Safety with E Bikes

Oldbkr

Today I was given a further understanding of the increased safety with e bikes. In front of my property is a state highway, During the Summer it increases in volume due to the recreation and amusement parks north of me. To add to the situation is a detour using the road also. Normally in the middle of the day it's not so bad so I took off to go to town. I only have to ride a half mile to get to a side road for my journey. Well today the road had some surprises. Seemingly out of nowhere I was put in a squeeze play with opposite direction semis leaving me a window that was rapidly decreasing. Anyway...thank goodness for my Throttle. I ramped up speed so fast that the E bike smile appeared on my otherwise worried face. I suppose I should wait until the detour is over(but I don't want too:) ). If you know your bike and how to use it I really believe E bikes with rapid acceleration can be a potential life saver..IMHO :)

So glad you made it. I too have come upon sticky situations, and find the throttle is my friend. This is especially true at the end of a sprint and I don’t have the energy to get out with peddling alone.

Not sure why.. but I dont like the idea of a throttle on an ebike.

It is probably something I just need to get over... but a bicycle with a throttle is a motorcycle or scooter IMHO. I own motorcycles and bicycles, and at one point I was one of those cycling purists that disliked the idea of an ebike. I’ve since come around and am an advocate for ebiking, but a throttle seems to cross a line...

My bike doesn't have a throttle, my wife's bike does. My opinion about a throttle has evolved. I didn't want a throttle when I bought my bike because I knew I "needed" the bike for exercise as well as recreation and I didn't trust myself to not use the throttle all the time. But after some experience and observation, I can see the value of a throttle. I can now see how the throttle helps with smoother startups and adds safety when crossing busy streets and in other situations. Also, as my wife has had some health problems, being able to depend a little more on the throttle at times when she isn't feeling up to par has allowed her to keep biking rather than just staying home.

So far, I am completely comfortable riding my ebike without a throttle and don't need it. And as I stated in another thread, I would not want to give up my IGH (internally geared hub) shifting in order to get a throttle. But I know the time may come where I will need a throttle for the same reasons my wife needs it now. So when it's time to purchase a new bike, I think I will put a throttle on the "must have" list.

I am an avid mountain biker and having a throttle really helps when you hit that sudden incline, maneuvering over rough terrain or need just a little bit of an extra boost at certain points to to get up hills etc. Also when riding in the city, a throttle to be extremely useful when going from a full stop and getting up to speed quickly. One time I was even attacked by a dog and was able to getaway and outlast him thanks to my throttle

I am an avid mountain biker and having a throttle really helps when you hit that sudden incline, maneuvering over rough terrain or need just a little bit of an extra boost at certain points to to get up hills etc. Also when riding in the city, a throttle to be extremely useful when going from a full stop and getting up to speed quickly. One time I was even attacked by a dog and was able to getaway and outlast him thanks to my throttle

This is meant with zero disrespect. I am just not sold on the concept of a throttle on a bicycle (and think it changes it from bicycle to something else..). I have this image of somone riding a throttle bike, with them cruising down the road without peddling.. it looks like a scooter.

I am also an avid cyclist, and have been in many sketchy spots with oncoming traffic, vicious dogs, tough hills, and other hazards, all with non assisted bikes. I knew my capabilities and biked accordingly. If there’s a hill, I gear down. If pulling into traffic, I don’t do it until I have room to do so safely. starting after a light turns to green is much easier with some skill and proper gear usage (I often see people get stuck at lights because they forget to downshift). I’ve outrun dogs with very little effort without e-assistance. Having ANY e-bike makes these tasks (to me) appear ridiculously easier still (even without a throttle)... not sure why a throttle needs to be used (but that’s just me). Don’t get me wrong, I understand it makes these tasks easier... maybe it’s a little TOO easy for me...?

...but we aren’t talking about “easier”, we were talking safety (from the OP).

And ultimately I think the safety advantage of a throttle is tenuous IMHO. I think that you’re very unlinked to place yourself in spots where the throttle comes into play, unless you have one. Ride to your bike’s and body’s limitations (ok, maybe push it some for fitness’s sake), but for the love of god, don’t pull out in front of an oncoming semi... ;)

All of my ebikes have throttles, even the low powered models. WIth those, I'd be squashed if caught in oldbkr's squeeze play, but the throttles are still great for getting a quick start when crossing a busy intersection on a walk signal. Those left turning cars will kill you if you're slow.

Nonetheless, I ride for fun, and that means lowest pedal assist.

At my fitness level, a throttle was absolutely a necessity on my ebike choice and I use it with some frequency. I rarely or never use it to give my legs a rest, but it's great to have on inclining intersections. My commuting route includes a few of those. Gives me a lot of confidence that I'm in control and have power in a pinch.

I'm in this primarily for health and fitness. I don't want a throttle. With a Bosch drive, gears and strong legs I normally beat cars through intersections when the light turns green. Not sure what a throttle adds to what I already have except a no effort mode.

This is meant with zero disrespect. I am just not sold on the concept of a throttle on a bicycle (and think it changes it from bicycle to something else..). I have this image of somone riding a throttle bike, with them cruising down the road without peddling.. it looks like a scooter.

I am also an avid cyclist, and have been in many sketchy spots with oncoming traffic, vicious dogs, tough hills, and other hazards, all with non assisted bikes. I knew my capabilities and biked accordingly. If there’s a hill, I gear down. If pulling into traffic, I don’t do it until I have room to do so safely. starting after a light turns to green is much easier with some skill and proper gear usage (I often see people get stuck at lights because they forget to downshift). I’ve outrun dogs with very little effort without e-assistance. Having ANY e-bike makes these tasks (to me) appear ridiculously easier still (even without a throttle)... not sure why a throttle needs to be used (but that’s just me). Don’t get me wrong, I understand it makes these tasks easier... maybe it’s a little TOO easy for me...?

...but we aren’t talking about “easier”, we were talking safety (from the OP).

And ultimately I think the safety advantage of a throttle is tenuous IMHO. I think that you’re very unlinked to place yourself in spots where the throttle comes into play, unless you have one. Ride to your bike’s and body’s limitations (ok, maybe push it some for fitness’s sake), but for the love of god, don’t pull out in front of an oncoming semi... ;)
Maybe you ride for different reasons than some of us. As one whose main use of an ebike is for everyday transportation - healthful exercise running a close second - and who couldn't ride a Dino bike due to COPD, I want every advantage I can get. The throttle does provide a level of safety for all the reasons stated above. Maybe those reasons don't apply to you personally, but I don't understand the dismissive attitude. You say you don't understand; looks like you don't want to understand, because numerous people have expressed why they want a throttle in clear, understandable terms.

Just because a bike has a throttle doesn't mean you have to use it. If you are out strictly for the exercise, use some self control and keep your hand off it.

Although my bike has one, I use it sparingly and consider it more of a safety feature. For us older folk with bad joints or respiratory issues, it could be the difference between getting home safely or calling 911.

Maybe you ride for different reasons than some of us. As one whose main use of an ebike is for everyday transportation - healthful exercise running a close second - and who couldn't ride a Dino bike due to COPD, I want every advantage I can get. The throttle does provide a level of safety for all the reasons stated above. Maybe those reasons don't apply to you personally, but I don't understand the dismissive attitude. You say you don't understand; looks like you don't want to understand, because numerous people have expressed why they want a throttle in clear, understandable terms.

Bruce. I do understand that the throttle makes things easier. I’m not saying people shouldn’t have them. If you like the throttle, and it works for your lifestyle, then by all means who am I to judge what you do. I am simply stating my opinion that:

1- it’s purpose is to make it easier (potentially effortless). I don’t think a throttle is necessarily a safety feature. In fact, I think one could argue it both ways. From my perspective reliance on a throttle could get you into trouble as well.. as already mentioned, it certainly removes a level of connectivity with the bike and environment. The OP was discussing things from a safety stance, not a judgment on whether people should have them.

2- I believe a throttle changes the classification from bike to something else. It’s just my feelings on the matter. This isn’t to say you shouldn’t ride that something else (as disclosed, I own and enjoy motorcycles with throttles).

I believe in a throttle, and normally road ride with mine off, for safety purposes to avoid accidental operation. I turn it on at intersections if it looks like I have to stop. Why? The best intentions are not going to help a 60# bike sprint from a standing start, but the throttle will!

it’s purpose is to make it easier (potentially effortless). I don’t think a throttle is necessarily a safety feature.

For a person who needs a throttle, it is a safety feature.
Also, on Class 2 ebikes (which have throttles) the throttle can be uninstalled--when I got my son his ebike, I had the dealer do this, because I thought it introduced another layer of complexity.

After my teenager was very comfortable with all of his bike's controls yet still was having difficulty starting his bike on some steeper hills, we went back to the dealer and they installed his throttle. I think it is definitely a safety feature for some people for starting up on some hills--the throttle allows the rider to proceed up the hill on a straight course, instead of wobbling around or zig-zagging to get started (which is what my teen had to do before we installed his throttle).

I think a lot of this depends on the terrain a person is riding on, as well as rider strength, cycling experience, etc. All of those things combine to create a unique profile of the cyclist+environment... and sometimes a throttle, I think, is needed. I'm very grateful for the bike manufacturers who lobbied to have throttles included in ebike classifications where an ebike could have a throttle and still be classified as a bicycle permitted to go on mixed use trails.

I think it is emerging quite clearly that having a throttle is a matter of personal choice, condition and circumstances.

For some it makes an ebiking possible and safe. For others a throttle would serve no purpose.

This forum gives all of us the opportunity to learn about how others use this great technology and what features matter, depending on perspective.

Back