Safety precautions while riding a bike

Just last week I let a friend try out one of my emtbs. As I handed him a helmet and gloves he tried to refuse. I told him; "you can't ride my stuff if you don't". Boy I am so glad I made him wear them as a few miles into the ride he grabbed too much brake (hydro brakes are very powerful!) and went over the bars landing partially on his head. Helmet was bashed pretty good but his noggin was fine, but he sustained two fractured wrists. I'm sure he would have sustained head/brain injury had he not been wearing a helmet.

Just last week I let a friend try out one of my emtbs. As I handed him a helmet and gloves he tried to refuse. I told him; "you can't ride my stuff if you don't". Boy I am so glad I made him wear them as a few miles into the ride he grabbed too much brake (hydro brakes are very powerful!) and went over the bars landing partially on his head. Helmet was bashed pretty good but his noggin was fine, but he sustained two fractured wrists. I'm sure he would have sustained head/brain injury had he not been wearing a helmet.
Brilliant move! I learned about gravel imbeded in my palms as a wee lad!

Last edited:
I've got such a big noggin (something like 68-70cm) that nearly all bicycle helmets don't fit me. Best I could do was get a Bell XLV a few years ago, and even then I had to cut and modify the strap system to give me more room. I'm tall and I have a long head and the helmet perches up there in a most dorky way. Most of my riding is on paved trails, and I haven't wrecked or fallen in over 20 years, back when I used to mountain bike.

Still, I wouldn't ride without it. Same reason I continue to carry full coverage car insurance on paid-for cars - I don't plan on having an accident, but, that's why they're called "accidents."

In Holland there is a discussion about helmets. Most people don't wear them. I only wear a helmet on my S-EBIKE, over 35 kpu. On my normal bike I don't.

I've had two low speed accidents in which I crushed a helmet. Both would have resulted in serious head injury if I only wore a helmet when going fast.

I also don't believe in "All the gear all the time" or "Dress for the crash, not the ride." There's always more you can do, but it's not always worth it. The ATGATT guys don't all wear one-piece racing leathers all the time. You make conscessions for comfort. On a motorcycle, I always wore a full-face helmet, armored gloves and boots, and an armored mesh jacket. I didn't always wear my armored leather jacket and armored pants.

On an ebike, I always wear a helmet, although I forgot mine last time and rode anyway. I don't feel I need full-face. I usually wear gloves, and never wear flip-flops. I wear shorts and a tank when it's hot. That's what works for me.

I always wear a helmet when I ride my bike. And I am sorry that your brother got that trauma. I think that the importance of helmets is frequently underestimated. They make sense at any ride, in all the conditions and areas. And I consider that helmet doesn't make you look stupid.The results of numerous investigations helped manufacturers design lightweight, comfortable reliable and pretty helmets. So you can look cool and be safe when you wear your helmet . If you can't find helmet that fits you I recommend read this article (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) because properly chosen helmet is a halfway to a safe ride.
I wish you to be safe and have a good time while riding a bike.

Last edited:
My wife, son and I have each required new helmets after crashes. Son and I MTBing, to be expected but my wife's was a low speed (5mph) crash on cycle path. Front clipped edge and slide out and she face planted. Came away dazed and with massive black eye, helmet protected her temple, it was a new helmet which we had fitted correctly. If it wasn'the for tight fit outcome would have been worse.

We all wear our helmets no matter how slow and tame the ride.

To my pleasant surprise today I found out Specialized give 30% discount off replacement helmets due to crash. No receipt needed and can be different store. Worth asking about when buying new helmet.

Just last week I had a downhill crash and if not for my helmet I wouldn't be riding this now. Wear as much protection as you can without compromising your riding comfort. I strongly recommend good quality helmet, elbow pads by G-Form (can't even feel they are on) and long gloves. This is not the first crash that I thank my helmets for saving my life. Wear it !!!

I like to wear a helmet. It protects my head, has a visor to shield some of the sun in my eyes, and hides my grey hair! So, I like to think it makes me look younger!

I dont agree. I dont wear a helmet, and that has nothing to do with looking stupid (or not). In Holland averyone is aware of bikes on the roads or on bike-paths, we all ride bikes here. Helmets protect, specially y high speeds. Holland is flat, on a normal bike my speed is around 20-22 kmph. I fell a few timens, injured my shouder and my hand, never my head.
But this forum is a E-bike-forum, and I do wear my helmet on the E-bike.
Peter .... You sound like a smart guy. The question you should answer is why you don't. The reason you gave that most people don't is really a poor one. If you fell several times as you stated without a helmet, my recommendation is to wear one on your next ride. The odds are against you. Just my thoughts.

I definitely want to wear a helmet. I reviewed information on helmets.org and on the Snell website. They suggest that ordinary bicycle helmets which are tested for a 14 mph crash are not adequate for ebikes where speeds maybe greater. Helmets.org actually suggests using a lite motorcycle helmet. Snell has an L-98 standard for ebikes. I am not finding many ebike specific helmets. Abus has one called the "Pedelec". A reviewer of the Bell Annex suggests it would be a good ebike helmet. I am thinking about the Annex which can be had with a wind visor. But I am interested in learning about other preferred choices for ebike helmets.

I work emergency medicine. We see lots of trauma. It sad to see the damaged bodies (and brains) in otherwise healthy people from activities such a horse riding, bike riding, skiing. Very common. Be careful and try to preserve your body for more good days beyond this one.
Absolutely wear a helmet.

I work emergency medicine. We see lots of trauma. It sad to see the damaged bodies (and brains) in otherwise healthy people from activities such a horse riding, bike riding, skiing. Very common. Be careful and try to preserve your body for more good days beyond this one.
Absolutely wear a helmet.
Me too. But I just fly the ambulance.

Good land, imagine that someone has ridden fot more than 55 years and hasn't fallen in 54. IMO there are no accidents only carelessness or riding beyond ones skill set. There are studies, peer reviewed, that indicate people take more risks wearing helmets. Helmet discussions nearly always end up with someone claimng the high ground. Understand the ridks and mitigate the possibilties. I condider ice ans snow riding to be higher risk, so I wear one. The rest of the year I understand the risks. Bike helmets dont protect the zones with the highest potential. Lower face and chin.

Back