Segway Dirt eBike: Yay or Nay?

ebikeron

Hi! I saw this campaign ad on Segway Dirt eBike... it looks cool, especially on rough terrains!

I was wondering what you guys think if this is a great buy, I'm not so technical, so any help or recommendation would be appreciated!

https://segway-dirt-ebike-the-epic-off.kckb.st/f1a9bf00

looks nice to me at a decent price point. None of these things would work for me I am 6'2" and 270 lbs . I would be like a clown in the circus lol

You make a non-refundable deposit of 299 to $1498. Then you get an email telling you to make the final payment, listed as $2300-3770. I wonder how many donors saw the second part.

Why not buy something that is shipping already, from a guy that will have parts and support (maybe). This might cost more than what was promissed above, but it's real.

Disclaimer. I don't know dirt about dirt bikes.

I have experience to some degree with "dirt bikes" racing at the amature level 40 years ago. What is exciting about Segways entry is they have brand recognition and folks who have no idea who Luna is will look at press releases from Segway. These look fun and I can see an actual racing class spring up using these or others like them. What I do know having been involved with Superbikes (Roadracing) from it's intro as a sideshow for Formula Bikes to the World Superbike Series, (now THE Main Event) the tech on eBikes should begin to see quantum leaps . The trickle down to user friendly PAS eBikes will show up in weight, range, and braking. Glad to see the interest spreading too the race oriented side of things. I am not advocating for performance oriented on the road eBikes. Being responsible riders around other bicyclists is critical to opening up trails, bike paths and open wilderness areas.

DIdn't figure it for a real Segway product, but it apparently is. I wonder why an established outfit would be on a crowdfunded site. It's like Tesla selling cars on ebay.

I bought some surplus batteries from a Segway scooter. They're well engineered, better than anything I've seen in a ebike battery, except I fear the cells are old and probably used up.

DIdn't figure it for a real Segway product, but it apparently is. I wonder why an established outfit would be on a crowdfunded site. It's like Tesla selling cars on ebay.

I bought some surplus batteries from a Segway scooter. They're well engineered, better than anything I've seen in a ebike battery, except I fear the cells are old and probably used up.
I don't believe this is a real Segway product. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure it is a rebranded bike. They may add something to it, maybe not. I'm pretty sure Google can tell you.

I don't believe this is a real Segway product. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure it is a rebranded bike. They may add something to it, maybe not. I'm pretty sure Google can tell you.

I suspect it's not a Segway as we tend to think of them. However it's their "brand" and thats what I was referring to. The crowed funding thing kinda makes me less apt to purchase after my experience with an eBike company's lack of candor when trying to pin down what I was getting. My observation was more along the idea that eRacing will improve the current eBike landscape.

I mean i don't think Segway designed it much, maybe a new battery pack. Ya it's certainly not a 'Segway' PEV. All their recent products have unsed Indiegogo, not sure why. They may have just copied another one, but i'm pretty sure i say the same bike by another vendor, i suspect they just picked up the rights to brand it.

Yes, it's an interesting machine.
My understanding is most mountain bike trails don't allow motorcycles.
This machine looks just like a motorized dirt bike, no matter how it's powered.
I'm sure it's fun to ride, but where? Only private property?

Legally yes or at OHV parks and anywhere motorized off road use is allowed. The SurRon culture that Luna has spawned seems active but I have never seen one in the wild, or tame either for that matter. Because they only have pedalability in name alone there are of no interest to me at least.

I would more go for something like this: https://staging.ubcobikes.com/us/frx1-trail-bike/ and put all pedal pretense away.

That bike would not be legal to ride anywhere in New Jersey except on private property or within a state forest providing it is participating in a one time only event and is registered to run within that event. I think it looks great and capable, but without any kind of legality, I just don't see the point within the state I ride my Ebike in.

This Segway Dirt Bike is so far from the US definition of an ebike, that I can't see any way to make this thing street legal, even as a motorcycle! Or is there? Pretty clearly with 45mph top speed and no pedal power even as an option, this is a "bike" as in "motorbike", not as in "ebike'!

A fellow rider of a trail south of HIllsborough (NC) has one of these. I can keep pace with him on the trails (where bicycles are allowed) with my old Optibike 600, but as soon as we get to a flat road, he's off to the races! Dirt bike riders using the public roads in the area have gotten tickets, wonder when this one will?

No area club has reported anyone riding even a Class 3 ebike getting a ticket! Many ebike riders in Central NC support model legislation from People for Bikes in getting state law updated to recognize Class 3 ebikes as "ebikes" distinct from "motor scooters". There was a successful fending off requiring registration and insurance for any ebike at all here in NC last year! So we have to be careful how we ask for this, yes?!

I am in WNC and as cool as this eDirtBike is, it has nothing to do with eBikes. I imagine its legal where ever "dirt bikes" are legal but to confuse it with an eBike will only empower those who don't like "cheater" bicycles.

Back