Screen battery indicator vs. battery lights

Lizzybnh

I have gotten my fender issue sorted out; no more rubbing - thanks for the input. I have a another question about the battery indicators. I have about 100 miles on my Rook and have charged the battery a few times. After charging, when I put the battery back on the bike, the screen indicator only shows about 8 bars even though all four lights are lit on the battery itself. Yesterday I rode almost 30 miles after fully charging the battery. At the end of the ride, the battery indicator on the screen showed about 1/3 battery left, but all four lights on the battery were still lit. Which do I believe? I am a little nervous about being far out on the trail and not having any power to get back. Thanks for any help you can give me - I just love these forums; I have learned so much!

I don't have a Surface bike, but on my Pedego, the difference in the screen bars and the lights on the battery can be explained by the different number of categories. While the number appears to be the same (5 bars on the display, and 5 "lights" on the battery), it isn't the same, because the battery also has an additional two categories "flashing red" and "no lights". Pedego tech support provided this information:

Display on battery:
  • 5 bars - 100-90%
  • 4 bars - 89-70%
  • 3 bars - 69-50%
  • 2 bars - 49-30%
  • 1 red bar - 29-10%
  • Flashing red - 9-5%
  • no lights - 4-0%
Handlebar meter display:
  • 5 bars - 100-80%
  • 4 bars - 79-60%
  • 3 bars - 59-40%
  • 2 bars - 39-20%
  • 1 bar - 19-0%
Here's the thread where I found the above tables:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/pedego-battery-gauge-discrepancy.24745/

If you contact tech support for Surface, they may be able to provide you with this sort of information. You may also find that there is some kind of technical problem and get warranty support?

I don't have a Surface bike, but on my Pedego, the difference in the screen bars and the lights on the battery can be explained by the different number of categories. While the number appears to be the same (5 bars on the display, and 5 "lights" on the battery), it isn't the same, because the battery also has an additional two categories "flashing red" and "no lights". Pedego tech support provided this information:

Display on battery:
  • 5 bars - 100-90%
  • 4 bars - 89-70%
  • 3 bars - 69-50%
  • 2 bars - 49-30%
  • 1 red bar - 29-10%
  • Flashing red - 9-5%
  • no lights - 4-0%
Handlebar meter display:
  • 5 bars - 100-80%
  • 4 bars - 79-60%
  • 3 bars - 59-40%
  • 2 bars - 39-20%
  • 1 bar - 19-0%
Here's the thread where I found the above tables:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/pedego-battery-gauge-discrepancy.24745/

If you contact tech support for Surface, they may be able to provide you with this sort of information. You may also find that there is some kind of technical problem and get warranty support?

Thanks so much for the detailed reply! I can see where there would be a slight difference as the battery has more indicators than the handlebar display. My Rook has four lights on the battery and ten power increments on the display. When I bought the bike, the LBS told me that it might take a few charges before the handlebar display and the battery synced. I have charged the battery 3 or 4 times now but there is quite a discrepancy between the two devices. After riding, the battery will show full charge - all four lights lit - and the screen will show only three bars out of ten charged. I don’t know which to believe. Maybe they aren’t fully synced yet? I think I may contact customer support to figure out what is happening. Thanks again for your input!

I recently purchased a Rook for my wife. On our test ride we noticed the display was flashing the low battery icon, but the battery itself showed 4-bars. The dealer said it would take about 50 miles before the 2 would sync. We haven't had favorable riding conditions, so haven't put on many miles and haven't had to charge yet. I'll be keeping an eye on it and will let you know if things sync up.

I recently purchased a Rook for my wife. On our test ride we noticed the display was flashing the low battery icon, but the battery itself showed 4-bars. The dealer said it would take about 50 miles before the 2 would sync. We haven't had favorable riding conditions, so haven't put on many miles and haven't had to charge yet. I'll be keeping an eye on it and will let you know if things sync up.

The display started registering the battery charge right around 50 miles - after the second time that I charged the battery. On Sat., I rode 28 miles; the display showed about 3 bars of power remaining, but all four lights on the battery were still lit. I will keep watching it. I love the bike, though - it is really smooth, comfortable! , and fun to ride!

I have gotten my fender issue sorted out; no more rubbing - thanks for the input. I have a another question about the battery indicators. I have about 100 miles on my Rook and have charged the battery a few times. After charging, when I put the battery back on the bike, the screen indicator only shows about 8 bars even though all four lights are lit on the battery itself. Yesterday I rode almost 30 miles after fully charging the battery. At the end of the ride, the battery indicator on the screen showed about 1/3 battery left, but all four lights on the battery were still lit. Which do I believe? I am a little nervous about being far out on the trail and not having any power to get back. Thanks for any help you can give me - I just love these forums; I have learned so much!
The battery light indicator that is on your battery is more accurate than the LCD gauge. My screen can flashes zero another words it's telling me I need a full charge that I'm going to die any second. But I check my battery and I have over half of a battery. No it's the LCD gauge was right in the motor was shut down. The battery light indicator is right it cuz it's still running.

The battery light indicator that is on your battery is more accurate than the LCD gauge. My screen can flashes zero another words it's telling me I need a full charge that I'm going to die any second. But I check my battery and I have over half of a battery. No it's the LCD gauge was right in the motor was shut down. The battery light indicator is right it cuz it's still running.
You still should have a LCD screen that is accurate with your real battery level because it's a pain in the butt with these dummy battery bars. Ivar will only tell me if percentage range is the battery is in here is a battery can say all its bars and . But that last bar is between 86 percent here is who you might be taking off with a battery that is just 87% charged faking is 100% charged and 100%

The battery itself as a button when you push it it tells you how many likes you have on the battery itself. Not the reading from the LCD screen. The reading from the battery is more of a direct reading it's going to give you a more accurate reading then they then they LCD screen. Sometimes my no flash zero bars and will be flashing on my LCD screen. But I touch my battery and it will say I have three quarters of a battery remaining. There is an issue just like there's an issue with mine here. But in your case trust the battery indicator over the LCD indicator. Unless you spend boohoo dollars on a really nice LCD gauge that tells you percentages and not bars are a little more accurate but never is accurate as a direct contact to the battery. Also pull your battery off the bike tank of voltmeter and test the battery prongs we're at plugs in to the bike not where you plug it in to charge it even though it can be done that way as Spark can happen. So test from the back side you will see four prongs two of them will say positive two of them will say negative touch them with your volt meter it will tell you the voltage of the battery. Fully charged just sit around 54 volts a 48 volt system. The charger pumps 54.6 volts into that battery. a 36 volt system same principles just different voltages

Back