Schwalbe Johnny Watts (and other Schwalbe SUV tyres) User Club

Thanks guys, i just ordered the normal JW's. Do they grip decently on wet pavement?
Yes the regular JWs are fine in the wet and in the cold. I've ridden through the last several winters in Seattle with them. I feel far more confident on them then with the Super MotoX I had previously.

They aren't winter tires obviously but I've had enough morning commutes at or below freezing to be comfortable on them.

Yes the regular JWs are fine in the wet and in the cold. I've ridden through the last several winters in Seattle with them. I feel far more confident on them then with the Super MotoX I had previously.

They aren't winter tires obviously but I've had enough morning commutes at or below freezing to be comfortable on them.
You have been lucky or never made a more complicated maneuver on them. Regular JWs become hard at low temps, and the traction becomes limited. My brother once tried to make a U-turn on a cold, wet, and slick surface, which resulted in a collapse so violent his Garmin sent a distress signal to his son! As my brother was at those times actively commuting, he swapped the regular JWs for JW365, and rode on the latter for three cold seasons (when there was no ice). He also thinks JW365 would wear fast during the warm season.

It all depends on the weather type in a given area and is very similar to the choice of winter car tyres or riding on multiseason ones. For instance, a sane Polish driver would use winter tyres while multiseason ones are a popular choice for Denmark.

I can only re-iterate JWs are the warm season tyres while JW365 are recommended for cold weather.

1721289674641.png

Regular JWs when first installed.

@DTCsjoerd: I assume you have not ridden your Cube on the stock Smart Sams yet? As you have already decided to make the swap, all I can say is store the Smart Sams in good conditions. You might later discover how badly you need them :)

Last edited:
Just did some offroad riding up and down some steep very wet grass covered hills. Using standard JW 27.5 x2.35. Rear didn't break traction once, which surprised me, thought might have walk a couple of climbs.

Offroad part of this ride wasn't planned otherwise would used FS emtb instead of trekking ebike with JW.

You have been lucky or never made a more complicated maneuver on them. Regular JWs become hard at low temps, and the traction becomes limited. My brother once tried to make a U-turn on a cold, wet, and slick surface, which resulted in a collapse so violent his Garmin sent a distress signal to his son! As my brother was at those times actively commuting, he swapped the regular JWs for JW365, and rode on the latter for three cold seasons (when there was no ice). He also thinks JW365 would wear fast during the warm season.

It all depends on the weather type in a given area and is very similar to the choice of winter car tyres or riding on multiseason ones. For instance, a sane Polish driver would use winter tyres while multiseason ones are a popular choice for Denmark.

I can only re-iterate JWs are the warm season tyres while JW365 are recommended for cold weather.

View attachment 179155
Regular JWs when first installed.

@DTCsjoerd: I assume you have not ridden your Cube on the stock Smart Sams yet? As you have already decided to make the swap, all I can say is store the Smart Sams in good conditions. You might later discover how badly you need them :)
Thanks for all the great advice Stefan. I indeed haven't ridden on Smart Sam's yet but will make sure to store them in good conditions! :D

You have been lucky or never made a more complicated maneuver on them. Regular JWs become hard at low temps, and the traction becomes limited. My brother once tried to make a U-turn on a cold, wet, and slick surface, which resulted in a collapse
Really, Stefan? I'll refrain from speculating about Jacek's luck or the skill level required to make a u turn.

Setting aside your insulting insinuation, I agree that regular JWs are not winter tires. However, they are perfectly serviceable all season tires in mild climates or 3 season tires in a location where you need a true winter tire with persistent below freezing temps.

That said, they are not a 'warm' season only tire and your claim that their traction is 'limited' starting at +10C is baseless speculation. Of course the 365 tires will have better -but still limited- traction (and worse rolling resistance) at low temperatures due to the softer compound. That does not mean that the regular Addix is ineffective, ESPECIALLY FOR WET PERFORMANCE WHICH WAS THE QUESTION.

Apparently neither does Schwalbe:
All of our Schwalbe Addix Compounds are rather insensitive to temperatures in usual conditions (from double-digit minus degrees to summer temperatures) and have a significantly lower glazing temperatures than some of our competitors. This is the reason why our tires work well under a wide range of conditions.

and

Schwalbe Addix Compounds are perfect for year-round use due to their special composition, which easily tolerates temperature fluctuations

Setting aside your insulting insinuation
You Americans seem to be so easily offendable... It was certainly not my intention to insult you.

You can defend your point. I'd say JWs are suboptimal for low temps and wet, that's it.

Were I you, I'd never question the expertise of Jacek, whose riding skill (both gravel and MTB) are beyond anything you or I could do :) He never does unnecessary actions or purchases. His choice of JW365 was very well thought out.

1721535449920.png

He rides with an advanced MTB cycling club, only in the winters.

Back