Rode up on homeless person sleeping on bike trail.

What right do YOU have to call these people "bums" DO YOU KNOW their situation, have YOU ever been homeless ?
My mother's father had to drop school age 11 and start digging coal, to keep the house the mine provided them. His father died in an "accident" on the tipple (processing plant). He had been making A's. He bought land age 23 and built a house out of used lumber from abandoned mine camps for his mother. My grandmother lived there until age 88 though health problems terminated my grandfather age 42.
My father's family moved so often my father often could not find his way home from school. Probably skipping rent payments & being evicted. Grandfather lost his good railroad job when his crew leader lost track of time and got their man car run over by a train. My grandfather got his accounting credentials (IRS enrolled agent) from International correspondence school that advertised in dime novels and comics. My father finished high school, did his Army service, did not start me until age 32. Age 38 he bought a house that we lived in the rest of my school years. I knew exactly how to get home after school.
I took all the education the school district would give me. I worked my *** off, 3-4 hours homework a night. I worked summers after age 16, saved, paid cash for my college education. I've never earned even the median salary, but saved enough I now pay taxes on 24 acres, 2 houses & a decrepit trailer. This is not a high cost high tax location, my choice.
There plenty of *****y jobs in landscaping, roofing, crop picking, drywall installation, meat packing, medical or factory cleaner, that nobody wants but illegal immigrants. Barring injury, birth defect, health disasters, or mental limitations, homelessness is a choice. I support a party that wants wider health insurance for low wage workers and improved mental health care.

Last edited:
My mother's father had to drop school age 11 and start digging coal, to keep the house the mine provided them. His father died in an "accident" on the tipple (processing plant). He had been making A's. He bought land age 23 and built a house out of used lumber from abandoned mine camps for his mother. My grandmother lived there until age 88.
My father's family moved so often my father often could not find his way home from school. Probably skipping rent payments & being evicted. My father did not start me until age 32, then bought a house when I was 6 that we lived in the rest of my school years.
I took all the education the school district would give me. Worked my *** off. I worked summers after age 16, saved, paid cash for my college education. I've never earned even the median salary, but saved enough I now pay taxes on 24 acres, 2 houses & a decrepit trailer. There plenty of *****y jobs in landscaping, roofing, crop picking, drywall installation, meat packing, medical or factory cleaner, that nobody wants but illegal immigrants. My grandfather got his accounting credentials (IRS enrolled agent) from the correspondence school that advertised in dime novels and comics. Barring accidents, health disasters, or mental health limitations, homelessness is a choice. I support a party that wants wider health insurance for low wage workers and improved mental health care.

I commute in NYC, regularly take the subway with my folding bike.
Most days, I see at least a handful of homeless folds sleeping on the subway train.
I've lived on the streets, eaten from garbage cans in my youth.
Being thirsty, hungry, homeless, loud or suffering from mental health crisis is not a crime.
I don't give money, I usually have a snack in my backpack.. small bag of chips, cookies, candy bar.. they are simple ice-breakers to de-escalate situations.

I commute in NYC, regularly take the subway with my folding bike.
Most days, I see at least a handful of homeless folds sleeping on the subway train.
I've lived on the streets, eaten from garbage cans in my youth.
Being thirsty, hungry, homeless, loud or suffering from mental health crisis is not a crime.
I don't give money, I usually have a snack in my backpack.. small bag of chips, cookies, candy bar.. they are simple ice-breakers to de-escalate situations.

I still hand out front and rear lights for people on bicycles that don't have any. I also pack some extra cold bottled waters on really hot days and hand them out to people walking in open places. Never thought of snacks.

Bums don't wanna work. They let drugs and/or booze make all their poor choices in life. I know not to let drugs and/or booze control my life.

Homeless people have an unfortunate event happen and they try to get out of the situation. If they succumb to using drugs and/or booze then they become bums.

Yes, I'm aware this sounds harsh and there is a fine line when someone can be helped AND want the help. We have this guy who stands on the corner everyday panhandling (they call it flying a kite) and if he can stand all day walking up and down the median strip they he can stand at a McDonalds for 8 hours a day and earn a honest living. What really gets me is we had this young, healthy looking kid holding a sign (flying a kite) at the intersection. On the back of the sign it said "Now hiring-roofers" with the company number. I told him to flip the sign over and read the back. He told me to F-off. He is a bum.
Bum=someone with mental/physical/life circumstance or any other condition that you can be very thankful that you don't suffer from!

I first off have a story that you can't possibly imagine:

Some years back during an ugly rainy evening in North Seattle, I saw a lady and a young girl (probably about 8 to 10) with a sign at the entrance of a Home Depot. I saw them and waved and then went to the Burger King a bit past them, went through the drive through and bought five Whoppers with Cheese and four bottled waters for them. Went back and handed the gift to them. The kid grabbed them but before she could even get started the lady knocked them out of her hands and into the rainy gutter and began beating the tar out of the little girl. Then the lady pulled out what looked like a tire iron and started towards me. I skedaddled.

Now in India begging is institutionalized and they routinely blind and maim children so they can be more lucrative beggars.

After all of that I don't directly give to people on the streets. Makes more sense to donate to organizations that help them. Or at least try to help them.

Providing mental health treatments, substance abuse treatments, job training, and adequate housing for homeless people is going to be enormously expensive. On a par with sending them on a summer vacation to Italy. And probably about as politically popular. So my own guess is that we're going to continue to make cheesy and inadequate partial efforts until we lose patience or collectively freak out and then we'll do something horrid.

Also, in most jurisdictions and most situations you can't force people to get mental health treatments. A lot of these people are going to refuse and insist on their right to sleep on sidewalks and poop in doorways. So what then?

Had a scruffy looking person approach me in Walmart parking lot and asked for a few dollars (20 years or so ago) to get lunch at McDonald's. I opened cooler and offered him a sandwich. He flipped me off and walked away.

I have little experience with the unfortunate people that seem to exist in all the metros, except if I'm traveling. I was in the San Francisco area for a few weeks and always carried some small bills for the beggars, but one morning I found myself accosted by someone later in the day, and had to tell him that his peers had already wiped me out and i had no money left. He directed me to an ATM in a joking manner ... It’s a way of life, I guess.

I have little experience with the unfortunate people that seem to exist in all the metros, except if I'm traveling. I was in the San Francisco area for a few weeks and always carried some small bills for the beggars, but one morning I found myself accosted by someone later in the day, and had to tell him that his peers had already wiped me out and i had no money left. He directed me to an ATM in a joking manner ... It’s a way of life, I guess.
My wife had a lady approach her at the local gas station asking for money. My wife told her she didn't carry cash and the lady pointed out the ATM machine that was outside the gas station pay window. My wife just drove off without giving the lady anything.

My wife had a lady approach her at the local gas station asking for money. My wife told her she didn't carry cash and the lady pointed out the ATM machine that was outside the gas station pay window. My wife just drove off without giving the lady anything.
I had someone at a gas station ask me for $ to fill their gas can so they could get home. I asked where their gas can was; he ran across the street to his (someone's) car and got a gas can out of the trunk. I filled the gas can. Afterward I hoped he didn't torch something with the gasoline.

I have a non-blood related nephew that does this scam. He carries a well used 2 gallon gas can and ask if you have some money so he can get gas for his car that ran out of gas because the dash doesn't work and he lost his wallet etc. etc. You assume he has a car sitting on the side of the road so you give him $5 for gas. He obviously hits you up anyplace but a gas station. He doesn't even own a car! He's trying to get drug money to pay the dope man. I've heard a rumor that once he tried this at a actual gas station and someone filled up his little can while filling up their car. No cash, actual fuel. So what happened next you ask? He dumped the gas in a field because it was to heavy to lug around! He's still a drug bum last I heard.

Now for a positive gas station story. I slipped out of work to check my P.O. Box and gas up my motor scooter one evening. As I pulled up to the gas pump this lady comes over and asked if I knew how to use a gas can. Say what? She said she ran out of gas and got a gallon of gas but couldn't operate the gas can. I saw her car off on the side street pulling in to the station so I walked over with her to see the gas can. It was one of those crazy complicated new style ones with the green safety lever. It took me awhile to figure it out! She had a older dog snoozing in the back seat and it barked at me when it woke up. She was driving a older Camry car and she looked a bit distressed but in good spirits. No story just a hard to use gas can. After putting the gallon of gas in the car and made sure it started I told her to pull over to the pump I was at and I filled the tank for her. She started to well-up a bit but I told her it was fine because I have a moped and I have to pay the fuel tax once in awhile. I told her just to pay it forward when she felt it was the right thing to do and went on my way. Best part was I forgot to fill MY moped! I got gas that night on the way home.

I do extend courtesy, and sometimes a donation, to people down on their luck, as I realize that but for the grace of God it could be me. I also donate to local food banks and a particular shelter organization. However, when they’re obviously using drugs, I don’t believe a handout or allowing them to live on the streets is doing them a favor. What we need is better mental health and drug abuse services. I’ll gladly pay my share via taxes if local government would put together a sensible program. Unfortunately, most government programs are poorly designed and are examples of waste on a grand scale. I’ll admit though, I don’t have the answers as to how to make it work, at least not affordably.
as usual govt agencies get bloated with personnel that seem to do little while the formerly public places go down the tubes,do not get me started on the public"fraternities".

A person lying across the bike trail is the modern portable speed bump. Cities all across the US are importing these new speed bumps. A few of them actually work! ;)

Back