Seeking suggestions for commuter ebike (already tried one)

the_dude

Region
USA
Hi everyone. First time poster.

I'm looking for a commuter ebike. My urban commute is approximately 5 miles each way, ending (on the return trip) with a steep uphill 1/2 mile climb. I want a throttle so that I don't always have to pedal and arrive sweaty at work in the summer.

I bought a RadRunner Plus as it ticked a lot of my boxes, and I thought it would be fun to take one of my kids on the back from time-to-time, and I liked the optional storage console. I received it and assembled it, and sadly I really dislike it. It just seems very clumsy and awkward, the seat is very uncomfortable (I feel like it makes me slide forward too), and when I go uphill it seems very slow (on throttle anyway, but maybe that's not what it's designed for). I also feel like it's too small for me at 6' 3" and approx. 210 pounds.

Unfortunately I'm planning to return it.

Does anybody have suggestions for other models I should consider?

The DŌST Kope looks great, but it's just as heavy as the RadRunner Plus, so I worry that I would have the same experience. Do the center drive and integrated battery help it feel more agile? The specs indicate 120 Nm of torque vs. the Rad's 80Nm, which is a significant improvement. But since it's a lot more expensive it's currently in my "maybe" column.

I keep seeing the Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ listed as a GREAT commuter bike, and a local bike shop has it in stock, but it doesn't have a throttle. And it's even more expensive than the DŌST.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks much.

Personally, I would stick with something that looks like a conventional bike - like 26" or bigger tires, but hey, that's me.

You do realize the 'Runners seat can be swapped for a more comfortable one, right? And maybe add a suspension seat post?
Did the 'Runner have adequate power for your hill?

For a commuter, look for things like a rear rack, lights, and comfort. The Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ could be a good choice, is very light weight and you may be able to test ride one at a local bike shop. The Dost would also check most of the boxes for a commuter for me, but you won't be able to test ride it.

Personally, I would stick with something that looks like a conventional bike - like 26" or bigger tires, but hey, that's me.

You do realize the 'Runners seat can be swapped for a more comfortable one, right? And maybe add a suspension seat post?
I nearly pulled the trigger on a runner, but opted for a NCM moscow. The new Runner + seems to have
answered my issues with the Runner, but it is more a scooter than a bike. .In spite of the name,
the moscow is German, meant to be more of a general purpose bike than a mtn bike, great uphill, but
not really a shredder. Tops out at 24 mph pedaling, so there are faster commuters, but it´ś solid & ya can´t
beat the price. Heavier riders really should swap out the stock schwalbe smart sams for more PSI &
beefier sidewalls. I finally solved tire** issues with 28¨ x 2¨ Schwalbe marathons green guard which made
it a perfect uphill commuter. Other than that no issues if you´re good about keeping it tuned.
(** bottoming out led to busted spokes. )

Last edited:
I commute on a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra. It's heavy but has 160 nM of torque. I don't think weight is that important unless you are carrying the bike often or engaging in very tight maneuvering (less likely in commuting situations). The Juggernaut Ultra comes with rack and fenders, so it is ready for commuting right out of the box, as do many of the other bikes in the Biktrix line-up, including less expensive options (such as the Juggernaut Classic).

Rize bikes (such City MD, Rize MD, Rize RX, and RX Pro) might also tick your boxes, and the bikes are generally less expensive than Biktrix.

Thanks. I do know the seat can be changed, but I feel like if I'm payiing so much for the bike to begin with, that having to swap out components seems silly. But i guess if I'm willing to pay even more for a bike, maybe it's worth looking at.

For a commuter, look for things like a rear rack, lights, and comfort. The Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ could be a good choice, is very light weight and you may be able to test ride one at a local bike shop. The Dost would also check most of the boxes for a commuter for me, but you won't be able to test ride it.
Thanks. The Turbo Vado looks very cool, but I don't want to give up on throttle just yet.

I commute on a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra. It's heavy but has 160 nM of torque. I don't think weight is that important unless you are carrying the bike often or engaging in very tight maneuvering (less likely in commuting situations). The Juggernaut Ultra comes with rack and fenders, so it is ready for commuting right out of the box, as do many of the other bikes in the Biktrix line-up, including less expensive options (such as the Juggernaut Classic).

Rize bikes (such City MD, Rize MD, Rize RX, and RX Pro) might also tick your boxes, and the bikes are generally less expensive than Biktrix.
Thanks. Neither of those brands were on my radar, and I will definitely check them out.

Now if only I can get a response out of Rad regarding my return... :eek:

If I were you, I'd get used to the idea of replacing whatever seat you get, even on a bike costing twice that of a RAD product....

I get the impression your are not or havnt been a 'cyclist' up to this point. Nothing at all wrong with that but that can really change what you are looking for and what people should recommend.

The Vado SL is a wonderful bike (Im considering the Levo SL eMTB) but its the last commuter bike I would recommend for someone I didnt consider a cyclist. Its pretty low power which means you will be putting in significant effort while riding and will therefore likely cause you to sweat. If you get the chance to ride one, definately do that, who knows, you might love it.

While the Radrunner is 80NM and the DOST is 120NM, the rad is measured at the wheel and the DOST is measure at the motor which goes thru a 46tooth chainring up front and a 11-36t rear cassette so there will be torque reduction (best case torque is 120x(36/46) = 94NM). That being said, is always hard to figure out how the NM for different brands is measured so its hard to compare anywho.

I personally find using throttle the most boring way to ride an ebike. It does/can have its use case but on most stock ebikes I have tried respond better to the cadence sensing than the throttle. There is also a somewhat legal reason for this and many stock ebikes limit throttle to 20mph but may allow cadence speed to be higher.

As far as the DOST, it has alot going for it. It has a BBSHD which is a great motor (I have a 52V 1500W version on a DIY ebike and its a beast). Being mid-drive allows for much more flexibility in alot of situations although a hub drive woks for alot of people as well (I have both). The only issue I see with the DOST is that the BBSHD is enclosed and therefore heat buildup could be an issue if you really push it or run it in too high of a gear.

Alot of other bikes could suit you as well...the list is huge.

Correction: The DOST uses a BBS02 which is only 750W so I have no idea how powerful it would feel.

You can upgrade the power on the "runner" as well, just talk to your friendly "Bolten Ebikes" dealer, Kyle will fix you right up.

Hi everyone. First time poster.

I'm looking for a commuter ebike. My urban commute is approximately 5 miles each way, ending (on the return trip) with a steep uphill 1/2 mile climb. I want a throttle so that I don't always have to pedal and arrive sweaty at work in the summer.

I bought a RadRunner Plus as it ticked a lot of my boxes, and I thought it would be fun to take one of my kids on the back from time-to-time, and I liked the optional storage console. I received it and assembled it, and sadly I really dislike it. It just seems very clumsy and awkward, the seat is very uncomfortable (I feel like it makes me slide forward too), and when I go uphill it seems very slow (on throttle anyway, but maybe that's not what it's designed for). I also feel like it's too small for me at 6' 3" and approx. 210 pounds.

Unfortunately I'm planning to return it.

Does anybody have suggestions for other models I should consider?

The DŌST Kope looks great, but it's just as heavy as the RadRunner Plus, so I worry that I would have the same experience. Do the center drive and integrated battery help it feel more agile? The specs indicate 120 Nm of torque vs. the Rad's 80Nm, which is a significant improvement. But since it's a lot more expensive it's currently in my "maybe" column.

I keep seeing the Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ listed as a GREAT commuter bike, and a local bike shop has it in stock, but it doesn't have a throttle. And it's even more expensive than the DŌST.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks much.
Eunorau fat hd, Bitrix juggernaut, bolton foxbat they're all basically same bike. It has a mid motor 160nm of torque. It's a decent size for your height. It comes equipped with commuter equipped rack, headlight and taillight for under. Hard to beat the value. You can use the benefit of gears for the 1/2 mile uphill ride. If you don't think it's powerful enough go to Luna get ludicrous gear and cord to program motor as you like. You can turn a 1000w motor into 2000w, but the stock model should be just fine for what you described.

Eunorau fat hd, Bitrix juggernaut, bolton foxbat they're all basically same bike. It has a mid motor 160nm of torque. It's a decent size for your height. It comes equipped with commuter equipped rack, headlight and taillight for under. Hard to beat the value. You can use the benefit of gears for the 1/2 mile uphill ride. If you don't think it's powerful enough go to Luna get ludicrous gear and cord to program motor as you like. You can turn a 1000w motor into 2000w, but the stock model should be just fine for what you described.
I am 76 and I have a Blix Vika+ which I ride all over San Diego. It is reasonably lightweight (53 lbs) and has a throttle. It is foldable and has 20 inch tires so easy to throw into the back of an SUV without requiring a bike rack. I ride to and from Balboa Park 2 two to three times a week (14 miles each way). No problem climbing hills. Comes with fenders, rear rack, headlight, and taillight/stoplight. You will have to check if it will fit your height. I am 6 feet 1 and have no problem. Good luck with your search.

I am 76 and I have a Blix Vika+ which I ride all over San Diego. It is reasonably lightweight (53 lbs) and has a throttle. It is foldable and has 20 inch tires so easy to throw into the back of an SUV without requiring a bike rack. I ride to and from Balboa Park 2 two to three times a week (14 miles each way). No problem climbing hills. Comes with fenders, rear rack, headlight, and taillight/stoplight. You will have to check if it will fit your height. I am 6 feet 1 and have no problem. Good luck with your search.
From what I´ve studied, the blix, I´d agree. It is a suitable bike, a daily driver.

Back