Serial 1 Announcement Discussion

This site sucks for posting pics. Why don't they upgrade and make it as easy as most other forums? Anyways I am really enjoying my Rush/City! For a water bottle, I got a strap-on velcro unit that sits on top of the top tube. Works for me. I just went out for a brisk sunset ride in my neighborhood. So much fun! This is a very well engineered machine that is also arguably the sleekest, most handsome ebike out there. No regrets!

This site sucks for posting pics. Why don't they upgrade and make it as easy as most other forums? Anyways I am really enjoying my Rush/City! For a water bottle, I got a strap-on velcro unit that sits on top of the top tube. Works for me. I just went out for a brisk sunset ride in my neighborhood. So much fun! This is a very well engineered machine that is also arguably the sleekest, most handsome ebike out there. No regrets!
It costs a lot of money to host all that data on the server for smaller sites. I use imgur to host pics for forums. Free, and you can link a pic on as many sites as you want, and if you decide to delete it later, it's gone entirely.

Seems there’s some piling on about the price. Not sure if that’s fair. Is there a similarly spec’ed Trek, Specialized, or Giant with Gates Carbon Drive and Brose, purpose-built with matching features at a price that casts the Harley Davidsons extreme outliers?

I think we’re all just a bit perpetually shocked by what’s been happening with Nike prices in general.
It’s either they’re just bigoted, poor, or just plain old poor bigots 🤣

What current ebike can be had with some of the key components this bike has or better at this price point or cheaper?
In Europe, the Veloretti e-bikes come to mind. The motor is from Bafang, and European regulations limit it to a lower speed, but otherwise it's the closest bike I've seen to Serial 1, and at nearly half the price. You can quibble with details, but then consider the price.

I think Serial 1 bikes are priced fairly for the U.S. market, and I almost bought one at Memorial Day when they were $400 off the original price minus a $150 Paypal promotion. But I think e-bikes in the U.S. sell for crazy prices to begin with.

Those are nice bikes for sure. Belt drive, mid drive moter, clean lines (class 1/3?), integrated lights and fenders for a probable US price around $3,500?

I don't know they plan on selling bikes here in the US in 2021 and even if they do, do they come to my state? Serial 1 service footprint is on par with the larger bike manufactures and I will be able to test drive the newer models if/when they are released.

I would love to test drive them and other ebikes because I see myself wanting to have multiple varieties of ebikes instead of trying to find the one ebike to rule them all. Until we reach that threshold of ebikes outnumbering or at least on par with traditional bikes, folks options to test all the varieties will be limited to their options to test out.

I got rid of my motorcycle when I became a dad, the risk/reward was too great. I see ebikes as a safer way to get that same sacred feeling of being on the open road, wind in your hair (relative with a full face helmet) and the stoke/zen you feel after a great ride. I'm in my 40's and can't see buying anymore non-ebikes for myself. I would love some investment in smaller ebikes for kids since that is the biggest factor in how far/long we can ride now, with young kids, its limited.

Agreed, Serial 1 should have its own forum. If I was ok with the Rush/CTY I would have it already.

My friend got hers and her hubby's built up and love them! I'm trying to get them to start posting here but she's a lawyer with her own firm in CO, so not much spare time.
IMG_0491.jpgIMG_0493.jpgIMG_0496.jpgIMG_0497.jpg
I like the black one more, just barely, she says the white is super bright, and I'm thinking it would show dirt really fast.

What current ebike can be had with some of the key components this bike has or better at this price point or cheaper?

Some more points of comparison that come to mind, these available in the States:
  • Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB: Same belt and hub, but without automatic shifting, $4000. Add $500 for Class 3. Gazelle has a broad U.S. dealer network.
  • Watt Wagons Atom: If you build it out with the Archon X2 1000W controller, Kindernay hub, Magura brakes, integrated lights, and fenders, it's the same price as the Rush/CTY Speed. This drivetrain seems like a substantial upgrade over the Serial 1. But it's a less clean design (IMO), no dealer network, and it's unclear (to me) if/when you can actually get this bike.

Options for sure and for me those bikes have some but not all the same features.
It’s great that there are options and i fee great and can’t wait for my Speed to get here.

I really don't understand why EBR won't create a Serial 1 forum, I have DM'd them twice now, and ghosted.

@Court
Come on Court people are starting to get their Ebikes now, and this is a major brand that really needs it's own dedicated forum like every other brand.
Customer Gets His Ebike
I don't have anything to complain about on EBR. As I've posted many times, I've gotten a lot out of the forum and reviews. EBR YouTube channel was one of the first channels I hit the subscribe, and is still one of only about a dozen I subscribe to. It does seem odd there isn't a brand forum for H-D Serial 1. You've called for it for some time.

Brand forums with zero threads: 3

Brand forums with 2 or fewer threads: 93

Threads with Harley Davidson or Serial 1 in the title: 17

Last edited:
I don't anything to complain about on EBR. As I've posted many times, I've gotten a lot out of the forum and reviews. EBR YouTube channel was one of the first channels I hit the subscribe and is still one of only about a dozen I subscribe to. It does seem odd there isn't a brand forum for H-D Serial 1. You've called for it for some time.

Brand forums with zero threads: 3

Brand forums with 2 or fewer threads: 93

Threads with Harley Davidson or Serial 1 in the title: 17
Let's try somebody else on EBR
@troehrkasse Let's go

I’m sure there is another explanation that’s completely rationale that accounts for the delays and I’ll admit my ability to stay open to that possibility wanes slightly with every day.

These bikes look to be the real deal and serial one players in the market and there is reason to be optimistic to what they can bring to the industry. So it’s omission is interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
I’m sure there is another explanation that’s completely rationale that accounts for the delays and I’ll admit my ability to stay open to that possibility wanes slightly with every day.

These bikes look to be the real deal and serial one players in the market and there is reason to be optimistic to what they can bring to the industry. So it’s omission is interesting to say the least.
As with everything there’s probably some commercial junk in the way….

Website: Hey send us the 1st bike to review. Free of charge.

Harley: Hey send an email to our $billion public relations company in New York.

Obviously Harley Davidson won’t stop with consumer bicycles either - this is just a toe in the water to get started on perhaps at minimum a 50% transition. That’s where they’ll zoom past “bicycles”. Maybe even a new generation of Hell’s Angels running around on dope 144v beasts with hacked open frame motors. New Dead Head stickers. Etc etc.

I think Harley’s biggest pitch won’t be in EBR or similar sites - it’ll be conversion of the already faithful starting with their wives and kids. Bicycle companies can’t match that brand cachet/demographic nor can they easily untangle DOT.

I hope they will start selling them in Japan someday, but probably not.

I don’t see Serial 1 capturing that market. HD will eventually turn their business electric and I don’t see that capturing any new market in the motorcycle industry. I think Livewire is their brand to capture a new (read younger) audience of motorcycle drivers and then as they get older maybe the HD scene appeals to them. HD is part of motorcycle culture whether folks like it or not and I’m good with that. I think Serial 1 is for them to capture the new mobility market. Granted, they all roll up to one company but I think what makes this smart in my mind is spinning it off into a separate company.

That’s what makes me think I’m slightly on the right track otherwise they would simply do all this under the HD banner. By splitting it out they can let it grow it’s own wings and tap into synergies that make sense. For example sharing battery tech or frame tech - something 2 wheel vehicles of the future will rely on.

This is also what makes them such an intriguing company entering this space. Can Ebike companies scale up to the motorcycle level before motorcycle companies can scale up their ebike scene. For me, this creates competition that would not normally be there - think Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Buell, etc. I see this space heating up big time like the auto industry.

Can the Tesla’s of the world scale up to a large auto company before the Toyota’s, VW’s , Fords, etc join the space. Electric cars will be better for it when the established players go electric because they bring established infrastructure and integration. Car companies would be smart to understand in this new mobility space, completion can come from unlikely and strong sources.

Some will talk about things they know nothing about. H-D is a high tech company that has divisions that make products for for the space industry and the US Military.
Both are right, as people usually say that Harleys are handicapped by their use of outdated technology, and they aren't wrong when it comes to their brand focus. Sad thing is that HD has proven they can make very advanced designs, but the consumers are always right, and consumers seemed to just keep buying the antiquated technology products insisting on pushrods and air cooling that severely limit their performance because of the traditionalist image. They focused marketing on that core audience, but problem with one-dimensional brand marketing is that by Harley focusing on this niche for so long and not investing much in diversifying, they alienate younger consumers and their old niche is aging out of buying more products. Its normal for the son to rebel against the father at a certain age, and anything their parents like they won't like if nothing more than for that reason (insert "ok boomer" meme) as a way to establish their independence... heck think about any big counter culture fad from the 60s to today that was born from that. So its important now more than ever for Harley to split its branding image with different lines. This is likely a step in the right direction for that, although I'm surprised they aren't producing a line that targets younger hipsters with some retro cruiser e-bikes as well.

The livewire really has been a total flop (very slow to catch on if you want to be kinder), so I can understand if Harley is tip toeing into this branch of electric R&D as well, probably with a pretty limited budget and staff for this spinoff company. Add that to the fact that they happened to stumble into the worst possible time to launch a new line of products amid a pandemic and massive supply chain shortage, and I'm sure they aren't eager to rush anything out if the production line isn't back up to speed. If they are wise, they will focus on getting the first run of the basic bikes out the door with an absolute minimum delivery and technical problems before they start building out the line. If the first year is unreliable or service and supply is handicapped, this will fail before it gets off the ground like so many other Harley rebrandings.

The livewire really has been a total flop (very slow to catch on if you want to be kinder), so I can understand if Harley is tip toeing into this branch of electric R&D as well, probably with a pretty limited budget and staff for this spinoff company. Add that to the fact that they happened to stumble into the worst possible time to launch a new line of products amid a pandemic and massive supply chain shortage, and I'm sure they aren't eager to rush anything out if the production line isn't back up to speed. If they are wise, they will focus on getting the first run of the basic bikes out the door with an absolute minimum delivery and technical problems before they start building out the line. If the first year is unreliable or service and supply is handicapped, this will fail before it gets off the ground like so many other Harley rebrandings.
The more I shopped recently, the more I think all electric motorcycles designed to function just like big old ICE bikes of yore are doomed to fail until we have a new revolutionary battery technology. The current solution to the battery density issue is to either make vehicles extremely aerodynamic or have massive batteries or both!

Motorcycles neither have the room or weight capacity to put in a massive amount of batteries and they are inherently unaerodynamic in a relaxed riding position. So trying to sell a 550lb bike with only 100hp that can only go 70 miles on a "tank" if you keep it at 70mph and leisurely and will take most customers overnight to charge for $30K is just plain silly.

So it would be smart if they gave up on electric motorcycles like the livewire, stopped trying to sell a lifestyle and instead focused on actual product's performance, and work on city motorcycles and scooters where the speeds are slower so aerodynamics don't really matter, but you can park them anywhere and zip around lane splitting and what not with virtually zero maintenance needed and electrics are great for short trips. I'd be fine with something that can go 45mph so I can keep up in any suburban streets or feeders, and wouldn't need much range if its just going for nearby errands and what not instead of highway commuting ranges.

So it would be smart if they gave up on electric motorcycles like the livewire, stopped trying to sell a lifestyle and instead focused on actual product's performance, and work on city motorcycles and scooters where the speeds are slower so aerodynamics don't really matter, but you can park them anywhere and zip around lane splitting and what not with virtually zero maintenance needed and electrics are great for short trips. I'd be fine with something that can go 45mph so I can keep up in any suburban streets or feeders, and wouldn't need much range if its just going for nearby errands and what not instead of highway commuting ranges.
Something like this: ?

Back