Riese & Muller Tinker

Curious what you think about the GoCycle GX in this class of bikes. It's a lot of propriety parts, but a really solid and compact folding bike. After going back and forth on whether to get a more traditional sized bike vs a folding bike like the GoCycle, I ended up purchasing a Gazelle cityzen T10 Speed from your shop in Brooklyn a few weeks ago (Lee was also great with me as I waffled back and forth between that and a couple R&M models). My wife rode it once and suddenly wanted one so we got the GoCycle and it's a pretty amazing little bike. We do family rides with the kids in a Burley trailer connected to my Gazelle and my wife on the GoCycle all over NYC now - really game changing for exploring!
First, thanks for your business. I appreciate your support. For the Gocycle I do have similar concerns, but they do seem to be doing pretty well and they seem to have the background for these things, coming from Formula 1. I have been considering adding their bikes to the shop since they are pretty popular and I think they fill a gap in the market for a lightweight folder. How do you find the Gocycle compared to your Gazelle?

I am really convinced that ebikes are the best way to get around the city. It’s quite an awesome experience!

How do you find the Gocycle compared to your Gazelle?
They're very different, but I like the Gazelle for a comfortable and fast commute (about 10 miles on the West Side Greenway each way). Being able to go 28mph effortlessly or get 50-60 miles of range is really nice and welcome flexibility. And it has the power to make towing the Burley with my kids in it really easy even in Eco mode -- we went about 20 miles into Westchester (40 round trip) on the South county trail last week and it made it there and back with about 10 more miles of range left. That long a distance with the trailer would have killed me on my old mountain bike :)

But the Gocycle is great too, and much more flexible in different ways that are probably predictable. Like when I know I'm going out after work, I can fold it and bring it inside with me instead of worrying about it being locked outside. I've brought it to several restaurants and bars and it's small enough when folded to not get in anybody's way it raider questions. Range is lower and it doesn't have as much power, but 20mph is plenty in most areas and I tend to stay in Eco mode on both of them anyway so that I'm getting at least some workout, and that gives me 35ish miles on the Gocycle, which is plenty in most scenarios. The Gocycle is still a bit more of a novelty and turns more heads :) It's nice to bring into our apartment to store instead of in our building's bike room where the Gazelle is probably safe but I still lock it with the cafe lock just in case.

I think it really boils down to the Gocycle legitimately being easy to fold and stow in a car trunk, carry up steps to bring with me somewhere, and being a super flexible urban bike. The Gazelle is a really well rounded bike for getting around when I know where I'm going and am comfortable with where it's going to be parked. It's hard to understate the flexibility of the Gocycle though because you really can bring it anywhere and the fold is so easy. I've only had it about a month though so can't speak to reliability - both have been great so far. I do ride the Gazelle more often though because my commute is very predictable with a bike room at work and also at home, so I charge the battery inside overnight and ride it in the morning.

The Gocycle being so "connected" is both good and bad. The app to control the bike is very flexible, and had a really nice configurable dashboard. But it can also be confusing and I don't love the activation of the bike being tied to an app and your email - if the company goes under, which to be fair send unlikely especially given the popularity of the GX, the bike will suddenly become much less flexible and basically be stuck with whatever settings you last updated them to.

Sorry, a bit long winded, but hopefully that's useful!

They're very different, but I like the Gazelle for a comfortable and fast commute (about 10 miles on the West Side Greenway each way). Being able to go 28mph effortlessly or get 50-60 miles of range is really nice and welcome flexibility. And it has the power to make towing the Burley with my kids in it really easy even in Eco mode -- we went about 20 miles into Westchester (40 round trip) on the South county trail last week and it made it there and back with about 10 more miles of range left. That long a distance with the trailer would have killed me on my old mountain bike :)

But the Gocycle is great too, and much more flexible in different ways that are probably predictable. Like when I know I'm going out after work, I can fold it and bring it inside with me instead of worrying about it being locked outside. I've brought it to several restaurants and bars and it's small enough when folded to not get in anybody's way it raider questions. Range is lower and it doesn't have as much power, but 20mph is plenty in most areas and I tend to stay in Eco mode on both of them anyway so that I'm getting at least some workout, and that gives me 35ish miles on the Gocycle, which is plenty in most scenarios. The Gocycle is still a bit more of a novelty and turns more heads :) It's nice to bring into our apartment to store instead of in our building's bike room where the Gazelle is probably safe but I still lock it with the cafe lock just in case.

I think it really boils down to the Gocycle legitimately being easy to fold and stow in a car trunk, carry up steps to bring with me somewhere, and being a super flexible urban bike. The Gazelle is a really well rounded bike for getting around when I know where I'm going and am comfortable with where it's going to be parked. It's hard to understate the flexibility of the Gocycle though because you really can bring it anywhere and the fold is so easy. I've only had it about a month though so can't speak to reliability - both have been great so far. I do ride the Gazelle more often though because my commute is very predictable with a bike room at work and also at home, so I charge the battery inside overnight and ride it in the morning.

The Gocycle being so "connected" is both good and bad. The app to control the bike is very flexible, and had a really nice configurable dashboard. But it can also be confusing and I don't love the activation of the bike being tied to an app and your email - if the company goes under, which to be fair send unlikely especially given the popularity of the GX, the bike will suddenly become much less flexible and basically be stuck with whatever settings you last updated them to.

Sorry, a bit long winded, but hopefully that's useful!
Super useful and insightful! Thanks for sharing your insights and experience.

Super useful and insightful! Thanks for sharing your insights and experience.
No problem! Here's one of the bikes locked together on the Greenway as we ate lunch on the Hudson a week or two ago :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_105718.jpg
    IMG_20190623_105718.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 1,046
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a Tinker Vario and have some final questions about it:
1. I'd like the Tinker to fit in an elevator. With its factory fenders, can you wheel the bike vertically, to temporarily fit in a tight space?
2. Can you mount a folding lock on the bike?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a Tinker Vario and have some final questions about it:
1. I'd like the Tinker to fit in an elevator. With its factory fenders, can you wheel the bike vertically, to temporarily fit in a tight space?
2. Can you mount a folding lock on the bike?

Thanks.
I know this is a bit late, but yes you can lift the bike on it's rear end, it might rub on the fender a bit, but it's rubber at the end so you won't hurt anything. For the folding lock you can mount it to the top tube with the included strap(s) on the Abus lock.

Figured I would share this new video I did on the 2019 Riese & Müller Tinker Vario. I hope you guys enjoy it. It's one of my first solo videos so I welcome any comments or feedback.

Very well done on the video. The Tinker is on my short list for an "extra (i.e. completely nonessential, luxury purchase) bike" I would consider grabbing if any discounts are offered as companies start to launch new models with the new Bosch motors/batteries. The bike looks like a blast to ride in a city environment.

Very well done on the video. The Tinker is on my short list for an "extra (i.e. completely nonessential, luxury purchase) bike" I would consider grabbing if any discounts are offered as companies start to launch new models with the new Bosch motors/batteries. The bike looks like a blast to ride in a city environment.
Thanks! I always appreciate your feedback. The Tinker is a personal favorite of mine particularly for riding around town. It’s super nimble and fun.

I bit the bullet and got one 😀

Been riding for a week now, it's a blast. The NuVinci Enviolo really changes the game. And it's so nice to keep the handlebars so high and get that upright riding position.

Now for the real challenge: avoiding theft. I'm bringing in the heavy hitters: ABUS' motorbike/bicycle u-lock, their alarmed folding lock, and Pitlock skewers. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy this bike for years to come!

Hi! I am seeing lots of great bike videos about the R&M line for 2020 (including the new videos by Propel Electric Bikes), and I am wondering how the TINKER will change for 2020. So far, I have held off purchasing. What I really want is the Tinker HS version, but with the Gates belt, Rohloff gears, and the Bosch generation 4 Performance Speed motor. I test rode the 2019 Delite with the Gates and Rohloff and loved it, and I test rode the 2019 Tinker HS with chain and derailleur and also loved it. The new Bosch motor has reduced weight, improved gearing inside the motor, and improved power curve when approaching 28 mph. So I will probably hold off my purchase until I see a TINKER that checks all the boxes for me! I have learned that R&M will accept more *customized* orders for 2020! Can a customer place an order for whatever options they like and mix and match? Any comments? Thanks!

Now for the real challenge: avoiding theft. I'm bringing in the heavy hitters: ABUS' motorbike/bicycle u-lock, their alarmed folding lock, and Pitlock skewers. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy this bike for years to come!

Congrats on your TINKER purchase! Wow, with such a compact bike, I am surprised about your challenge of preventing theft. I am thinking I could pop it into a car trunk and certainly keep the Tinker indoors. The compact size seems like one of the main selling points. I have not purchased yet, but I test rode a Tinker HS, and I also tried fitting it into the trunk of my Prius. It fits with no problem.

Hi! I am seeing lots of great bike videos about the R&M line for 2020 (including the new videos by Propel Electric Bikes), and I am wondering how the TINKER will change for 2020. So far, I have held off purchasing. What I really want is the Tinker HS version, but with the Gates belt, Rohloff gears, and the Bosch generation 4 Performance Speed motor. I test rode the 2019 Delite with the Gates and Rohloff and loved it, and I test rode the 2019 Tinker HS with chain and derailleur and also loved it. The new Bosch motor has reduced weight, improved gearing inside the motor, and improved power curve when approaching 28 mph. So I will probably hold off my purchase until I see a TINKER that checks all the boxes for me! I have learned that R&M will accept more *customized* orders for 2020! Can a customer place an order for whatever options they like and mix and match? Any comments? Thanks!
The R&M website includes all of the updated 2020 bikes now. Unfortunately there are no real changes for the Tinker next year. Maybe we will see an update for 2021, but I don’t anticipate any changes in the meanwhile.

Regarding a custom Tinker, unfortunately this isn’t possible either, at least not from R&M. For one it’s not possible to mount the Gen 4 motor in the existing frame, but more importantly R&M doesn’t offer custom options like this.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. All that being said I think the current Tinker works really well as is. I know many might like the belt with a HS, it’s just not a concept that they felt like made sense. I hope this helps clarify somethings.

The R&M website includes all of the updated 2020 bikes now. Unfortunately there are no real changes for the Tinker next year. Maybe we will see an update for 2021, but I don’t anticipate any changes in the meanwhile.

Regarding a custom Tinker, unfortunately this isn’t possible either, at least not from R&M. For one it’s not possible to mount the Gen 4 motor in the existing frame, but more importantly R&M doesn’t offer custom options like this.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. All that being said I think the current Tinker works really well as is. I know many might like the belt with a HS, it’s just not a concept that they felt like made sense. I hope this helps clarify somethings.

Thank you, Chris! Really appreciate your input on this forum, all your help for the biking community, and your great videos. I live in Northern California, but I do get down south occasionally, and my next trip will definitely include a visit to Propel in Long Beach.

Thank you, Chris! Really appreciate your input on this forum, all your help for the biking community, and your great videos. I live in Northern California, but I do get down south occasionally, and my next trip will definitely include a visit to Propel in Long Beach.
Thanks @John2911 it's really my pleasure! I'm grateful to be part of this community.

I love this thread. The Tinker vs. Vektron discussion has been enlightening.

To add another bike to the mix, what about the Tinker Vario vs. Tern HSD S8I. Both are non-folding compact bikes with belt drives.

I have also been patiently waiting for the tinker with gen 4 motor to be released. Riese & Müller posted on their Facebook page that 2021 models will be on their website in September so not too much longer to wait.

The Tern HSD bike seems to have been recently released and designed around the gen 2 motor so I don't imaging they will be quick to release an update with the gen 4 motor.

The bike that I recently found that looks to be a real competitor to the tinker is the I:SY DrivE. They have a lot of options for different motor and hubs, a good overview is at the end of their catalog. If I:SY were able to introduce a gen 4 version close to when Riese & Müller do it would be a tough choice. The I:SY doesn't have the front suspension but I think the folding is better for storage than the Tinker. Being able to twist the handle bars 90 degrees makes it much nicer to store at work and at home.

Has anyone had dealings with I:SY? They seem to be pretty focussed around Germany and not so much internationally.

I have also been patiently waiting for the tinker with gen 4 motor to be released. Riese & Müller posted on their Facebook page that 2021 models will be on their website in September so not too much longer to wait.

The Tern HSD bike seems to have been recently released and designed around the gen 2 motor so I don't imaging they will be quick to release an update with the gen 4 motor.

The bike that I recently found that looks to be a real competitor to the tinker is the I:SY DrivE. They have a lot of options for different motor and hubs, a good overview is at the end of their catalog. If I:SY were able to introduce a gen 4 version close to when Riese & Müller do it would be a tough choice. The I:SY doesn't have the front suspension but I think the folding is better for storage than the Tinker. Being able to twist the handle bars 90 degrees makes it much nicer to store at work and at home.

Has anyone had dealings with I:SY? They seem to be pretty focussed around Germany and not so much internationally.

Interesting, where did you see info about the announce date for Riese and Müller's 2021 lineup? Was it in a Facebook comment? Can't seem to find it.

I'm also very interested in seeing a Tinker upgrade - hope it's more creative than just a motor swap. I would also love it if R&M released a folding electric model. I'm dealing with tiny NYC spaces, so folding is extremely helpful. The current-gen Tern Vektron is fine but it's not quite there for me. Add a Gen4 motor, Kiox or phone display, and 28 MPH and I'd be sold.

Interesting, where did you see info about the announce date for Riese and Müller's 2021 lineup? Was it in a Facebook comment? Can't seem to find it.

I'm also very interested in seeing a Tinker upgrade - hope it's more creative than just a motor swap. I would also love it if R&M released a folding electric model. I'm dealing with tiny NYC spaces, so folding is extremely helpful. The current-gen Tern Vektron is fine but it's not quite there for me. Add a Gen4 motor, Kiox or phone display, and 28 MPH and I'd be sold.

It was a comment on the May 16 post.

The Tern HSD bike seems to have been recently released and designed around the gen 2 motor so I don't imagine they will be quick to release an update with the gen 4 motor.

I just stumbled across i:sy in the last few days when looking at the Tinker. I am concerned by what seems like a complete lack of dealers and info on them i could find in the UK, otherwise their bikes seem very well specced with a wide range of options, if not cheap (though that applies to R&M as well ! ). But if I'm spending this much on a bike its vital its got local dealers, or indeed some dealer even if a fair drive away.

Also, one difference between all their bikes and the tinker is that the tinker seems to have a lower frame height (compensated by longer stems) which would make the tinker easier to get into my hatchback car, which is my plan.

I'm waiting for a tinker to come into stock to check how it will fit my car, whilst an i:sy would fit, it would need to be on its side, i might be able to get the tinker in vertically and thus take up much less space.

There does seem to be a lack of compact bikes with hub gears and belts, (even hub gears and a chain, at a pinch) there's so many very expensive electric bikes which to my mind are compromised by old fashioned clunky easily damaged derailleurs that detract from the whole concept of a modern low maintenance compact bike.

Last edited:
Back