Rize September 2020 Delivery Input and Updates

Great list. I pre-ordered the RX Pro black for November. The sound of the electric horn is awful. The old manual I think are best suited as when people hear that 'ring ring' they instinctively know that it's a bike.

Items not on on your list I am considering.

• Second Battery for Long Rides and Trigger Happy Throttle Rides. I need to find a source for this as Rize wants $750 US for a second battery.
• Electric Bike Pump that can set to desired PSI
rize RX pro uses a Reention Dorado! very easy battery to find, this is another reason i pulled the trigger.

A big believer in owning/servicing a bike built with mostly over the counter, buy them anywhere parts. Proprietary parts, those made by the bike manf themselves, can very easily become an issue if they become out dated or the bike manf goes out of business. Rize RX Pro, from what I can see, is a great example of an easy to service/get parts for bike.

Last edited:
A big believer in owning/servicing a bike with mostly over the counter, buy them anywhere parts. Proprietary parts, those made by the bike manf themselves, can very easily become an issue if they become out dated or the bike manf goes out of business. Rize RX Pro, from what I can see, is a great example of an easy to service/get parts for bike.
That's my hope. I've read enough posts from clueless owners who think they can pick up the phone and these DTC companies are going to diagnose and fix (or pay to fix) their bikes when problems arise. You have to know what you're buying and have realistic expectations with DTC bike companies. It's pretty much a transactional experience. Once you get your bike, you are largely on your own. I'm fine with that and am gearing up to fix and learn on my own. YouTube is a wealth of knowledge for the curious.

That's my hope. I've read enough posts from clueless owners who think they can pick up the phone and these DTC companies are going to diagnose and fix (or pay to fix) their bikes when problems arise. You have to know what you're buying and have realistic expectations with DTC bike companies. It's pretty much a transactional experience. Once you get your bike, you are largely on your own. I'm fine with that and am gearing up to fix and learn on my own. YouTube is a wealth of knowledge for the curious.
My bet is, that you're going to enjoy your new bike, even if it does nickel dime you a bit to get it sorted. I think many newbies forget that bikes like this SHOULD be making a stop at a local bike shop for final assembly and check out. Most skip that step, forgetting/loosing track of the fact that THEY are the ones now responsible for every nut and bolt being tightened, brakes, spokes and derailleur checked/set as necessary, etc. They take it out of the box, bolt on the handlebars, install the front tire, and go for a ride - and too often, complain if something isn't right!

Point being, if you're taking delivery of a bike like this direct from Rize (or anyone else) YOU are responsible for the final assembly, check out, and adjustments.

Not saying it's difficult, just that it needs to be done. -Al

Thanks ElevenAD . I didn't see this information listed under the specs on RIZE RX Pro. I definitely want a 2nd battery. I take it there is a quality difference in batteries? I wonder if there are any reputable battery suppliers that provide the Reentention Dorado. How about the controller?

We can't place a 52V Battery I take it because of the controller? (I'm still learning).

So for the RIZE RX were limited to a 48V 19AH at the top end...right? From the little I've read that's my understanding but like I said I'm just beginning to learns about the ins and outs of ebikes.

Thanks for the information.It was a great help!

I was under the impression that 48v & 52v can be swapped, and there would be a slight increase in power. Anyone able to confirm if this is true for the RX/RX Pro?

I was under the impression that 48v & 52v can be swapped, and there would be a slight increase in power. Anyone able to confirm if this is true for the RX/RX Pro?
There is another thread on this that mentions this. It's been discussed here on EBR before, 99% of 48V controller can take 52V just fine because the voltage is so close.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/higher-capacity-batteries-from-reention.35980/

That just a post mentioned there that doesn't make it true; hopefully someone knowledgeable can chime in and confirm.

Also there was a post on this Rise Forum about getting a 2nd Battery some of these posts may have been helpful there. We've segwayed a bit with our excitement in this thread.:D

Found on a website called Ebikeling:

Many users seem to be happy with their 48v ebike batteries while others consider upgrading to a higher voltage battery that their build can handle.

Why would you consider upgrading your electric bicycle battery from 48v to a 52v battery?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of upgrading a 48v battery to a 52v?

There are two main reasons why most do upgrade to a 52v battery.

1. More speed
  2. More power

Expanding upon the formula, Watt = Amp x Volt. Increasing the voltage will therefore increase the wattage too and this will result in more power.

The rate at which an electric motor spins is based on voltage hence an increase in overall power will also result in a higher top speed respectively. Therefore, upgrading the battery from a 48v to a 52v will increase both power and speed of our ebike.

Almost all the ebike controllers in the market can handle both 48v and 52v. It's the same for other parts of ebike conversion kit or pre-built electric bicycle. Any part than works with 48v is compatible with 52v.

So, are there any disadvantages of upgrading your ebike battery?

Not necessarily, the only disadvantage could be the price. 52v batteries are a bit more expensive compared to 48v batteries. This would definitely be something to consider if you have a budget build.

We can not conclude that one is better than the other one. Most users may not even realize the difference, so if you do not want to spend more on a battery just stick with your 48v battery.

Also, on Juiced Bikes website they say all of their 52v bikes can run 48v and vice versa. Looks like 52v will be compatible on the RX/RX Pro's.

Last edited:
52v is going to take some tuning I beleive. Stuff like the low voltage cutoff (LVC), and I think something else needs to be set for the display to read the proper voltage. Obviously, your charger will need to be different as well.

Drop in? no
Doable? sure!

Just a guess, but my bet is that though they carry different numbers of cells, the mounting dimensions are the same.

Found on a website called Ebikeling:

Many users seem to be happy with their 48v ebike batteries while others consider upgrading to a higher voltage battery that their build can handle.

Why would you consider upgrading your electric bicycle battery from 48v to a 52v battery?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of upgrading a 48v battery to a 52v?

There are two main reasons why most do upgrade to a 52v battery.

1. More speed
  2. More power

Expanding upon the formula, Watt = Amp x Volt. Increasing the voltage will therefore increase the wattage too and this will result in more power.

The rate at which an electric motor spins is based on voltage hence an increase in overall power will also result in a higher top speed respectively. Therefore, upgrading the battery from a 48v to a 52v will increase both power and speed of our ebike.

Almost all the ebike controllers in the market can handle both 48v and 52v. It's the same for other parts of ebike conversion kit or pre-built electric bicycle. Any part than works with 48v is compatible with 52v.

So, are there any disadvantages of upgrading your ebike battery?

Not necessarily, the only disadvantage could be the price. 52v batteries are a bit more expensive compared to 48v batteries. This would definitely be something to consider if you have a budget build.

We can not conclude that one is better than the other one. Most users may not even realize the difference, so if you do not want to spend more on a battery just stick with your 48v battery.

Also, on Juiced Bikes website they way all of their 52v bikes can run 48v and vice versa. Looks like 52v will be compatible on the RX/RX Pro's.
i upgraded my Juggernaut HD to a 52v last year and its great! i will always go this rout given the choice unfortunately its not an option for the RizeRX, i just popped it in and all was good but this is not the case with every bike,some may require settings or firmware changes so its best to contact Rize before buying a Battery.

i upgraded my Juggernaut HD to a 52v last year and its great! i will always go this rout given the choice unfortunately its not an option for the RizeRX, i just popped it in and all was good but this is not the case with every bike,some may require settings or firmware changes so its best to contact Rize before buying a Battery.

There's little doubt that 52v is an option. However, if you are riding around in PAS 1-3 while in ECO mode with your 48v bike, the extra 52v speed/power maybe completely lost on you. For many riding a bike like this on 48v, available speed/power is already so over the top, a 52v bat is going to be tough to justify.

Very interesting thread regarding battery voltage. But I'm thinking that if I wanted to upgrade my battery, I would probably do it for the purpose of extending my range of travel by upgrading the battery's amps rather than the voltage. As mentioned above, the upgrade in voltage would probably be essentially unnoticed, while an increase in range would probably be more beneficial. But I guess it all comes down to the riders priorities.

Very interesting thread regarding battery voltage. But I'm thinking that if I wanted to upgrade my battery, I would probably do it for the purpose of extending my range of travel by upgrading the battery's amps rather than the voltage. As mentioned above, the upgrade in voltage would probably be essentially unnoticed, while an increase in range would probably be more beneficial. But I guess it all comes down to the riders priorities.

I can relate to that "extra distance" too. The first bike I built used a big battery (high ah rating ) as I had these grand plans for all day rides, and to cover the fact we had some pretty big hills in the area. I had no experience regarding just how big a battery I needed (first e-bike), so I went big - just in case. Build turned out awesome. I had a useful range of well over 50 miles. What I discovered though, was that my butt had a useful range of about 20 miles - and that was pushing it (I'm now an active 70, 6'2"/still 315lbs)!

All that extra range came at a price too. Not just the initial purchase price, but the big battery made the heavy bike even heavier - and that weight was impossible for me to justify. Lesson learned, the next bike had a smaller LIGHTER battery....

Point being, be careful what you wish for....

I wonder if that Bitrix 52V Battery would work in the Rize RX? I'm not seeing any 52V Dorado Reentention Batteries with a quick search..there was some in the past but those links appear inactive. Bitrix does have 52V 21AH Dorado on their site though.

According to https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/diy-upgrade-for-rize-bikes.34330/
The Rize RX used Reention Dorado, 505mm.

And from Karl Gesslein's Bike Blog the degradation when below 50% seems rather significant. Not sure if the current riders agree with his assessment:

Do you really feel a difference when riding with a 52v battery instead of a 48v battery? I have spent hundreds of hours riding the BBS02 & the BBSHD with both 52v and 48v batteries from a variety of vendors. Honestly, right off the charger both the 48v and the 52v batteries feel about the same even though the 52v battery is about 4v more. I have not noticed any difference in the top RPM range of the unit, although it might be slightly higher with a 52v pack. The real differences come when your ride is about 1/2 over. With a 48v battery, once your battery is about half depleted you can feel the power drop off slightly. As the battery gets down to about 1/4 of its charge left, the difference becomes even more noticeable with both throttle lag and a noticeable lack of power. With a 52v battery this never really happens as the voltage never sags into the ‘ho-hum’ zone. With a 52v battery the BBSxx drive units run quite powerfully right up until the battery BMS cuts out.

So I want the Rize RX Pro Bike with the 52V 21AH Bitrix Battery.:cool:

Back