Saris Hitch Rack for 500?

knharper

Region
USA
I have a Saris Freedom Hitch rack and tried it on my new 500 ST yesterday. It almost worked! The rack has a middle stem that has a brace for the downtube but the ratchet strap is too short to fit around the battery and the tube. Saris does sell some longer straps, but they seem to be out of stock. Ebay only seems to sell regular-size strap replacements. Are these something I could find elsewhere? Or somehow strap it some other way? Also, the Saris requires quite a lift to get the 55+ lb bike onto the rack. Is there a better way? Thanks.

Attachments

• saris-4412b-freedom-2-bike-black.jpeg
    saris-4412b-freedom-2-bike-black.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 224
I think I figured out how to get this to work. It might work as is with removal of battery, but I have not tried it yet. Local bike shop says any ratchet strap will work, and some longer third party ones will work with the Saris cups to clamp on wheels and mid frame. Lifting bike is still tricky for an old lady, though. Have seen racks with ramps but I don't think that would work with this rack.

It’s good practice to remove the battery while transporting the bike. It’ll be easier to lift the bike on to the rack and the battery won’t get jilted around as harsh.

A trick for getting the bike on to the rack would be to line the bike up next to the rack, pull the rear brake and pull the bike back wards, to lift the front wheel. Now you place the front wheel into the rack. Strap that wheel down. Then you can lift the rear wheel into the rack. Strap the rear wheel down. Now just strap the frame down with any type of strap. My rack came with elastic Velcro straps. Rope would even work, as long as you have a secure knot.

Back