Sequence to connect USB Programming cable: BBS02B

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
I may be worried about nothing but I've read multiple conflicting directions on how to start programming on a BBSXxx.
Some say to be sure the battery is disconnected, others say make sure it is connected and on before connecting the USB cable to the display cable.
And some actually say both... To disconnect on the cable sales page, and connected and On in the instruction link???
To those that have actually made some changes to the controller programming.. What is the correct sequence?

Battery on
Cable from PC connected to motor
Open programming app/profile
Select ComPort from connect dropdown

I was able to figure it out from this thread (there are 20 pages and they are worth reading!!):

Thanks... Seems programming is a topic of a few years ago.
The information is all over the place as far as asked.

The Penoff version seems to be well accepted:
Make sure to disconnect the battery before connecting the USB to Serial
adapter to avoid any damage to it, to your PC and to your BBS controller. Before
continuing use handheld multimeter to check if the wire between P+ and PL lines is
shorted to any of the other wires. If it is, fix the short circuit.
After you are sure you connected safely your BBS controller to your PC check in
Device Manager to make sure that your adapter is listed as a COM port. If it isn’t install
the proper drivers. If you use one of the common adapters, Windows automatically installs
drivers for those since XP version.
Connect the battery to your BBS controller.

Also seems to fit with a common sense approach though checking the pins for shorts only applies to homemade cables.

Back