rohloff e14 and rear wheel removal

DocHondo

I need help in finding information about removing my rear wheel. My bike is a R&M superdelite with the E14 rohloff speed hub. The bike has disc breaks and a gates carbon belt.
I want to be prepared when out on the trail to fix a flat in my rear wheel. Getting this wheel off and on again appears to be complicated. The rohloff web site does not show this information. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Executive summary

1. Shift into first gear. You can fix this later but please just shift into first gear.
  2. Unscrew the little nub (usually you can do it with your fingers) holding the shift cables onto the hub
  3. Undo the skewer and drop out the wheel

The video is of a traditional mechanical Rohloff, not the E-14.

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies, that procedure only works for the vanilla Rohloff.

It is not complicated at all.

Just unplug the e-14. There is a cable that emerges from the front end of the E14 Mech. It is about 4 inches long and ends in a rubber covered plug with a two wire junction. Hold both ends at the plug (not by the cable itself) and do a steady pull apart. It takes a bit of effort so be careful not to jerk it and yank on the cable when it pops open.

There is a little slot and tab in the two sides of the cable junction. Be sure to align them when you put the cable back together. You will get an error message on your display if you forget to reattach the cable. Yeah, I have done that twice ;)

To remove the wheel, holding on the the rim and tire at the top, back the spindle our till it is ready to drop. Let it down till it is just below the dropout. It will have an inch or so of forward play in that position which is enough to pry the belt, against the idler tension, off the rear sprocket. Going back on put the belt on the sprocket and carefully lift it into place, pulling back against the idler tension and making sure the brake rotor goes between the pads in the caliper. Holding the wheel firmly up against the dropouts on both sides, tighten up the spindle.

It is not complicated at all.

Just unplug the e-14. There is a cable that emerges from the front end of the E14 Mech. It is about 4 inches long and ends in a rubber covered plug with a two wire junction. Hold both ends at the plug (not by the cable itself) and do a steady pull apart. It takes a bit of effort so be careful not to jerk it and yank on the cable when it pops open.

There is a little slot and tab in the two sides of the cable junction. Be sure to align them when you put the cable back together. You will get an error message on your display if you forget to reattach the cable. Yeah, I have done that twice ;)

To remove the wheel, holding on the the rim and tire at the top, back the spindle our till it is ready to drop. Let it down till it is just below the dropout. It will have an inch or so of forward play in that position which is enough to pry the belt, against the idler tension, off the rear sprocket. Going back on put the belt on the sprocket and carefully lift it into place, pulling back against the idler tension and making sure the brake rotor goes between the pads in the caliper. Holding the wheel firmly up against the dropouts on both sides, tighten up the spindle.
Thank you very much for that information. I will attempt to do this before I go out on my next ride so that I am prepared if a flat occurs.

Hello Alaskan. I followed your instructions and was able to get the rear wheel off and on again. The only problem was the carbon belt. There is very little if any slack in the belt to remove it without prying it off with a screw driver. Has this been your experience as well or did I miss something in the instructions? Thanks for your help with this. DocHondo

You have to hold the wheel at the back of the rim with your left hand and pull the belt pretty hard against the idler pulley spring, toward the back of the bike with your thumb and two or three fingers of the right hand and peel the belt off the rear cog, starting near the top of the cog and moving toward the back of it, lifting the center slot of the belt over the ridge between the two sides of the pulley. Same thing going back on. Sorry that I neglected that part of the instructions. If you don't keep it just below the drop outs it actually gets harder to do if it goes down any further.

Thanks again Alaskan. I appreciate the clarification. Hopefully it will be awhile before I need to try this again. But eventually I will get the flat tire and will need to know this technique.

Another hint I read was to let all the air out of your tire--this would seem to give more play easing the process. I'm going to try this tomorrow. Do you have to do anything to the brakes, or just carefully slip it out of the rotor?

Another hint I read was to let all the air out of your tire--this would seem to give more play easing the process. I'm going to try this tomorrow. Do you have to do anything to the brakes, or just carefully slip it out of the rotor?
You just slide the rotor out from between the brake pads. Be sure to avoid squeezing the brake lever unless you put a spacer between the pads.

Back