Ruff eBikes enter US market

Looks a little like the Vintage line of ebikes with the same price point too. I do like the looks of Vintage better though. My Dad had an old Indian bike in the 60s and I have always liked the look.

Brought mine home last Friday. Got home after dark, and then we got a foot of snow the next day. Glad I took that first night ride. I have other ebikes for riding single trails, taking 50 mile tours, and gravel rail trails. But this one is for a sunny day when I just want to go for a cruise on the Greenway and feel like I'm turning back the clock 50 years. Also our bike co-op has a slow cruise on the first Friday of every month starting on Main Street. Perfect for that! By the way, the dealer has a brown/chrome one with leather side bags with a nice winter discount. Start a private conversation with me if you want the info.

Attachments

• Ruffian.jpg
    Ruffian.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 720
The Ruffians have been available here in the US for a couple of years now. I've sold a number of them. They're handcrafted IN Germany, including the frames are all welded by real craftsman. Its a beast from the standpoint of structural soundness, and the ride is actually surprisingly comfortable. Ruff has tried a couple prior North American distributors that just didn't work out, so with putting an office here in US, perhaps they will be marketed a bit better. The Ruffians put the Vintage to shame, and there just isn't any comparison whatsoever. You have to see them in person. No disrespect to Mr. Leno, but he chose the wrong ebike if he wanted that certain cafe racer style bike. (and sorry, but the hub drive just completely ruins the look). I also order in parts/frames from Ruff Cycles, as they offer cool extremely cool looking frames, awesome components, and then custom outfit however a client wants it as a bike or ebike. Their paint finishes and colors are stunning. (powder coatings). For that amount of money, there is just no other ebike at that price point that I'd personally spend my own money on. Its an incredible piece of craftsmanship and real artwork. A couple of my customers have some stellar bike collections, and they were all over this when they came in, and gushed more about it than virtually any other bike they have had in their collections, one of which who had been doing this for 50 years, and has several ORIGINAL Stingrays in MINT condition and others dating back into the 1800's. I'm simply amazed Ruff is selling it for this price, knowing the amount of labor and painstaking detail that went into these builds.

This Dutch builder is doing some very cool alternative/vintage/classic designs

7A143723-4A20-4663-8121-E6B618F2E61F.jpeg

http://www.timmermansfietsen.nl/

Look to be primarily BBS mid drive kit based.

IMHO the dolphin battery on the bike in the pic should be set 180d & two tubes down however. But for sure Timmerman has some style?

Brought mine home last Friday. Got home after dark, and then we got a foot of snow the next day. Glad I took that first night ride. I have other ebikes for riding single trails, taking 50 mile tours, and gravel rail trails. But this one is for a sunny day when I just want to go for a cruise on the Greenway and feel like I'm turning back the clock 50 years. Also our bike co-op has a slow cruise on the first Friday of every month starting on Main Street. Perfect for that! By the way, the dealer has a brown/chrome one with leather side bags with a nice winter discount. Start a private conversation with me if you want the info.

Looks like it is too much pedal forward and lean over stance... I wonder how comfortable it will be to ride that for 20 miles non stop...

Looks like it is too much pedal forward and lean over stance... I wonder how comfortable it will be to ride that for 20 miles non stop...

I have to agree Ravi. I don't have much experience with this category of bike but I do remember that the non-e custom one that I got to ride at an Interbike years ago built by Paragon Machine Works had bars more like this

main_2126259640_20170911051654.jpg

and was very comfy riding around the strip on. Which I think is more the purpose for this type of bike.

I wonder too, and I will have to keep wondering for a while. Lots of snow in Peoria! I ride two loops in the city, 10 miles and 20 miles. The 10 mile loop is nearly a daily jaunt. I saw a walk-a-round video of the 2019 Ruffian, and looks like they have their Indian Moon cruiser handlebar on it. As it is, I'd better start working on my abs to get rid of a little gut!

Last edited:
Cool vintage looking bikes but in reality they are more about style than ideal riding position. For the varied urban infrastructure that any serious bike commuter faces a frame geometry more like a mtn ebike is more advantageous - not that you need a full suspension if you have tires in the 2-3" width range.

That looks really cool but I bet it would be a bear to ride. Pushing a lot of air around.

I severely doubt that rig would be able to go fast enough for pushing air to be a factor. But if fully loaded I agree it would be a bear to ride on anything other than flat ground, especially if the assist is limited to the EU 250w limit, but you would get lots of looks doing so. There are lot's of other examples of single person and side car type bikes on there and all are pretty over the top but obviously the company is getting enough response to keep making stuff up!

I like to look at Ferrari's also but not from a practical standpoint either.

Well, the Ruffian is gorgeous, with a real early 1900's motorcycle/motorbike look. But the photo of the Fiat ebike got me to thinking of another experiment between car & bike; designed, built and ridden in real traffic a few years ago.....

Hope this doesn't derail the thread but I sure hope it brings a good laugh to one and all.... :)

Another board tracker. 5000w peak and 36mph that would be on track use only!

View attachment 29991

http://www.avionics.bike/index.php/gallery/

They do list street modes. I like the way they use the top bar as a type of leaf spring.

In reality just another Crowd Funding disaster. With shipping originally promised in Spring 2018 and now saying Spring 2019. Avionics is stating the bike will be made and shipped at 10 units per month. So this means some customers will be waiting at least 2 more years to receive theirs. At $9,000 US it seems there are a lot of unhappy backers by reading the comments on the Indiegogo site.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/avionics-v1-the-most-uncompromising-ebike-ever#/comments

Back