Rize Showroom - Rize City

slee

I visited the Rize showroom in Richmond, BC yesterday. Very convenient for me as I also live in Richmond. My sales rep, Greg, was very friendly and helpful. I test rode the City model, which I had already pre-ordered prior to the test ride. The bike did not disappoint. I found it very comfortable and responsive. I am now very excited and can hardly wait for the delivery of my bike in a couple of weeks!

Rize had just moved to this new location, which apparently is much more spacious than their previous location. He mentioned that they will be able to keep more bikes in stock so people who come in to the showroom, can walk out with a new bike. That also means shipping will be faster for those that are not local.

I'll post more about the bike once I've received it and had a chance to take a few rides on it.

I would also like to hear from "slee" about his experience with his Rize City. I received mine a week ago and have thoroughly enjoyed a few rides of about 55 kilometers in total (I have not been a regular bike rider, and this is my first e-bike, so am taking it easy, since I am a senior!). Assembling the bike was pretty simple, although I found that it was easier to use my own tools, rather than the multi-tool that Rize included. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that the bike came with quick releases for the front wheel and seat post - I don't believe this was mentioned in the description of the City bike on the Rize site. I did have to tighten the seat post after a few rides because the seat post had worked its way to the bottom ( I'me not a big guy at 5'6" and had not noticed during my ride). I also moved the controller on the left side of the handlebar a bit more to the right, since I found that my thumb would sometimes brush against the PAS up and down pads and change the settings when using the throttle.
I have been doing a fair bit of reading about e-bikes in general and battery charging in particular on the EBR forums and other online sites and have reached the following conclusions - I would welcome any comments, additions or corrections:

1. If you want to maximize the distance travelled or are suffering from "distance anxiety", and don't want to pedal a bit harder, then charge the battery to 100% of capacity after every ride. No harm will come to the battery in doing this, but the downside is that it will reduce the number of charging cycles available during the lifetime of the battery.
2. If you are more concerned with maximizing the number of battery charging cycles over its lifetime, then only charge it to about 80% - about 51.5 volts for a 48 volt battery, and try not to let the charge fall below 20% or so.
3. Fully charge the battery at least a few time during the cycling season to balance the cells.
4. Let the battery cool off for about a half hour before starting to charge it.
3. Batteries do not appreciate extremes in temperature, particulary if it is in a hot environment.
4. If you are attempting to charge the battery to 100% you may have to charge it longer than the advertised charge time to reach full capacity. For example, after a 30 kilometer ride yesterday my 48 volt 13 ah battery was down to about 50% and showing 46.8 volts on my multimeter. It took about 3.5 hours to reach 100% (54.3 volts), at which point the 3 amp Rize charger green light came on and the fan stopped working.
5. Try not to leave the battery at a 100% charge for longer than a few days and give it a 50-70% charge if storing for an extended period - you may have to top the battery up a few times during that storage period to maintain a 50-70% charge.

Since I am a retired senior rider, using the bike for recreation only and not really interested in marathon rides, I will probably go with point number 2 above for battery charging.
The "E-bike Battery Guide" section in the EBR general forums provides a lot of great info if you want to 'get into the weeds' on this subject.

BTW my experience with communicating with the Rize staff has been very positive, with answers to my emailed questions within a day or two and quick phone pickup or response to messages.

Good info Scotsman...I'm new to powered bikes and I am awaiting my Ride City in the near future. Apparently November shipments may be extended into early/mid December. Weather in Ontario may limit the use of our new toys (my wife and I) but I'm excited none the less. Are there any "heads-up" thoughts you have found that may be specific to the City model? I included suspension seat post for my bike....any chance you may have included one for your ride? Just looking for some insight. Thanks

Hey Bogeydog...I did not get the suspension seat past, although the 2.1 inch tires do provide some cushioning when going over curbs etc. When you are assembling the bike, be careful with inserting/tightening the large bolt in the handlebar stem - I think that I came close to cross-threading it. The only surprises have been the distance travelled (15-20 km) with a full battery charge before the charge level starts to go below 100%; and getting used to the different balance and turning characteristics of the bike from a normal one due to the extra weight and its distribution and the push of the motor. So far, I am happy with my Rize City bike, although now it's in the basement waiting for spring, because winter has arrived in Ontario!

Hey Scotsman...I will heed your advice when attaching the handlebars on the new bikes, thank you. I added the 17AH Battery, Hydraulic brakes and Torque sensor option for the bikes. I could see some peace of mind having a little more battery power and the advantage of reliable brakes when you really need them...being new to power assisted bikes, I'm not sure how much an advantage the torque sensor over cadence sensor will be on a rear hub motor bike. Checking this on line seems that torque sensors are more popular on bikes with mid drive motors but rarely on rear hub bikes. We'll have to see. I too am in Ontario so I'll probably have a wait till I can give the new bike a real test. Although on the bright side... the snow has all but disappeared here in Newmarket and I'm playing golf this afternoon.

Unfortunately, golf is over for the season here. I meant to say be careful about bolting the handlebar stem into the front fork - it's hard to see where the bolt screws in there because its fairly deep in the stem.

Just got word from Daniel at Rize Bikes confirming the shipping of our City bikes next week...very exciting. They should arrive just in time for the snowy weather. Oh well, I'll just have to test them out in the living room till the snow melts. Don't tell my wife.
Time to read up on unboxing and assembly details.

The two City bikes we ordered are now on their way to Ontario. ETA is a surprising Friday Dec 11th.
Safe journey you two.

Glad to say that our two City bikes arrived, have been assembled and aside from a quick run up the road and back, are anxiously waiting a more rigorous workout...just waiting for a break in the weather.
I have worked my way through the owners manual to the advanced setting. I am curious to hear what others have experienced and what changes have been found as advantageous. I'm thinking of lowering the motor response setting and lowering the power assist level option to a lower level.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Glad to say that our two City bikes arrived, have been assembled and aside from a quick run up the road and back, are anxiously waiting a more rigorous workout...just waiting for a break in the weather.
I have worked my way through the owners manual to the advanced setting. I am curious to hear what others have experienced and what changes have been found as advantageous. I'm thinking of lowering the motor response setting and lowering the power assist level option to a lower level.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I'm not familiar with the controller options on those bikes, but I would encourage anyone interested to try setting the bike up THEIR way! Just make a note of what you changed, and what it was originally. Those 2 pieces of info can save you a lot of time if something goes south on you...

I visited the Rize showroom in Richmond, BC yesterday. Very convenient for me as I also live in Richmond. My sales rep, Greg, was very friendly and helpful. I test rode the City model, which I had already pre-ordered prior to the test ride. The bike did not disappoint. I found it very comfortable and responsive. I am now very excited and can hardly wait for the delivery of my bike in a couple of weeks!

Rize had just moved to this new location, which apparently is much more spacious than their previous location. He mentioned that they will be able to keep more bikes in stock so people who come in to the showroom, can walk out with a new bike. That also means shipping will be faster for those that are not local.

I'll post more about the bike once I've received it and had a chance to take a few rides on it.
I went to their old show room ,not real a show room ,office with bikes inside lol
No way I'd buy wo test drive ,took the x for a ride ,when I got back I said I will take it and took it home 😋 I was lucky as they were having a fire sale on spark branded bikes to start rize bike brand so I got 500 off the price and I got them to throw in the nice rack bag that was on it for free 😋
So happy with it
Cheers

I would also like to hear from "slee" about his experience with his Rize City. I received mine a week ago and have thoroughly enjoyed a few rides of about 55 kilometers in total (I have not been a regular bike rider, and this is my first e-bike, so am taking it easy, since I am a senior!). Assembling the bike was pretty simple, although I found that it was easier to use my own tools, rather than the multi-tool that Rize included. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that the bike came with quick releases for the front wheel and seat post - I don't believe this was mentioned in the description of the City bike on the Rize site. I did have to tighten the seat post after a few rides because the seat post had worked its way to the bottom ( I'me not a big guy at 5'6" and had not noticed during my ride). I also moved the controller on the left side of the handlebar a bit more to the right, since I found that my thumb would sometimes brush against the PAS up and down pads and change the settings when using the throttle.
I have been doing a fair bit of reading about e-bikes in general and battery charging in particular on the EBR forums and other online sites and have reached the following conclusions - I would welcome any comments, additions or corrections:

1. If you want to maximize the distance travelled or are suffering from "distance anxiety", and don't want to pedal a bit harder, then charge the battery to 100% of capacity after every ride. No harm will come to the battery in doing this, but the downside is that it will reduce the number of charging cycles available during the lifetime of the battery.
2. If you are more concerned with maximizing the number of battery charging cycles over its lifetime, then only charge it to about 80% - about 51.5 volts for a 48 volt battery, and try not to let the charge fall below 20% or so.
3. Fully charge the battery at least a few time during the cycling season to balance the cells.
4. Let the battery cool off for about a half hour before starting to charge it.
3. Batteries do not appreciate extremes in temperature, particulary if it is in a hot environment.
4. If you are attempting to charge the battery to 100% you may have to charge it longer than the advertised charge time to reach full capacity. For example, after a 30 kilometer ride yesterday my 48 volt 13 ah battery was down to about 50% and showing 46.8 volts on my multimeter. It took about 3.5 hours to reach 100% (54.3 volts), at which point the 3 amp Rize charger green light came on and the fan stopped working.
5. Try not to leave the battery at a 100% charge for longer than a few days and give it a 50-70% charge if storing for an extended period - you may have to top the battery up a few times during that storage period to maintain a 50-70% charge.

Since I am a retired senior rider, using the bike for recreation only and not really interested in marathon rides, I will probably go with point number 2 above for battery charging.
The "E-bike Battery Guide" section in the EBR general forums provides a lot of great info if you want to 'get into the weeds' on this subject.

BTW my experience with communicating with the Rize staff has been very positive, with answers to my emailed questions within a day or two and quick phone pickup or response to messages.
Any one have a vibration in front wheel on city md ?

Any one have a vibration in front wheel on city md ?
Not much there to vibrate really. Frequency of the vibration? Is it a high frequency, like maybe a brake squealing? A low frequency, possibly in time with the tire turning?

Feels like the front tire wants to fall off,intermittent checked wheel on securely almost feels like it is the frame shaking.

Feels like the front tire wants to fall off,intermittent checked wheel on securely almost feels like it is the frame shaking.
Could my handle bars not being aligned with wheel cause intermittent vibration when turning ?

I'll tell you what I think it is/sounds like. The tire, when it was inflated, is not centered on the wheel. This could be on one side, or both. Easiest to check/fix with the bike upside down, allowing you to give the tire a spin and watch to see what happens. If I'm right, it's going to look like a big knot or lump in the tire.

To fix, you need to let most of the air (but not all!) of the air out of the tire. Note there is a very faint line molded into the tire sidewall, down near the rim. It's not very big, so you'll need to be wearing your glasses, and maybe even need a flashlight if the lighting is poor where you are working. That faint line should be the same distance from the rim all of the way around. Check both sides! Once you've got the tire arranged so the line is the same all the way around both sides, then re-inflate to whatever pressure you want to run.

I doubt the handlebars have anything to do with the issue, though I would find that a big enough distraction I'd have to fix it soon.

Thanks AL good info will give that a try, alignment seems to be OK buddy looked at it.Thanks AL!

Back