Second Battery Solution For Topstone Neo Carbon

Alaskan

I have found a good solution for a adding a second battery to the Topstone Neo. First the bike uses the horizontal version of the Bosch 500 watt powertube. Be sure it is the horizontal that you order.

Here is a link to a German Supplier of Cannondale parts that carries both the black cover for the Neo 2 and the silver cover for the Neo 3

To carry the battery safe, secure and centered between the wheels, the Tangle top tube frame bag by Revelate (an Alaska maker of excellent bike bags). It fits the battery with the cover on it perfectly. The zipper closes easily but the battery is quite snug inside the bag. The bag is almost a perfect fit, hanging below the top tube.

Revelate-Designs-Tangle-Frame-Bag_Black_01_2048x.jpg

The bike is in the shop getting a pair of 47mm WTB Byway tires installed tubeless and the new Nyon. I will post a photo of the bike with the Tangle bag later.

Well I bought some 4", 18mil thickness, helicopter tape. This is the same stuff they use to protect the leading edges of helicopter blades. It goes on the same way as a soft phone screen protector for your phone, cut it to size, clean the surface with soapy water, wipe it down with alcohol, spray it with a mild solution of soapy water, gently place the tape where you want it and firmly squeegy the water out leaving from the center to the edges, leaving no bubbles behind.

This should keep the frame in like new condition till it is removed. I also ordered a roll of 2" tape for the outside half of the chain stays, cranks and fork.

tape.jpg

tape2.jpg

Alaskan, I'll be interested in your review of the WTB Byways, as they look to be very similar to the 47mm Specialized Pathfinder 2Bliss tires I recently installed on my Lefty 3.
I can tell you that the tires (and maybe the carbon wheels) made a significant difference in how the bike rides. I suspect there will be less grip on the trails, but since most of my riding is on pavement and gravel I'm okay with the tradeoff.
Where did you buy the helicopter tape? Also, does it come off easily?

Alaskan, I'll be interested in your review of the WTB Byways, as they look to be very similar to the 47mm Specialized Pathfinder 2Bliss tires I recently installed on my Lefty 3.
I can tell you that the tires (and maybe the carbon wheels) made a significant difference in how the bike rides. I suspect there will be less grip on the trails, but since most of my riding is on pavement and gravel I'm okay with the tradeoff.
I got it on ebay. There are several sellers who sell by the foot.

Last edited:
Deacon fyi I rode my Lefty 3 for about 4500 km with the WTB Byways 650x47 mounted with tube ( Tubolite) and kept at 35 psi front 40 psi rear.I did , 70% tarmac 30% light gravel ( what we call here <strade bianche >).I also tested the Specialized Pathfinder on my previous bike Specialized Diverge S-Works .The Bw were much more faster on tarmac with lower rolling resistance, excellent driveability and cornering.Once the terrain change to mid-mix gravel or wet it was a complete different story.Being my this year's plan different ,( 70% mid gravel & off road) I so far mounted the WTB Resolute 650x42 .
The WTB could be even more faster once mounted tubeless but my past experience with liquid sealant was not so exciting and for time being I keep me away...
Regards
Blackvipergts
I got it on ebay. There are several sellers who sell by the foot.

I'm running my Pathfinders tubeless and so far so good. I have 7000km on my carbon road bike running tubeless without a single flat tire, so I'm sold on going tubeless.
Having said that, while mounting the new tires (tubeless) was easy, I've heard that taking a tire off (tubeless) and then putting it back on can be a real pain.
I'll have to try a set of Byways when I wear out my Pathfinders.

I am in search of one more inexpensive add one to this setup - a soft fabric tube or sock in which to put the battery before it goes into the bag...this to protect the finish on the battery cover from chaffing or getting scuffed on any seams or grit that might inadvertently find its way into the bag and jostling around in there.

I'm contacting these guys tomorrow to see what they recommend.

I also was looking for a solution for second battery storage. I originally ordered a Salsa EXP medium size half frame bag, which fit perfectly in the large size Lefty 3. However, the zipper was slightly too short, and the second battery would not fit. I then ordered a Revelate Designs Ranger medium size full frame bag. It's a slightly tight fit in the triangle, but plenty of room is left to access the battery. The second battery fits easily into the Ranger frame bag.

IMG_20210317_105420.jpg

I'm running the WTB Byways on the Synapse Neo and they're fantastic (650b 47mm). I have two sets of wheels (road slicks / gravel) that I can hot swap as needed. The Byways perform really well on both road and gravel. Highly recommend.

Well I bought some 4", 18mil thickness, helicopter tape. This is the same stuff they use to protect the leading edges of helicopter blades. It goes on the same way as a soft phone screen protector for your phone, cut it to size, clean the surface with soapy water, wipe it down with alcohol, spray it with a mild solution of soapy water, gently place the tape where you want it and firmly squeegy the water out leaving from the center to the edges, leaving no bubbles behind.

This should keep the frame in like new condition till it is removed. I also ordered a roll of 2" tape for the outside half of the chain stays, cranks and fork.
I also applied helicopter tape. However, I did not do a very good job, and I doubt it will stay affixed for long. I'll probably take the bike into a shop and have it professionally protected. I'm starting to get past the phase of worrying about getting my bike dirty. It's a weird psychological progression.

The second 500 watt Bosch horizontal power tube arrived this week as did the extra paint matched Cannondale battery cover plate. It all assembled quite easily getting the position on the cover exactly the same was a simple matter of eyeballing the exact relative position and tightening the set screw. It is perfect fit in the Revelate Tangle medium bag. I do wonder if this would work on a smaller bike. Mine is an XL and it just fits. The bag that @Spicy Legato shows above with its larger volume and diagonal bottom looks to be a viable solution for smaller bikes.

I got a piece of knit tubular fabric to protect the paint on the cover while jostling around in the bag or putting it in and pulling it out through a zippered compartment closure. Given that I can get 80 miles in Eco, 50 or more in Tour, 40 in Sport and 30 in Turbo, now my battery range exceeds my derriere's saddle time limit. Mission accomplished.

20210327_122433.jpg

20210327_122408.jpg

20210327_122253.jpg

Topstone_Neo_Carbon_Lefty_Geo_Table.jpg

The second 500 watt Bosch horizontal power tube arrived this week as did the extra paint matched Cannondale battery cover plate.

Your bike looks good, Alaskan. I love the suspension seat post.

I opted for a black battery cover, as it was half the price of the silver, and it allows me to easily tell batteries apart.

I hope Bosch offers a larger battery capacity in the same size form factor in the near future. I'd love 625 watt hours, or 750 watt hours, in the same size as the current 500 watt hour battery. A true fast charger would be nice as well. I'd like to cut charging time down to 2 hours, instead of 4.5.

Last edited:
I have found a good solution for a adding a second battery to the Topstone Neo. First the bike uses the horizontal version of the Bosch 500 watt powertube. Be sure it is the horizontal that you order.

Here is a link to a German Supplier of Cannondale parts that carries both the black cover for the Neo 2 and the silver cover for the Neo 3

To carry the battery safe, secure and centered between the wheels, the Tangle top tube frame bag by Revelate (an Alaska maker of excellent bike bags). It fits the battery with the cover on it perfectly. The zipper closes easily but the battery is quite snug inside the bag. The bag is almost a perfect fit, hanging below the top tube.

View attachment 80958

The bike is in the shop getting a pair of 47mm WTB Byway tires installed tubeless and the new Nyon. I will post a photo of the bike with the Tangle bag later.
I just got my Capstone Neo 5 last month.

I came up with a different solution for extending the range... Using a Bosch 500 watt frame mount power pack battery.

I used a piece of 1/16" carbon fiber and cut a rectangular piece the size of a frame mount 500 watt Bosch PowerPack. I placed it on the protrusion in the lower middle of the battery cover. I drilled 5mm holes to match the five holes on the protrusion. At the top end, i.e.closer to the cross-bar, I drilled two 3 mm holes. I got two 3 mm bolts and ground the heads into a "T-shape". These slide into the grooves of the battery. I put 5/16" carbon fiber space at the top of the rectangular carbon fiber plate I had previously cut (roughly 13" x 3 1/2"). This plate nicely mounts onto the battery cover, held on by the protrusion screws, i.e.screws that otherwise might be used for a water bottle cage, and the top end by those T-screws.

I mounted the upper and lower brackets onto the carbon fiber plate. The description of parts you need are on: https://www.ebike24.com/blog/bosch-dualbattery-compatibility-installation

Bosch makes a Y-harness that connects two batteries, so wiring is relatively straightforward.

If I don't want to have a second battery, I put the water bottle cage on, and if I want the second battery, vice versa. See pictures... The yellow and black case in the second water bottle cage is tools, an extra tube, and a pump.

The Bosch system auto-recognizes the second battery and automatically uses and charges them together.

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    585.6 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_4204.jpeg
    IMG_4204.jpeg
    514.4 KB · Views: 527
I just got my Capstone Neo 5 last month.

I came up with a different solution for extending the range... Using a Bosch 500 watt frame mount power pack battery.

I used a piece of 1/16" carbon fiber and cut a rectangular piece the size of a frame mount 500 watt Bosch PowerPack. I placed it on the protrusion in the lower middle of the battery cover. I drilled 5mm holes to match the five holes on the protrusion. At the top end, i.e.closer to the cross-bar, I drilled two 3 mm holes. I got two 3 mm bolts and ground the heads into a "T-shape". These slide into the grooves of the battery. I put 5/16" carbon fiber space at the top of the rectangular carbon fiber plate I had previously cut (roughly 13" x 3 1/2"). This plate nicely mounts onto the battery cover, held on by the protrusion screws, i.e.screws that otherwise might be used for a water bottle cage, and the top end by those T-screws.

I mounted the upper and lower brackets onto the carbon fiber plate. The description of parts you need are on: https://www.ebike24.com/blog/bosch-dualbattery-compatibility-installation

Bosch makes a Y-harness that connects two batteries, so wiring is relatively straightforward.

If I don't want to have a second battery, I put the water bottle cage on, and if I want the second battery, vice versa. See pictures... The yellow and black case in the second water bottle cage is tools, an extra tube, and a pump.

The Bosch system auto-recognizes the second battery and automatically uses and charges them together.
Hi John, this looks like a very interesting approach.

Have you had a chance to you use it much? Has it worked well? I'm curious as to how you arranged the wiring - how were you able to get the Y-adapter to work? If you are willing to provide more details, I'd be very appreciative.

TIA.

Hi John, this looks like a very interesting approach.

Have you had a chance to you use it much? Has it worked well? I'm curious as to how you arranged the wiring - how were you able to get the Y-adapter to work? If you are willing to provide more details, I'd be very appreciative.

TIA.
Hi,

Yes, I have been riding extensively with the two battery setup I described. When I connected the second battery, using the y-cable, the Bosch automatically incorporated the second battery into using it while discharging and while charging. The estimated range > 200km, all works fine.

Quite a pleasure having, for me, a virtually unlimited range at whatever power I choose. The batteries last long than my butt…

I drilled a small hole on the frame, just at the bottom of the new battery and ran the wire through (a grommet) the hole. To connect to the motor, I did remove the motor bolts (six of them) to drop the motor down about an inch. This allowed easy running of the y-cable and replugging the original frame battery to the y-cable. The other branch of the y-cable to the new battery left too much excess wire and plugs. So I cut that arm of the y-cable and the cable from the new battery, and soldered/heat shrinked to a better length. Here is the picture of wire into frame…

Attachments

• 7F719EA3-3A42-4653-8590-80A7FE801E1A.jpeg
    7F719EA3-3A42-4653-8590-80A7FE801E1A.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 313
Hi,

Yes, I have been riding extensively with the two battery setup I described. When I connected the second battery, using the y-cable, the Bosch automatically incorporated the second battery into using it while discharging and while charging. The estimated range > 200km, all works fine.

Quite a pleasure having, for me, a virtually unlimited range at whatever power I choose. The batteries last long than my butt…

I drilled a small hole on the frame, just at the bottom of the new battery and ran the wire through (a grommet) the hole. To connect to the motor, I did remove the motor bolts (six of them) to drop the motor down about an inch. This allowed easy running of the y-cable and replugging the original frame battery to the y-cable. The other branch of the y-cable to the new battery left too much excess wire and plugs. So I cut that arm of the y-cable and the cable from the new battery, and soldered/heat shrinked to a better length. Here is the picture of wire into frame…
Very nice - thanks for the added detail.

You have impressive fabrication skills!

Hi,

Thank you John for blazing this trail for me. I have a 2019 Synapse Neo SE and the range is great but I have big plans for long trips (250 miles or more) and so I ordered a PowerPack 500 on sale 20% off from REI. Now it's time to acquire the extra pieces for mounting it like you did, only on a Synapse, not the Topstone.
I'll post my work in another thread so as not to hijack this one.

Currently investigating options. I have a small size frame. I haven't measured the battery yet but the available space at the top tube inside the triangle is only about 14". With 2x bottle cages that drops bags down to pencil types. Just guesstimating it looks like even for a relevate tangle XS it would be a tight fit with XS@ 15.25 x 4 x 2.75 inches.

(Not even assured the battery with cover will fit in there yet.)

I plan on having a spare battery just because it seems prudent / maybe for a road trip. Will need to do some more homework for solutions on how to take it along on rides.

Last edited:
Back