sharerollers, I hope to be in the next group that receives them because we ordered them on the first day that it was possible.

This is going to be great!

Lets hope the shipping starts as mentioned in May. There still sounds like a lot of product changes/tweaks going on which could cause further delays however and I would prefer to hear worse case scenario i.e June/July shipping but with a definite promise they would be delivered than for it to be pushed back by months at a time. Time will tell....

I wonder how much recent updates will affect pricing for us non backers who missed the original campaign? Shareroller.com really needs updating to start taking orders!

"[W]e now expect final assembly to kick-off in late June."

In the meantime, with electric hub motor kits being available from WalMart for under $170, I can make do with a lesser e-bike while waiting for the wonderful ShareRoller v4. At that price it helps allay my concern about an expensive electric bike being stolen.

"[W]e now expect final assembly to kick-off in late June."

In the meantime, with electric hub motor kits being available from WalMart for under $170, I can make do with a lesser e-bike while waiting for the wonderful ShareRoller v4. At that price it helps allay my concern about an expensive electric bike being stolen.

Where did you get the info about assembly happening in late June?

I got the information from one of the only two places I know of that, for now, have news and/or comments about the ShareRoller. (I regularly do Google News searches for "shareroller" and/or "Jeff Guida.")

(1) ShareRoller's Indiegogo comments page:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shareroller-add-on-e-power-for-bikes-scooters#/comments

(2) ElectricBikeReview.com -- where we are right now

From Jeff's latest comments on the Indiegogo page, they will be updating ShareRoller.com. I hope that soon my two sources of news and comments about the ShareRoller will be (1) ShareRoller.com and (2) ElectricBikeReview.com.

Here is one of the comments Jeff left yesterday:
Lots of pictures and video coming next month, along with a re-launch of shareroller.com, so you’ll finally be able to see all the details of the incredible new functionality we’ve packed into the redesigned SRV4. It’s going to be a game-changer for the E-Bike and Scooter world, and we can’t wait to share it with you! Thank you again for believing in and supporting the ShareRoller vision, and for your patience with all the extra time it’s taking to bring that vision to reality!

An update may be on the way by tomorrow. Here is what was posted on the IndieGogo.com page:
24 hours ago
Sorry everyone – our Update was held up by our patent attorney for disclosure reasons. Should go out within 48 hrs now. Stay tuned!

Below is a link to an excellent article about delays in shipping crowdfunded products:
https://arstechnica.com/information...the-wait-inside-kickstarters-world-of-delays/

Here is a bit of the article...
Between Kickstarter’s frauds and phenoms live long-delayed projects
Despite its complications, crowdsourcing enables diverse creators, outperforms VC funding.
Like Lima, many product-oriented Kickstarter projects, even the multimillion dollar ones, tend to stumble because they hit a logistics dead zone. They’re too big to hand-make but too small to get clout with overseas manufacturers, who are used to dealing with and prioritizing much larger companies with much larger orders. Perhaps rightfully, project creators tend to feel like they are at the absolute bottom of the priority list.
Ethan Mollick, a professor in management at University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, does some of the most quoted research on the business of crowdfunding. In a 2013 study, he found that 316 of the 471 successfully funded projects analyzed—all with estimated delivery dates of July 2012 or earlier—promised to deliver a physical product. Only three of those 471 projects had declared failure and offered refunds, while another 11 dropped off the map and stopped responding to their backers. Actual shameless fraud appeared rare.

"The concerns about the ability of projects to deliver, however, are supported," Mollick wrote. Only 24.9 percent of the projects analyzed delivered on time, and 33 percent "had yet to deliver" at the time of analysis. The average delay measured 2.4 months. Projects that raise ten times their goal are half as likely to deliver on time.

Mollick also found a correlation between how much money a project raised and delays: projects that raised under $50,000 had a near-perfect delivery rate after eight months' delay, while projects that raised more than $50,000 hovered around a 75 percent delivery rate eight months later. According to the New York Times Magazine, Mollick reported that since his 2012 evaluation, another 14 percent of projects had delivered either nothing or a subpar product.

Mollick takes the opposite stance. "I'm impressed so many things get delivered at all," he told Ars.
The more abstract benefits of Kickstarter aside, it seems worth noting that the system can and does work, and not just in the sense of delivering products. Emily Brooke, the creator of the Blaze bike light, raised more than twice her goal (£55,000 on £25,000) and said that while the hardware manufacturing process was "flipping hard," the experience was worth it and interacting with her backers was a great experience.

Campaigns can get "a s*it ton of grief and abuse," said Brooke, "but our backers have always been brilliant." Creators often credit their backers with doing more than putting up money; they influence the design and provide encouragement when creators update them on how the project is going. When faced with the choice that always seems to come up in the funding aftermath—ship a mediocre product on time or a good product late—Brooke merely polled her backers. Of 471 backers who responded, 465 preferred her to ship later. So although she missed her estimated delivery of April 2013, she posted a January 2014 with the subject line "THEY'RE ON THEIR WAY!!!" Brooke plans on mounting a new campaign this year.

Another update and another delay (once again due to improvements to the design):

Hello ShareRoller Indiegogo backer:

We've made a LOT of progress since our last Update, but unfortunately have also encountered a few unanticipated delays. We'll try to share as much color as we can below so you understand both our challenges and accomplishments.

So we're nearly ready to begin assembly of the first 150 unit batch of the new ShareRoller SR4. Our team of suppliers (we have 7 different suppliers!) has been manufacturing the first batch of SR4 subcomponents since early May, and first shipments (of subcomponents) should be going out any week (we've learned that 3-4 week production estimates seem to become 4-6 weeks+ as standard practice..)

Nevertheless, here's what's ready to ship from our suppliers imminently:

- Drive Motors: We've talked a lot about these before, so you know how amazing they are - we can't wait to have hundreds of them sitting on our assembly floor!
- Custom urethane Drive Belts: We've had to go through several iterations of molding to get the fit just right on these, fortunately it's a quick turn-around so they're fully sorted.
- Heatsinks: If you recall in our last email we talked about our solution to improve motor cooling, well here it is: Dual heatsink mounting plates for the motors. We had to build molds for diecast aluminum to make these cost-effectively, which takes a LONG time, but they're done now - and here's a picture of the first sample diecast parts:

ZJ8Ylqvd9uE5dOQ6LbpfZhXG39XpNbkd0fGX04qvFFhT5v9xC5yvK76J3sppmFA1x6e3cKRAYX7nM4O9nfeXIoO73ZRFqDtFifw9cnKoRlfVE8ACw0lgJ017-W4nLkBK0el-kg=s0-d-e1-ft

- Gearmotors: We haven't talked much about these yet for IP reasons, though if you search our patent filings you'll find a reference to them... Custom ultra-small, ultra-high torque gearmotors to continually manage normal force for our Automatic Traction Control system (both under power and while braking), and to lift the motor clear off the tire when you don't need it. Our supplier has been making these for over 6 weeks now, and they're due to arrive in NYC any day.
- Wireless throttles: We've got a great custom design perfected now for our wireless custom throttles, with custom PCB production underway. Not only do they give you proportional control of both throttle and brake, but they also have secondary buttons for operating TailWind or PAS settings. Plus a rechargeable battery that seems to last days. And a really cool spring-clip mounting system with ball-joint pivot that allows you to mount the throttle almost anywhere on a bike or scooter and still find a comfortable position.
- Retracting battery cables: After our earlier quality issues were solved by upsizing the housing, our manufacturer is currently assembling our first production batch as quickly as they can. These required custom injection mold tooling, which means a 6-8 week leadtime, but they should be done in another two weeks.

Unfortunately, we have two components that are further behind schedule. Our custom PCB and our custom Battery Packs. These two components are a big piece of what makes the SR4 so special, which is a good thing given how much work they've required!

To be clear, we already had a first version production SR4 PCB several months ago and it worked well, with both the wireless throttle and phone app functionality we dreamed of. But we needed to add a few more pieces of critical functionality to it:

- Inrush current protection (aka 'Anti-Spark'): this is necessary to prolong the life of our magnetic battery connectors, especially at the higher voltages the SR4 uses.
- Onboard DC gearmotor control: we had been using a standalone board for this, but for reliability and ease of assembly it made sense to integrate it

Both of these circuits are relatively large, and since we had no more room to make the PCB any bigger, we needed to redesign it using surface-mount components (SMT) to shrink every section. This is a lot of work and has taken longer than expected, but we do expect to have production PCBs completed within 3-4 weeks, so this won't be the biggest holdup....

Which brings us to our custom battery packs, the most delayed of all our components: We can't begin to describe how involved the design and manufacturing process has been for these. With nearly a dozen different molded parts, a custom-designed Battery Management PCB, soft power switch, USB charge port, LED indicators, and the aforementioned retractable battery cable, this by itself is probably more complex than many hardware products in their entirety. But with ShareRoller's unique versatility and portability, an existing 'off-the-shelf' battery pack just wasn't an option.

Since we haven't shown the battery packs in detail yet, here's a teaser pic of our unique 'Multi-Mount' attachment system (on a 'Mini' pack) - believe it or not, both the mounting brackets needed for bike share use and personal bike/scooter use are contained in the folding, modular mount shown below:

VMpb9rAxMSmkp8Q4Tq7m0qbgiBYNW6dEPvuYwql5KS2hxjvkEIpJBL4_YCC5vVUZk9dLSR11xz7MAkKQZwtJdpZUCqH8ESXjTw8wjjL8YmRtCZFW4YYaMlWRO5IJcAZnGhFF9mkTUP7UAFw=s0-d-e1-ft

The other completely unique part of ShareRoller's battery packs is our 'Versa-Handle,' which does double duty as both a carrying handle and as a locking mechanism for bikeshare use. Here's how it looks extended for transport (You can see our LED battery gauge here too, and yes that is brushed aluminum for the handle!):

LcG4lYaBibPhjat8vPzeGiizYg5IJGN5MMQdvDtin3NcfgN0RtXZnH71qho7NrO3aBNgSS754etNAz5IHrY8SLa-jrbULCiaPh2-gbF4V2ON61TbiCRjW795bEj5ibHrSV_V4MBX2QoKZV4HCA=s0-d-e1-ft

We've had 'near-final' designs settled upon month-after-month for these packs, since as far back as March. And every time, it seems a new subtle tweak is needed to meet the complex demands of either our custom housing, electronics, mounting system, or unique multi-purpose handle.

The good news is that after 7 months of relentless back-and-forth CAD iterations with our supplier, we've finally resolved all design issues, signed a Molding Contract (in Chinese!) and wired a sizeable tooling deposit, so they are officially underway. Unfortunately, it will take 4 weeks to complete the molds, and another 2-3 weeks after that before packs are assembled. We also need to complete UN38.3 certification (required for air shipment), but the plan is to do that in parallel with volume assembly.

Given all of that, we don't expect to have production battery packs ready to ship before early-mid August. Fortunately, there's zero assembly required for the packs - they arrive turn-key. So we can assemble everything else in advance, and ship out complete ShareRoller SR4 boxes the moment the packs arrive.

We're deeply sorry for these continued delays and we really wish there was some way we could deliver sooner. We understand how frustrating it is to still be without ShareRoller power, especially as Summer unfolds. Unfortunately, many factors are outside our control here, so all we can do is just continue to push relentlessly to be sure the ShareRoller SR4 we finally deliver will perform beyond all expectations, and at least in hindsight make it all worth the wait.

Thank you so much for your patience and support.

Jeff Guida & The ShareRoller Team

Thank you, Nirmala, for posting the latest from Jeff.

Given all of that, we don't expect to have production battery packs ready to ship before early-mid August. Fortunately, there's zero assembly required for the packs - they arrive turn-key. So we can assemble everything else in advance, and ship out complete ShareRoller SR4 boxes the moment the packs arrive.

Another update and another vague estimate on delivery o_O I get the feeling that they are trying to accomplish too much as it seems every update they are constantly making tweaks which in turn adds to the delay. I wonder if it would have been better to issue a basic version for all the backers initially and then a premium version with all additional features. Then the lead time would be slightly shorter.

Early-mid August in reality will mean end of August + then to test all components together again I think if you have the units by December you would be lucky....

I hope you're wrong, but suspect you're right. Here's hoping that Shareroller follows through with opening up the sale to others when they do begin delivery. A system like this is the only sensible solution for those that like to ride their bikes but want some power assist under certain circumstances.....like riding to work under the e-bike mode on hot days, then home on pedal power. And being able to leave just the bike locked up in a rack and the Shareroller up in a safe inside location at work.

Shareroller LLC on their Indiegogo comments page: 2 months ago [~6/2016] --- Take a look at Boosted, Pebble, Glowforge, Zuta Labs, Lima, etc- all delivered 12-24 months later than promised. None of them expected those sorts of delays, and neither did we. But they all delivered eventually, and so will we.

[Please Note: (1) Below, except for the first two, are statements made by “Shareroller LLC” as displayed on Shareroller’s Indiegogo comments page here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shareroller-add-on-e-power-for-bikes-scooters#/comments. (2) It is my bolding and underlining below. (3) My notes are in brackets like these[]. (4) The “ago” dates below are provided by the Indiegogo comments page and is relative to today’s date of 8/4/2017. In most of the brackets below, I translate instances of “ago” into approximate dates. “Approximate” is represented by a tilde (~).]

12/2015
--- $88,076 USD total funds raised -- 146% funded on December 4, 2015 – [shipping] ESTIMATED JUNE 2016

2/2016 --- Final Week of ShareRoller’s Indiegogo InDemand campaign

Over 1 year [i.e. before ~8/2016] -- [We] have decided to extend our campaign by 2 weeks, until Dec 2nd. ... Please note that this will not change our delivery schedule at all. Thanks!

Over 1 year [i.e. before ~8/2016] -- Thanks for the thoughts Matt. You're spot on that the dual mode mounting is a significant undertaking. As is the automatic traction control. However, we had built a fair amount of 'cushion' in our original schedule, and these upgrades have been in development for some time already. Thus, we feel comfortable with the August [2016] target, though admittedly there isn't very much 'slippage' room in the new schedule. Given all that, fully agree that frequent communication is warranted going forward!

1 year ago [~8/2016] -- Yikes, those stories always horrify us here at ShareRoller. It's an appalling lack of responsibility for founders to exhaust substantial resources like that and fail to deliver entirely. Rest assured that we will deliver ShareRoller as promised, well actually even better than promised! And our investor backing ensures that we have adequate resources to incorporate all the new functions and versatility that we've conceived. Very excited to reveal the new design soon!

12 months ago [~8/2016] -- Hi Pedro, we're scheduled to begin deliveries in November [2016] so you should have your ShareRoller this year. Thanks for your patience!

10 months ago [~10/2016]November [2016] delivery is looking like a stretch at the moment, but we'll have firmer visibility on that later in October [2016].

9 months ago [~11/2016] – Please hang in there for another two months - we plan a full public launch of the new SRV4 in December [2016].

8 months ago [~12/2016] -- Hey everyone, apologies for the radio silence – the team is swamped right now preparing for production, but we will put together an update by the end of the week.

5 months ago [~3/2017] --- Hi everyone, sorry for the delay – been unbelievably busy over here as you might imagine. We are indeed getting close – will send out an Update with more info over the weekend, so stay tuned.

4 months ago [~4/2017] --- Hi everyone, we’re almost there.

2 months ago [~6/2017] --- Hi everyone, a detailed Update will be coming soon, but just wanted to let you know that component production is finally underway(!), though it will be another four weeks before all our suppliers are able to ship. Hence, we now expect final assembly to kick-off in late June [2017].

2 months ago [~6/2017] --- Lots of pictures and video coming next month [~7/2017], along with a re-launch of shareroller.com, so you’ll finally be able to see all the details of the incredible new functionality we’ve packed into the redesigned SRV4.

2 months ago [~6/2017] --- Take a look at Boosted, Pebble, Glowforge, Zuta Labs, Lima, etc- all delivered 12-24 months later than promised. None of them expected those sorts of delays, and neither did we. But they all delivered eventually, and so will we.

Hey Folks, apparently a new updates been emailed out. Anyone care to share with us non backers? Fingers crossed not another delay.....

Back