Rock Razor vs Moto X tires

Hi! after last difficult experience grip on a wet forest trail, yesterday, and after a long thinking, i will definitively take off Super Moto X 62-584 and opt for this winter config:

FRONT
Rocket Ron (Addix Speedgrip, blue)
evolution line 57-584 (27.5 x 2.25, 650B) SnakeSkin, TLE, E-25
1542294338406.png
1542294677459.png

REAR
Racing Ralph 2019 (Addix Speed, red)
1542294306775.png
1542294761430.png

My Riese & Muller Homage Rohloff HS came with Schwalbe Big Ben 28x2 tires. I am replacing them today with a better winter tire, Marathon Mondial This tire will provide very good road grip and not make so much noise as a knobby mountain bike tire.

FireShot Pro Screen Capture #060 - 'Marathon Mondial - Schwalbe Professional Bike Tires' - www...jpg

Where I live is basically at the foot of a rain forest. I have 3 models of Schwalbes (on 3 different bikes) ...Smart Sam plus , Mondial Marathon plus, and Moto X. I like all of them a lot ,but I can say for sure that on the wet trails the Smart sams are the most sure footed and the Moto X are less so . I fell off the bike with Moto X last week while trying to do something I believe I could have done on the bike with the Smart sams. This is not very scientific ( the bike with Sams handles the best ), but now I dont trust these Moto X in the wet. If I lived in a drier place I would be more than happy with the Moto x but the Smart Sams have never let me down. The Marathon mondials are on my weakest handling bike and they changed it from a pig into a race horse . Those also handle wet stuff very well

Last edited:
Hi! after last difficult experience grip on a wet forest trail, yesterday, and after a long thinking, i will definitively take off Super Moto X 62-584 and opt for this winter config:

FRONT
Rocket Ron (Addix Speedgrip, blue)
View attachment 27270
View attachment 27271

REAR
Racing Ralph 2019 (Addix Speed, red)
View attachment 27269
View attachment 27272
Yeah I like the look of those !

My Riese & Muller Homage Rohloff HS came with Schwalbe Big Ben 28x2 tires. I am replacing them today with a better winter tire, Marathon Mondial This tire will provide very good road grip and not make so much noise as a knobby mountain bike tire.

View attachment 27275
Hi, curious as to what rims/rim width you have and how they go. I had a Mondial on the front of my Supercharger and i thought it was great but i have Alex MD40 rims (40mm) and i was concerned about them on the back with 116kg (256 lb) of weight (me + bike) going around corners sitting down. As i still have plenty of tread on the Mondial (sitting in storage) was thinking or replacing my MotoX with it on the rear.

Hi, curious as to what rims/rim width you have and how they go. I had a Mondial on the front of my Supercharger and i thought it was great but i have Alex MD40 rims (40mm) and i was concerned about them on the back with 116kg (256 lb) of weight (me + bike) going around corners sitting down. As i still have plenty of tread on the Mondial (sitting in storage) was thinking or replacing my MotoX with it on the rear.
what is the width of your mondials?

I like the Smart Sams that have been on my pedal power Norco Charger 29er for 4 years ( no flats) and am looking forward to getting a pair of them on my R+M, but now that I have 500 miles on the Moto X I am comfortable with them and will leave them on until they wear out.

Last edited:
My Nevo is at the bike store for the first service. Discussed the tires again with them, they are big fans of the Smart Sam (folding tire with doubledefense for protection) for a mixed road/offroad usage. They will order them for me.

Not sure if I can still test them this year, as it is already quite cold.

http://www.mach1.fr/en/rims/650-153 28" 23mm inner width

Smart Sams 65-584 are now installed, did a quick test on the road and found them not loud.

Off road test will follow, right now it is raining every day and quite cold.

Attachments

• 380DB1DA-E1DF-4092-98A2-D5127C08C2D8.jpeg
    380DB1DA-E1DF-4092-98A2-D5127C08C2D8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 666
Finally new tires also for me! Racing Ray and Racing Ralph are cross country tires.
At the end I gave up the front Rocket Ron in favor of this fantastic Racing Ray, after having had the opportunity to compare them live I realized that Racing Ray's teeth are (in my opinion) more than enough. Rocket Ron would have given me more grip on the mud and soft, but I would have lost some rolling on paved roads, which remains an important part of my journeys.
For the rear, as I had already anticipated, I combined the new Racing Ralph. I have had the opportunity to do only thirty kilometers, mainly on paved road, so I will have to wait before posting an opinion that has a logical sense.

After bike shop's owner insistence I have not fitted new tires tubeless, using a tubeless ready rim's conversion kit, but I inserted the inner tube in a product called speedymousse, that allows avoiding 95% tires drilling. This mousse is an expensive product (I paid € 189 for both wheels!!) that comes from motorcycling sports but should give the feeling and the benefits of a tubeless driving, greatly raising the protection of Racing (Ralph and Ray) to other tires level, much more protected. Obviously weight also rises (the mousse weighs about 250 grams per wheel), but considering that Super Moto X weighed twice the new Schwalbes I mounted, I do not feel any driving difference. Moreover, when I want to replace these tires, I can use the same speedymousse on any new tires (as long as they are 27.5 "), because they are reusable. You can also use lower pression on tires, without risks, using this mousse.
speedymousse.jpg

For now I can say that these tires are absolutely silent, practically little more louder than Super Moto X, but believe me when I say there's almost no difference. Considering the less protruding studs I can suppose they are quiter also than Smart Sam and Rocket Razor, which represented other possible choices for my rear rim.

During short stretches of rough terrain I could take pleasure of the front Racing Ray while descending a staircase of an isolated church, made of pebbles, roots and grass. Holding that much more security. Of the rear Racing Ralph I can say that, just leaving my home has crushed a dinosaur size s*it, but it has not slipped! :):):) someone says s*it bring good luck...but as soon as I got home I wash the bike! Reading datas reported on Schwalbe's website I was afraid Racing Ralph has less grip on the paved roads or wet but, for now, it does not seem absolutely.

Rolling seems excellent for both tires, I have not noticed excessive speed decrease compared to the previous Super Moto X, but we are talking about sensations and not certainties.

Another thing, certainly less important, is that aesthetically I like them more. With the Super Moto X, R&M SuperCharger looked more like a motorbike than a bicycle. Now it's back to being a bike with nice aggressive wheels, whose shapes remain within the line of mudguards without more overflowing.

Moving from a 2.40 " balloon tire to a 2.25"'s one, you lose some bouncing properties on the rear but it's not too evident.
Furthermore, when washing the bike, it is easier to pass a brush between tires and mudguards.

I feel satisfied, after these first impressions, but I will be more sure of all this only in a hundred kilometers.

DSC_1447.jpgDSC_1448.jpgDSC_1433.jpgDSC_1434.jpgDSC_1431.jpgDSC_1437.jpgDSC_1444.jpgDSC_1442.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fantastic. Am I correct in thinking that this is not really "flat proofing" so much as something that will allow you to get a puncture and keep riding till you get to a shop or home without damaging the tire & rim?

Very nice and I love that ebike !!!!

Smart Sam makes your Nevo really aggressive! We use our bikes on similar roads: forrest with stones, roots, etc....please let us know how your riding changes with Smart Sams!

Bike looks greatDadanka ! Let us know if you ever get a flat, because you paid top dollar for that speedymouse flatproofing.

Yes Steve, i was not happy about price. I hope they work well and of course i will keep you updated ;)

Looks fantastic. Am I correct in thinking that this is not really "flat proofing" so much as something that will allow you to get a puncture and keep riding till you get to a shop or home without damaging the tire & rim?

Hi Alaskan! :)
they sold it like a 95% flat protection system too: Speedy Mousse Kit 27.5
translation: "Speedy Mousse increases performance and some MTB features. In particular, it allows a better absorption on bumpy roads, a good elastic response on the wheel and increases reactivity, grip and the pleasure of not "stalling". Speedy Mousse can be installed with a classic inner tube (not reduced) or with a tubeless latex: normal inflation and then go down to a maximum of -0.3 bar (-0.5 bar for a tire with reinforced shoulders). Andreani's Speedy Mousse kit is made up of semi-mousse front and back, is in fact created to give more performance to the tire without going to distort its technical characteristics and can be seen as a true anti-flat system (95% safety). Recommended for All-Mountain, Gravity and eBike use, it has a guaranteed life of at least 2,000 hours and is available in Kit 27.5 - Kit 27.5 Plus - Kit 29 ER."

They have competitors (Smart Mousse - Mr. Wolf) with a similar product sold as a 100% flat protection with 12-month insurance cover on punctures, included in the purchase price! They use a little tube instead of standard inner tube.

Last edited:
Smart Sam makes your Nevo really aggressive! We use our bikes on similar roads: forrest with stones, roots, etc....please let us know how your riding changes with Smart Sams!

I will keep you posted, but I fear I will not ride the bike offroad before next year. I am living in an average mountain range in Germany and at the moment it is raining or snowing every day. It is dark outside when I go to work and on my return.

So the maximum I do is riding on tarmac on the weekends, if at all. It is the time for the winter fitness routine - indoor rowing and kettlebells...

Back