Setting up a new bike from the factory

SirOthelot

Region
Europe
I just got my new Delite in a package from factory and I have no idea how to make it ready for ride. All the controls are wonky and attached losely so they move around in the handlebar etc. The handlebar itself is not tightened so I was able to just pull it straight but now I don't know where are the scews for tightening it. The manual that came with is practically no help. I have the cockpit and gx option on it. Are there anywhere detailed instructions of the steps needed to make the bike ready for riding? Ergon grips, break handles, shifters, drop post controls, handlebar, pedals everything would need to be twisted straight and tightened up and attached somehow and I don't have any bike mechanic skills.

Last edited:
Your local R&M dealer should have done all this before you received the bike.

Have you done basic bike builds before? The Delite is pretty similar in those respects to any other normal bike - so you will need a set of allen keys (hex), torx (star), and a few other basic tools.
I'm concerned though, if you are not confident doing this and you miss something the bike could be dangerous. I'd suggest seeking the help of a local bike shop.

Yeah, the problem is that the closest dealer was in a town couple hundred miles away and looks like they just posted it to me as is, or at least it is definately not ready. I probably have the hex keys and tools but lack experience. Maybe I will just take it to the nearest local bike shop. Even if they dont deal R&M specifically, they would probably be able to set it up anyway. I mean most of the stuff is pretty standard except maybe for the cockpit.

Yeah, the problem is that the closest dealer was in a town couple hundred miles away and looks like they just posted it to me as is, or at least it is definately not ready. I probably have the hex keys and tools but lack experience. Maybe I will just take it to the nearest local bike shop. Even if they dont deal R&M specifically, they would probably be able to set it up anyway. I mean most of the stuff is pretty standard except maybe for the cockpit.
Absolutely, any local bike shop should be able to do 95% of the setup, the only thing different would be the electrics - and again any local bike shop which deals with Bosch powered bikes should have the necessary equipment to do that side of it.

Absolutely, any local bike shop should be able to do 95% of the setup, the only thing different would be the electrics - and again any local bike shop which deals with Bosch powered bikes should have the necessary equipment to do that side of it.
Yeah, I think if the closest shop could set up the standard stuff so it is at least rideable, then if needed I can ride it a bit further to a shop that deals Cube electric bikes if anything is needed with the Bosch stuff.

Did the place you purchased it from tell you this was what they were going to do? I’d call them first, they might be able to make arrangements on your behalf with a local shop that can get it setup. If you go on your own you’re going to get charged a setup fee which I wouldn’t feel good about paying if I hadn’t agreed to this from the start.

The work itself isn’t difficult with basic tools, I’d be more concerned about ensuring the motor, batteries and computer all have the latest software updates which, for the first two, only a Bosch dealer can do for you.

That dealer who shipped a bike that was not built out and road checked to you made a handsome profit on your purchase and owes you a fully assembled bike. They should be making arrangements with a shop close to you to build out and road test your bike, making sure it is safe to ride and assuring you that Riese & Muller will honor the warranty should there be any issues that arise.

If they do not do this you should try to contact Riese & Muller directly and seek their help in assuring that the bike is delivered to you in safe operational condition and certified to be in compliance with the terms of their warranty.

This dealer should not be allowed to get away with short-changing you on the basic service and set up that is supposed to be provided with every new Riese & Muller bike, to which you are entitled.

Highly recommend a bike torque wrench.
1628203781045.png

I now actually got a dm here in the forums from someone who works at R&M and was told that they were shocked to hear this and asked me to contact them for assistance. Gotta love it when a company cares about their customers! :) I walked the bike to a LBS yesterday and I'm picking it up today. Before receiving the bike I did not discuss this specifically with the dealer because I just presumed that of course they would set it up and probably even do a little test drive just to make sure everything works before shipping it forward to me. I have sent them an email after getting the bike but got no answer. My LBS didn't ask for much for setting it up so it's not so much about the money but the principle and warranty etc. Thanks to everyone for comments and tips.

Last edited:
Good to hear and I'm sure the place you ordered from will be getting an ear full from R&M. And you're right, the dealer you purchased from absolutely should have done all of that, it's all priced into the purchase already. I'm just going to assume the confusion comes from you being a couple hours away from the dealer. They absolutely should have arranged to have somebody closer do all this work on their behalf. At least it's done and now you can enjoy the bike!

I got this issue cleared out in the end. The dealers explanation was that they had built and tested the bike but to ship it in a smaller container and to avoid much bigger shipping costs, they had to turn the handlebar and grips. I get that, but also the smaller things like break handles, drop post controls, shifters were lose, back break needed adjustment etc. So my feeling is that they just did a bit rushed job with this. R&M had called them and got the same explanation. I asked if they would be willing to reimburse my costs in a LBS, but they refused because in his words he said when I was ordering the bike that "it would be shipped in a box, but would be no problem for anyone with basic understanding of cycling". I wanted to say that if he was sold a car that should be no problem for "anyone with basic understanding of driving" and he had to attach steering wheels, pedals and adjust breaks etc, would he accept that explanation, but decided it's not worth it. My LBS was a sport and only charged me 25€ for it so hats off to them. For a happy ending to the story, here is a photo of my first test ride.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
My Charger 3 was delivered to the dealer, 3 hrs away from my home, in Florida. After fully prepping and road testing the bike, it was delivered to me without charge. The technician spent about 1 hour with me, going over the bike and adjusting seat height, controls, etc.
That is how it should be done for such a expensive, high level bike.

That is definately exceptional customer service. Here in the old country we are not really used to that. Here you can be happy if you are not spat on.

My Nevo3 GT Vario GX was delivered by my Dealer (Fully Charged Silverstone) yesterday. This was after they set it up, charged the battery and did a PDI, which they brought the record of this as well. Spent about 45 minutes with us, explaining how the bike functioned.

Back