Serial 1 Announcement Discussion

Nice bikes but the cheaper models are far to slow for me,20mph is not gonna cut it, I see the flagship speed model does 28mph,it's 4999 and that's not horrible for what your getting,strangely they did not put that model on sale?
I would read that as a sign that they’re selling very well, no need to discount.

Agree on the need for speed. There are times and places where it’s nice to put a breeze on your face. And it’s convenient to have the power to scoot quickly around someone on the trail from time to time.

I would read that as a sign that they’re selling very well, no need to discount.

Agree on the need for speed. There are times and places where it’s nice to put a breeze on your face. And it’s convenient to have the power to scoot quickly around someone on the trail from time to time.
I have to agree. Although my bike can go almost 30 mph my average speed always ends up around 15. The speed is handy to have for the odd time you really need to move.

So after a few nice rides, I decided I need a few upgrades. 1. Kinekt suspension seat post. 2. Brooks Cambium C19 Carved seat. 3. Crane E-NE bell in Scotch Bright Alloy. For carrying water, I ordered a Water Buffalo Road Runner Hydration Pack, since there are no bosses on the frame.

I went on an 8 mile workout ride this morning. I gotta say, getting this bike is the best thing I have done for myself healthwise, in a long time.
My ride included the steepest hill in my neighborhood, about 1/4 mile uphill and about 200' rise. I put it in Boost mode, and pedaled furiously.
The Brose motor and I were giving it all we had...and before I knew it, I was at the summit. I was back home in about 45 minutes. I am really digging this machine.

I have to agree. Although my bike can go almost 30 mph my average speed always ends up around 15. The speed is handy to have for the odd time you really need to move.
im the same i usually ride between 18 /25mph depending on what bike im on, anything over that is rare but its nice to have the speed when needed!

Brooks sent me the non carved Cambium C19 saddle, even though I ordered the carved model. Maybe the Italians aren't too good with English? It feels pretty good so far. It sure looks good! It is on the harder side, but comfortable.
The RoadRunner hydration pack works fine, but made my back very sweaty, as there was no air circulation between the unit and my back, riding in a thin shirt. May be ok in colder weather, but it is summer hot now. I may just strap a water bottle to one of the fender racks, but I would have to stop to take a pull of water.
The Crane bell is a winner! Nice higher pitched chime with good sustain.
The Kinekt suspension seatpost is nice, works, works well, and makes for an improved ride, IMO.
I rode 16 miles today, on sport and boost modes. I used up about 1/5th of the battery storage. So far, I am loving the Serial 1!

Brooks sent me the non carved Cambium C19 saddle, even though I ordered the carved model. Maybe the Italians aren't too good with English? It feels pretty good so far. It sure looks good! It is on the harder side, but comfortable.
The RoadRunner hydration pack works fine, but made my back very sweaty, as there was no air circulation between the unit and my back, riding in a thin shirt. May be ok in colder weather, but it is summer hot now. I may just strap a water bottle to one of the fender racks, but I would have to stop to take a pull of water.
The Crane bell is a winner! Nice higher pitched chime with good sustain.
The Kinekt suspension seatpost is nice, works, works well, and makes for an improved ride, IMO.
I rode 16 miles today, on sport and boost modes. I used up about 1/5th of the battery storage. So far, I am loving the Serial 1!
Post some pics!

So I ordered CTY/Speed model which now says "coming summer 2021" on the website. I ordered at the end of the month to lock in pricing, since a 'modest' price increase could be anywhere from 5-20% in my opinion.

I called my local dealer yesterday to see what they had for in stock inventory. Apparently they have been able to get their hands on every model but the speed, meaning all class 1's, no class 3's. They haven't heard of any other dealers getting their hands on them either. This dealer is supposedly the highest tier within harley, but i'll still be calling around. Makes me think they have seen the most orders on the CTY/Speed (they also had a sale on all their class 1's for memorial day). Looks Like if I get it before September 21, I should consider myself lucky. What I don't recall is if when I ordered the bike the first time if it said summer 2021 or was that after a few days. Either way, going to stop expecting to get an email this month and enjoy the summer on my hybrid (analog bike).

I'm still going to test ride the /CTY bike and the Mosh just to test it out but I don't have remorse on going with the class 3 or waiting.

They for sure are at the higher end. I still think they compare favorably to the Trek’s and Specialized’s out there with their city bikes. Belt drive, CVT, clean lines and brake lights kind of make it stand out.
Things like the belt drive / potential lower maintenance/ total cost of ownership is what I think justifies.
It’s expensive to be an early adopter.

I believe my numbers are correct, just showing the increase amount and percentage of original list price.

Prior Pricing
Mosh / CTY : $3,399
Rush / CTY (ST) : $4,399
Rush / CTY : $4,449
Rush / CTY (Speed) : $4,999

Post 1 July Pricing : ($increase/%)
Mosh / CTY : $3,799 : ($400/12%)
Rush / CTY (ST) : $4,999 : ($600/14%)
Rush / CTY : $4,999 : ($550/12%)
Rush / CTY (Speed) : $5,599 ($600/12%)

What current ebike can be had with some of the key components this bike has or better at this price point or cheaper?

Class 3
CVT
Mid Drive Brose engine
Belt Drive
Hidden Cables (cleanest Ebike on the market)
Integrated Break lights
And a key item - service footprint (all HD dealerships)

Fine by me if you don't like it for your own personal reasons, putting prejudices to the side, this bike compares to the cream of the crop (in my opinion). I'm not seeing many bikes if any on the market at this price point with these features. Looking into who designed the bikes, they come from a bicycle background. I think people shouldn't sleep on Serial 1. If they take lessons learned, share knowledge with their livewire motorcycle (battery tech/etc) and build them into road and MTN bikes, they will be very competitive with the Giants, Specialized and Treks of the world.

In a new world where ebikes look to be a big part of mobility, HD/Serial 1/Live Wire would be foolish not to try and capture their piece of a growing market. If they think about it, its really being able to attract new customers, grow their current customer base by offering more solutions to those customers. Maybe they don't see it that way and fade into irrelevance. I think a perfect comparison is the auto industry. Look at Ford, GM, VW - they are all leaning into electric vehicles and look at some of the innovations coming out pushing the space. Example the F-150 Lighting, Ford Mustang EV, Porsche Taycan, VW's electric line plus GM brining their battery tech.

What current ebike can be had with some of the key components this bike has or better at this price point or cheaper?

Class 3
CVT
Mid Drive Brose engine
Belt Drive
Hidden Cables (cleanest Ebike on the market)
Integrated Break lights
And a key item - service footprint (all HD dealerships)

Fine by me if you don't like it for your own personal reasons, putting prejudices to the side, this bike compares to the cream of the crop (in my opinion). I'm not seeing many bikes if any on the market at this price point with these features. Looking into who designed the bikes, they come from a bicycle background. I think people shouldn't sleep on Serial 1. If they take lessons learned, share knowledge with their livewire motorcycle (battery tech/etc) and build them into road and MTN bikes, they will be very competitive with the Giants, Specialized and Treks of the world.

In a new world where ebikes look to be a big part of mobility, HD/Serial 1/Live Wire would be foolish not to try and capture their piece of a growing market. If they think about it, its really being able to attract new customers, grow their current customer base by offering more solutions to those customers. Maybe they don't see it that way and fade into irrelevance. I think a perfect comparison is the auto industry. Look at Ford, GM, VW - they are all leaning into electric vehicles and look at some of the innovations coming out pushing the space. Example the F-150 Lighting, Ford Mustang EV, Porsche Taycan, VW's electric line plus GM brining their battery tech.

Full disclosure: I've owned Harleys for more than 30 years. I have a full dresser that's 31+ years old, I purchased new. Runs great, looks great. I've toured most of North America on that bike. 31 years old and came with air suspension with anti-dive. Gates belt drive, 4 speaker stereo with intercom, electronic cruise control...

Their ebikes offer more for the money than any other offering. It remains to be seen how good they are. Some will talk about things they know nothing about. H-D is a high tech company that has divisions that make products for for the space industry and the US Military. They've been developing EV tech and batteries since 2013 and they've been using Gates drive belts since 1989. They are situated perfectly to make great ebikes. With their resources this should be very good for the ebike industry.

Last edited:
Back