Please recommend some tyres for my ebike

If you ask me FlatSix, I would have used Johnny Watts 2.6" :)
Which I plan to use on my Trance E+ for the warm season. Yes, there is another matter: the Trance's rims are 35 mm. Try to read in more detail, FlatSix :)
@Flo: I forgot to tell you your Johnny Watts tyres will be very good for off-road unless you plan to ride in the sand.
Agreed... Johnny Watts is a good all-road "SUV" tire with smooth-rolling resistance and level 6 puncture protection;)

1613242960070.png

1613242800007.png

Last edited:
Cool tire...have never even seen these before.
I tend to go all smooth for road, all knobby for offroad. Great 'suv' tire in balloon sizes.
A set is to be delivered to me today. It will wait for the Spring. It's the latest thing from Schwalbe, I think.

A set is to be delivered to me today. It will wait for the Spring. It's the latest thing from Schwalbe, I think.
Now we get to see whose weather cooperates better so we can try them out.
Unfortunately the weather here is somewhat fickle and spring could be in June...

Thankfully, when I put the Ice Spikers on to replace the Forekasters, I figured out some good tricks on getting the tires on - off was dead simple.
It had been a VERY long time since I'd changed out any tires.

My situation is even more complicated because of tubeless setup. I use help of Jacek to change tyres on my Trance: He owns a compressor with a Presta valve adapter to seat the tyre bead on the rim quickly and properly...

Last edited:
Looks kinda cool 👍
Well, I'm not sure how 'cool' it is LOL, but it sure works well for road riding.
I was able to source a second set of complete wheel sets for the bike for $150. My guess to buy them new outright would be closer to a grand. Found a set of take-off tires on ebay, sourced a second cassette, so a simple axle swap to change them out from knobby to street in a matter of seconds. Lock out the suspension, and it rides just like the Giant Explore I had originally purchased as my first ebike. I sold the Explore, it was redundant.

The only caveat is that now the 20mph/32kmh speed max is rather too easy to hit. It's fine riding with the wife as she's not so fast, but if I was doing a lot of miles, riding with a fast group, or riding on my own a lot, I would want to de-restrict it and install a larger front chain ring. You really don't even need the gears - start in 5th gear or so, shift up to high, and it hits top speed in an instant.

Interesting that road riding produces just about the same range with the 500w pack as the Explore did with its 400w pack. It's really easy to ride.

I got two bikes in one this way. 😇

0D392CA3-8386-4282-BF5F-BFA01BCBAD5B.jpg

12A10FF5-588E-4D24-A7ED-188FE8298616.jpg

and install a larger front chain ring
You probably might. I tentatively tried to fit a 48T 104 BCD Deckas ring. If you removed the chain-guide for good and fitted a longer chain, it seems that there would be no obstacle to install the ring needed to achieve and maintain 28 mph at reasonable cadence. Wait until I return from my short ride, remove the pedal and try fitting the larger chainring to make sure.

@Browneye: You can safely fit up to 48T chainring. The clearance to the chainstay remains decent. (You got me so interested I tried that prior to my ride!) :)
The problem is you won't find any chainring larger than 38T for 12-speed chain.
P.S. There's a product:
VXM chainring
I'm not sure I trust it is good for 12-speed chain (although it is declared as such)

Last edited:
I need to keep my eyes out for some wheels as I really like the idea of quick swaps. If I could keep the investment under $500, I'd probably go ahead and do it. It would still be cheaper than N+1.

@Browneye: You can safely fit up to 48T chainring. The clearance to the chainstay remains decent. (You got me so interested I tried that prior to my ride!) :)
The problem is you won't find any chainring larger than 38T for 12-speed chain.
P.S. There's a product:
VXM chainring
I'm not sure I trust it is good for 12-speed chain (although it is declared as such)

34 is stock, right? I was thinking 38 or 40 would be ideal, without affecting offroad too much. I never use first gear offroad anyway.
Somewhere around here Flatsix had vendor links for chain rings. I got all ready to order one, then just never did. I was reluctant to de-restrict yet as well. The bike doesn't see much road, and when it does I'm riding with wifey. She's slowwwwww.... :rolleyes: 😆

Oh, and 2019 is eleven speed. I think that makes a difference, but don't know for sure.
EDIT: Went and found the specs... "Praxis Wavetm 36T"

Last edited:
Cool. I found those on Amazon, but wasn't sure if they would fit.
Going 36 to 40 I think might be ideal. Hope I don't regret not fitting a 42. Too many is too much, no?? Did you change yours?

Can you change out the chain ring without pulling the crank?
Will any of these fit under the stock guide?
Stock chain length? Or do I need more links?

EDIT: I found a gear ratio chart with speed, based on small ring and various front ring sizes. For 11t rear, going 36 to 40 is about 10% increase in speed. I think that might be perfect.

34 is stock, right? I was thinking 38 or 40 would be ideal, without affecting offroad too much. I never use first gear offroad anyway.
Somewhere around here Flatsix had vendor links for chain rings. I got all ready to order one, then just never did. I was reluctant to de-restrict yet as well. The bike doesn't see much road, and when it does I'm riding with wifey. She's slowwwwww.... :rolleyes: 😆

Oh, and 2019 is eleven speed. I think that makes a difference, but don't know for sure.
EDIT: Went and found the specs... "Praxis Wavetm 36T"
I upgraded one of my Shimano EBikes from the 38T to 44T front chainring and have never looked back... the top end speed with the delimiter is great. ;)

Johnny Watts update:
Rode 45km on them yesterday.

Very quiet and really nice rolling characteristics.
After riding for the last few months on Ice Spikers, I couldn't believe how loud my motor was! ;)

Most of the ride was on paved surface, but some grass and dirt as well as a little snow and Ice.
For the pavement, dirt and grass, they felt very secure. On snow and ice - they felt like they were on snow and ice...

From the Schwalbe website:

JOHNNY WATTS

THE PERFECT CHOICE FOR SUV BIKES.
Like no other, Johnny Watts unites smooth rolling on hard ground with longevity and puncture protection. Off-road instilling confidence, while on pavement rolling whisper-quiet.

• Versatile tread for a wide range of use from asphalt to off-road.
• Blocks with large contact areas for excellent rolling, little vibration and high durability.
• Steady and forgiving cornering behavior on hard ground.

My personal opinion (albeit from only one ride) was that there is the occasional "truth in advertising" and this is one of them.

Back