Schwalbe Smart Sam: Tyres That Are Silent On-Road And Quite Aggressive Off-Road

Unfortunately these amazon issues pop up from time to time, on my recent ebike build(with "smartsams" for the OP police), Im stuck without a rear brake now for now. All I can do is look at the bike

USPS shows the item as being received for just over 10 days now.

Just bought the same brake from another source, so I might end up with 2
This looks like BikeSomeWhere gaming the Amazon process...creating a shipping label so that they can bill your account and you can’t easily cancel the order. There’s a pretty clear pattern in the negative reviews online. They could be playing a cash flow game. I’m tempted to order 2 more direct from Schwalbe NA. We have 2 bikes so we will eventually need 4.

Well, I take back what I said about BikeSomeWhere. Tires were received today. Looks like the issue was USPS not scanning the package on intake. I did get notification that the package was delivered so apparently it was scanned on my end 🤷‍♂️. Not real helpful.

I just noticed that Schwable has introduced two new Ebike tires for 2021. ;)
The Pick-Up is a Cargo bike tire and Johnny Watts is an all-around SUV tire... similar to the Smart Sam.

1604344152446.png

1604344207340.png

Attachments

• 1604343956434.png
    1604343956434.png
    590.3 KB · Views: 1,242
So I mounted the SmartSam Plus tires today. They are clearly more sturdy (thicker material) than standard SmartSams and consequently significantly more difficult to mount. I could mount the standard tire without levers...the “plus” version required lots of levering. Test ride is day after tomorrow. The new tires are 7 mm narrower than the original tires and I will be interested to see if I notice the difference.

Last edited:
Well, I have done a few rides now on some smartsams in a 26x2.35 size. I have been running marathon plus MTB in a 29x2.25 and 27.5x2.25 on a few other ebikes for over a year now. Which is better I think just depends on the conditions. For alot of the loose gravel (almost sand like at times) where all the smartsam little fingers can dig it, it definatley feels better. On more hardpack up to pavement the marathon plus with the bigger less flexy knobs feels better.

I came up on a pavement corner tonight and had to apply front brake while in a turn. I could definately feel the smartsam knobs just roll/fall over. While applying front brake in a corner is a NONO, its the only option I have on that bike (no rear brake at the moment). Getting the rear brakes in a few days.

Will have to see how the smartsams wear, I might run them on the front with the marathon plus MTB in the rear.

The smartsams are amazingly quiet on pavement for the tread pattern, I would have never guess that by looking at the tread. Thanks stefan for pointing that out.

I do like the new Johhny Watts, could be awesome in a plus size

Last edited:
Agreed the Smart Sams are very capable multi-purpose tyres. For me it was the puncture protection that let them down - three punctures in two months. Since I changed to Marathon E-Plus I haven't had another puncture and they are proof that Smart Sams are quiet rather than silent on road - I couldn't hear my motor before but I can now. I do like the look of those Johnny Watts though. I'll have to see how quickly I can wear out the Marathons.

If I wanted to "convert" my Giant Trance E+ from e-MTB to multi-purpose e-bike, I might go with John Watts in tubeless setup. I'm not in hurry though. Let's see how riding e-MTB on off-road tyres in snow will feel like first ;)

Well, I have done a few rides now on some smartsams in a 26x2.35 size. I have been running marathon plus MTB in a 29x2.25 and 27.5x2.25 on a few other ebikes for over a year now. Which is better I think just depends on the conditions. For alot of the loose gravel (almost sand like at times) where all the smartsam little fingers can dig it, it definatley feels better.
On more hardpack up to pavement the marathon plus with the bigger less flexy knobs feels better.

I came up on a pavement corner tonight and had to apply front brake while in a turn. I could definately feel the smartsam knobs just roll/fall over. While applying front brake in a corner is a NONO, its the only option I have on that bike (no rear brake at the moment). Getting the rear brakes in a few days.
Will have to see how the smartsams wear, I might run them on the front with the marathon plus MTB in the rear.
The smartsams are amazingly quiet on pavement for the tread pattern, I would have never guess that by looking at the tread. Thanks stefan for pointing that out.
I do like the new Johhny Watts, could be awesome in a plus size
Great feedback on the Smart Sam vs. the Plus MTB... I think the new Johnny Watts tire will be a nice addition with 2.6" - 2.8" wide sizes.
I am currently running 27.5 x 2.8" Nobby Nics on my BH full suspension and will probably go with the Johnny Watts as a replacement. ;)

Last edited:
I wish they made SS+ in 700 x 47. We ride a number of trails that have a stone dust surface and there are often soft spots. We’ll see how the 700 x 40’s work out. Might choose to go the other direction if they would fit...more research 😉

I wish they made SS+ in 700 x 47. We ride a number of trails that have a stone dust surface and there are often soft spots.
We’ll see how the 700 x 40’s work out. Might choose to go the other direction if they would fit...more research 😉
I just checked the Schwalbe site and it appears that they produce a 700 x 47mm Smart Sam Plus. ;)

1604441446275.png

Attachments

• 1604441329340.png
    1604441329340.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Interesting. This is what the Schwalbe NA site (where one can order tires) shows. Guess I will have to contact them:
Screenshot (1).png

Last edited:
So 2021 products are now available on the Schwalbe NA online store. Ordered my 47-622 Smart Sam Plus tires today and they should ship tomorrow. These will go on my wife’s bike. 700-40c SS+ tires are working fine on my bike. The only difference I have noticed is that 47-622 tires were a bit more comfortable on bumpy pavement. Logical, given additional air volume for cushioning in the 47-622. When the 700-40’s are worn out, I will order two more 47-622’s for my bike.

Back