safety on bikes-lights/reflective vests etc

vincent

have posted a similar thread a few years ago but wish more bicyclists would use multiple lights, different colored lights , reflective vests, BRIGHT colors

I am COMPLETELY paranoid about having a car hit me or my friends while riding and am amazed at the idiots riding dark bikes in dark clothes with a $30 light on the front

to me the bottom line is you cannot be bright enough or well lit enough ever

the argument that the car should have seen you is foolish and will mean nothing when that 4000lbs hits you and you are paralyzed
$200 worth of extra lights/vest is totally worth it imo

and you can certainly do it cheaper than that with all the new led stuff available
reflective vests are $7 on amazon

right now my bikes are not even set up well for riding imo, they need more reflective tape, more lights

that being said every bike is running 2 higher end rear lights, 2 or 3 higher end front lights, everyone is wearing a pink or yellow reflective vest/yellow or white helmet with lights and usually a reflective belt or noxgear lighted vest
any bags are always bought with bright color/reflective stuff in mind even if I do not like the way the way they look- and I don't

my least favorite color in the world is pink, but it shows up better than yellow or orange so that is the color of my reflective vest

I am so well lit/reflective that I actually feel safer riding at night than the day

this gets me to a story from a week ago riding in california
we rode Coronado island over in San Diego - great ride if you are over that way, fun to ride the ferry with the bikes
took the bike path down the highway across the bay part and came back when it was getting dark, passed numerous joggers, skaters in dark clothes - NUTS
I was running 2400 lumens on more combined on the front of my bike/helmet and needed it every bit of it at 15mph to see these guys in the dark

then we get back to the van and start to load bikes
a man walks over and ask me where I got the colored lights we had on, had to ask which one of us lol , because I had on noxgear and my friend was wearing an led belt
he wanted info on both
pretty much every time I ride my bikes some stranger ask me about the lights or comments on how well lit my bikes are- everyone should be riding like this imo

am going to put a couple of links and comments on products
these would make great Xmas gifts

this is not rechargeable but I use rechargeable batteries in it and they seem to last a long time

$20 and is rechargeable , last super long time, also does flashing, different colors, if I am using a backpack will run this in a diagonal across the back

for some reason I cannot link to the reflective safety vest page on amazon
do a search for that and there are hundreds of hits at the $10 and below price point

only downside to yellow vest is often on the radrover people would think I was security or police I guess
being mostly deaf and not able to hear people well this was a hassle, you probably won't get this with pink and it shows up better!
even with that totally worth it for the visibility

I have bought numerous used/open package niterider and cyrgolite headlights/tailights on craigslist and ebay
out of probably 25-30 of them had 2 eventually have a battery issue and need replacing

having problems posting links all the sudden, going to post this and try to add links to it later

I have the Lumos Helmet also and really like it so far, there are several of them on sale on eBay, that’s where I got mine and it seems to work fine

I have my stock vado head light and taillight, plus a pair of front and rear flashing lights, plus a flashing helmet rear light, plus a yellow helmet, yellow vest, and the vado has reflective tire walls.

Also think about adding a good rear view mirror. Being able to keep track of what is going on behind you is critical to avoiding problems. Too bad that it is so hard to find a good mirror that fits an ebike. Would be nice if they would add threaded holes in the brake lever so the mirror could be placed correctly.

Bike Peddler Take A Look Cycling Eyeglass Mirror works for me . (Original size , not Compact) .

1576724617230.png

Ad Copy from Lupine's Website :
"Lupine's ROTLICHT, German for 'Red Light', is probably the brightest and most intelligent rear bike light on the market.
With an incredible 160-lumen output of bright, ruby-red light, and integrated battery, this must-have accessory for cyclists has some incredible features- like a brake light and brightness sensor- that boost safety and visibility both night and day."
https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/rotlicht_REDLIGHT_smart_taillight.asp

1576736654417.png

have posted a similar thread a few years ago but wish more bicyclists would use multiple lights, different colored lights , reflective vests, BRIGHT colors

I am COMPLETELY paranoid about having a car hit me or my friends while riding and am amazed at the idiots riding dark bikes in dark clothes with a $30 light on the front

to me the bottom line is you cannot be bright enough or well lit enough ever

the argument that the car should have seen you is foolish and will mean nothing when that 4000lbs hits you and you are paralyzed
$200 worth of extra lights/vest is totally worth it imo

and you can certainly do it cheaper than that with all the new led stuff available
reflective vests are $7 on amazon

right now my bikes are not even set up well for riding imo, they need more reflective tape, more lights

that being said every bike is running 2 higher end rear lights, 2 or 3 higher end front lights, everyone is wearing a pink or yellow reflective vest/yellow or white helmet with lights and usually a reflective belt or noxgear lighted vest
any bags are always bought with bright color/reflective stuff in mind even if I do not like the way the way they look- and I don't

my least favorite color in the world is pink, but it shows up better than yellow or orange so that is the color of my reflective vest

I am so well lit/reflective that I actually feel safer riding at night than the day

this gets me to a story from a week ago riding in california
we rode Coronado island over in San Diego - great ride if you are over that way, fun to ride the ferry with the bikes
took the bike path down the highway across the bay part and came back when it was getting dark, passed numerous joggers, skaters in dark clothes - NUTS
I was running 2400 lumens on more combined on the front of my bike/helmet and needed it every bit of it at 15mph to see these guys in the dark

then we get back to the van and start to load bikes
a man walks over and ask me where I got the colored lights we had on, had to ask which one of us lol , because I had on noxgear and my friend was wearing an led belt
he wanted info on both
pretty much every time I ride my bikes some stranger ask me about the lights or comments on how well lit my bikes are- everyone should be riding like this imo

am going to put a couple of links and comments on products
these would make great Xmas gifts

this is not rechargeable but I use rechargeable batteries in it and they seem to last a long time

$20 and is rechargeable , last super long time, also does flashing, different colors, if I am using a backpack will run this in a diagonal across the back

for some reason I cannot link to the reflective safety vest page on amazon
do a search for that and there are hundreds of hits at the $10 and below price point

only downside to yellow vest is often on the radrover people would think I was security or police I guess
being mostly deaf and not able to hear people well this was a hassle, you probably won't get this with pink and it shows up better!
even with that totally worth it for the visibility

I have bought numerous used/open package niterider and cyrgolite headlights/tailights on craigslist and ebay
out of probably 25-30 of them had 2 eventually have a battery issue and need replacing

having problems posting links all the sudden, going to post this and try to add links to it later
Good post thanks though I have one point of contention. My wife has a hi-vis pink jacket and I have hi-vis yellow jacket and I am pretty confident mine is more visible than hers.

I don’t have any scientific research that says pink shows up more

But have a friend that ride an etrike to work and back everyday, he told me that he painted the back box on the trike a few different colors and by far bright pink was the one people noticed more and gave him the most room with

Then I started watching more and saw some joggers here and there in pink and they really stood out

Yellow can blend in more with trees turning colors etc
It also tends to be one you see often with construction people etc and maybe we are more tuned out to it

Actually when Riding with a friend I tend to put one of us yellow and the other in pink to cover all the bases...

I think any bright reflective vest is better than not having one, and they are so cheap

On another topic when the lumos helmets first came out I saw a guy in tucson with one
But he was on a road bike with a backpack leaning over the bars the whole time, the helmet was useless , you could not see it at all

That is why when I wear a backpack I tend to add another light and be aware that my vest is not showing up as good Etc

Here are some other cheap things for safety

i have some similar spokelit things but they wont work on my fatter tire bikes

had these frame lights but they only lasted about a year

i like this side light, might get one of these

there seem to be more led frame light options than the last time i checked.... need to add to my amazon order lol

Had high hopes for these when they came out but the reviews have not been great

Had high hopes for these when they came out but the reviews have not been great

edit looked at the linked price. Ought to be a felony theft! $10, TOPS.
I try led stuff from China. Some of the cheap stuff is actually pretty good. Now that I learned a bit of electrinics I’m not afraid to tap into the battery leads. Self reset fuses are crazy cheap. I tore down aGrin “tap” and copied it with Amass connectors. Easy peasy.

Great link on how to do the lights off the battery

I am chicken to do the electrical stuff but really like the 4 -12 v led strips , might see if a friend can help me do that at some point

Back