Rolloff competition??

T
I just had the Sram X01 AXS upgrade kit installed on a new Trek Allant 9.9s. The bike's drive train is Shimano xt8100 12 speed. It is seamlessly compatible with the Shimano XT CS-M8100 12-speed MTB 10-51T,Micro Spline .

View attachment 48127
Alaskan-Great! Thanks for pointing that out. I was mis-informed by a bike tech that you can only use the AXS system with SRAM products. I have the Shimano Deore XT, and they stated that the upgrade kit could not be used. More points to ponder. Perhaps there may be a workaround?

Alaskan-Great! Thanks for pointing that out. I was mis-informed by a bike tech that you can only use the AXS system with SRAM products. I have the Shimano Deore XT, and they stated that the upgrade kit could not be used. More points to ponder. Perhaps there may be a workaround?
Bob, the Deore XT is an 11 speed, is it not? The Sram AXS sytem is for 12 speed cassettes. I believe you can upgrade the XT with the DI2 - wired electronic system by Shimano.

Cycle Monkey is the worst vendor experience I’ve ever had. It is a shame that they are the go-to for German companies like Rohloff, Tout Terrain and indirectly, R&M, for USA service.

FWIW, I’ve been told that Peter White is receiving training for Rohloff service.
I agree with you and Alaskan, Cycle Monkey is the weak link for Rohloff in the USA. I had a hub with a freewheeling issue it was sent to Cycle Monkey and returned with an oil leak problem. R&M needs to rethink how this hub is serviced in the USA.

It is unfortunate that Cycle Monkey has been the go to service center for Rohloff. Cycle Monkey has terrible communication, dreadfully slow service , sends fixed gears back with new problems, and ignores customer's phone calls & emails. Rohloff and Riese & Muller are in serious danger of damaging their brands if they do not find another way to get prompt, professional service on their hubs. This is something that has needed serious attention for quite some time. That it seems to be coming to a head in the era of Covid 19 is indeed unfortunate. This is what happens when you let problems go unaddressed. They come to a head at the worst possible time.

Has Cycle Monkey’s ineptitude been brought to the attention of the manufacturers?

Has Cycle Monkey’s ineptitude been brought to the attention of the manufacturers?
So, the three users who have commented on this own 2019 R&Ms. 2019 - but these hubs are marketed as “maintenance-free” and “bombproof.” The communication issue here is that the manufacturers, Rohloff (hub) and Riese&Muller (bike) send you back to the dealer. R&M in particular is end-user adverse. This policy might be ok if problems get resolved in a timely fashion, but my observation is that the dealer is merely a facilitator between many parties. So if one component, like Cycle Monkey, is MIA, the process grinds to a halt with no information or end in sight.

it’s not just Rohloff hubs, when it comes to CM. if You need any support, just forget about it.

My hub has leaked (substantially) for five months. It started after an oil change not performed by me. Now with the Corona situation, it’s clear that a substantial portion of my warranty period will get be with this horrible leaking. The decision by German manufacturers like R&M, Rohloff and Tout Terrain to minimally support the US market is penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Last edited:
When it comes to Rohloff hubs, it is obvious that the part isn't really designed to be repairable, and I suspect part of the problem is that trying to repair such a part isn't likely to succeed.

I know several people who have used Rohloffs for literally hundreds of thousands of miles without any trouble at all. The fact that I hear so many accounts of failures and/or problems on his forum leads me to suspect one of two things: (1) there is some kind of design flaw, either in the hub itself or in how R&M integrates it into the bike, or (2) e-bikes push some tolerances in the part to or past their limits. I lack the skill and experience to know which, if either, is true.

All I know is my 2017 Charger GX Rohloff is still going strong. But I am replacing chains about every 1200 miles.

When it comes to Rohloff hubs, it is obvious that the part isn't really designed to be repairable, and I suspect part of the problem is that trying to repair such a part isn't likely to succeed.

I know several people who have used Rohloffs for literally hundreds of thousands of miles without any trouble at all. The fact that I hear so many accounts of failures and/or problems on his forum leads me to suspect one of two things: (1) there is some kind of design flaw, either in the hub itself or in how R&M integrates it into the bike, or (2) e-bikes push some tolerances in the part to or past their limits. I lack the skill and experience to know which, if either, is true.

All I know is my 2017 Charger GX Rohloff is still going strong. But I am replacing chains about every 1200 miles.
100% agree and the same thoughts have crossed my mind. We are all E14 while you are not, which might be related, who knows?

It could been something as simple as a batch of sub par seals got into a series of hubs. Whatever it is, Rohloff has failed to boost their service capability adequately to meet the increased unit sales through R&M, Wattwagon, Tout, etc.

Hopefully they will wake up soon to the fact that they have a problem with service in North America.

I just got an email from Hector at LA Fly Rides who has been working hard to get Rohloff and R&M involved. It appears that the Fly Rides efforts are paying off and Rohloff has finally started to pay attention. They assure my hub will be repaired and shipped within a few days. We will see. Stay tuned.

Bob, the Deore XT is an 11 speed, is it not? The Sram AXS sytem is for 12 speed cassettes. I believe you can upgrade the XT with the DI2 - wired electronic system by Shimano.
Okay. I was told that the Shimano system has some bugs that need to be worked out and to avoid it if at all possible. I am also a big fan of the battery setup in the AXS system opposed to the Di2. Thanks for the heads up.

I believe the Di2 can be powered off a Shimano drivetrain battery. The SRAM AXS has its own batteries. That can be good or bad depending...

I believe the Di2 can be powered off a Shimano drivetrain battery. The SRAM AXS has its own batteries. That can be good or bad depending...
Yes, one of the members here did that on their Motobecane eBoost with the E8000. Certainly a great addition/upgrade to any E-bike with a Shimano motor system with minimal parts to complete the install to Di2.

Regarding the Kindernay, they mention the hydraulic shifting mechanism is part of the reason they can shift under load. If this is one of the things stopping the Rohloff being able to shift under load then it is due to the cable arrangement and force needed.
So electronic shifting for the Kindernay would be difficult to design, you would have to integrate with the motor to cut power whilst shifting which is not a very generic thing as Rohloff's is not very generic, eg. it only works with Bosch.
Or a completely different design that somehow has the brute force electrically/hydraulically to do shift's under load.

What got my attention is the max 150 NM verses the much less for the Rohloff.
Seem like it's more for the newer more powerful Ebike motors that exist and are being developed.

Even though, with the application of enough force, it might be possible so shift gears in an internally geared hub, I doubt it would be healthy for the long term health and durability of the gear box. Forcing positively engaged gears to let go and move to another position, sounds like a recipe for metal parts to quickly wear.

The Rohloff E14 has a programmed 160 millisecond pause in motor power during shifting. However if the rider does not also momentarily ease up on the pedals at the time of the shift, it can be quite abrupt and rough. That momentary pause makes all the difference between smooth and quiet versus rough and noisy. I have never found rough and noisy to be good for any gearing system.

I don't know much about the Rohloff system because they seem to be on bikes out of my price range. But I was looking at the Evelo Aurora Limited using a mid drive with the Nivinci and a Gates belt drive. I need help understanding if that is an alternative or is that a completely different kind of seup. Just trying to educate myself so thanks for any comments that would help.

I don't know much about the Rohloff system because they seem to be on bikes out of my price range. But I was looking at the Evelo Aurora Limited using a mid drive with the Nivinci and a Gates belt drive. I need help understanding if that is an alternative or is that a completely different kind of seup. Just trying to educate myself so thanks for any comments that would help.
I have owned a bike with the Nuvinci and a belt and loved it...up to a point. It was great in town especially, so easy to shift and find just the right ratio for the conditions especially when accelerating from the frequent stops at signs and lights. Where it did not quite measure up was on really steep hills, on one of which we happen to live and also for faster riding. It just lacked the gear range and efficiency of the Rohloff. If you do mostly in town riding and/or live in a relatively flat part of the world and are not a particularly fast rider, the Nuvinci might be just right for you though. It sure is a trouble free and clean drive train with a very intuitive interface.

Back