Seeking input on first time e-bike purchase

DRB4381

Looking for two e-bikes for my wife and I. Primary use will be recreational riding on paved surface and to take along with us when when travel and camp via RV. We are not biking enthusiast so looking for something more in the entry level range. After fair amount of on-line research, I've come to initial conclusion that Rad Power City Commuter bikes would probably fit our needs. However, after looking around the local area for an e-bike I could test ride, the only thing I could find was a Trek Verve+ priced at $2300, which is a mid-drive bike with somewhat higher quality components. After a short test ride I was very impressed with the smoothness of the drive, the comfort of the ride, and the overall way the drive system seems so seamless. My question is, after riding the more expensive Verve, will I likely be disappointed in the smoothness, quietness, and seamless nature of the hub mounted direct drive system of the Rad City bike? I also noticed that the Verve was fairly easy to pedal even with no assist, but it is significantly lighter than the Rad City bike. I really wish I could test ride a Rad City bike, but living in southern Indiana, I don't see any options for that to happen. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Daryn

I own a Radhrino from Rad Power Bikes.
I do know nothing about Trek.

But here is the thing, you could test drive the Trek and apparently you were very pleased with it.
I do get that a lower price for another bike is tempting, but to me it appears that you already made your choice in your head.
The only reasonable thing would be either find a store where you can test the Rad City out, or go with the Trek.

I'm a huge bulls fan (broseS motors, largest battery in the industry for amazing range, great group-sets and components), mid drive is the way to go for serviceability (fixing a flat, chain, breaks - whatever...) versus a rear-hub motor with the cables and stuff. The new LaCubas are amazing bikes with a great group-set high, very ergonomic and comfortable and have tons of pick-up and go... Good luck on your purchase whatever you choose!

his and hers recommendations - these are the 2018 models, you could possibly get a way better deal on 2017 inventory for sure.... Cheers!

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

There are so many good bikes and so few dealers, just about everywhere except a few lucky cities.

I wasn't able to test ride an ebike at all before purchasing online. My wife got to try out the Pedego she wanted when we were on a trip to a city in Cali (we live on the East Coast) that had a Pedego dealer. To buy it, we had to drive to Durham NC, which is about 2.5 hours from home. I was okay with buying one sight unseen; she was not.

If you're willing to buy online, the problem becomes how many choices you have, not how few.

This isn't much help, is it?

I think @Rakku is onto something. You tried it, you liked it, it cost a little more than you hoped. My wife's Pedego cost about $1K more than my Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent S. I'm glad we spent the extra money, because she loves riding it. $2300 sounds like a really good price for a bike with all the features you liked.

Back