Riese & Muller Tinker

My dealer, not being a vender of mountain bikes, has no experience with updating Tinker software to eMTB; how difficult is the process?

He will need the current dongle that allows him to plug into the micro USB port on your Intuvia display. I’m guessing this then plugs into a computer that has the current Bosch update. If you have more than one battery, the dealer will have to update the system with number 1, swap batteries, and update again with battery number 2. I learned this from one of @Chris Nolte posts.

Edit:BTW, I have the Delite GT NuVinci model, which was purchased from Chris, and delivered to me with the eMTB software already installed and all batteries in the current firmware condition. I don’t consider it a ‘mountain bike’ per se, and have not as yet taken it off road. All Bosch CX drives utilize the same firmware, from my understanding.

Last edited:
Thank you! Not as simple as I had thought, with respect to the dongle requirement as none of the other bikes he has sold are CX models. I will pursue further...

Thank you! Not as simple as I had thought, with respect to the dongle requirement as none of the other bikes he has sold are CX models. I will pursue further...
I just thought of something. Do you have the HS (high speed) version of the Tinker? If so, this does not offer the eMTB mode because it uses the performance speed version Bosch motor. Only the CX version (limited to 20 mph here in the states) offers the eMTB mode.

I have the CX version (with N380 belt drive). Thanks!

One of the reason I purchased this version was because of the relatively high torque low velocity... and the belt drive. For city riding, I find that 20MPH is quite fast enough.

I have the CX version (with N380 belt drive). Thanks!

One of the reason I purchased this version was because of the relatively high torque low velocity... and the belt drive. For city riding, I find that 20MPH is quite fast enough.

I've told my dealer/mechanic that he should consider the Tinker as being a mini mountain bike for a mini senior citizen.

To update to eMTB mode the bike just needs to be updated with the Bosch software. It’s pretty straightforward.

unfortunately, my dealer ran into a problem when he attempted to do this. The update procedures worked for his other Bosch CX bikes (proving that he knows what he is doing and that his computer hardware and software works); On my tinker, the update didn't "take". He's contacting Bosch and R&M to attempt to resolve the difficulty. Suggestions?

I’ve seen this happen with a bad connection either with the internet or with the cable running to the display. There are two options, to load the software directly from the web or to download it then add it. I imagine they tried both options, but if not these would be some things I would look at.

Has anyone had the chance to ride one of the new Tinkers by Rises and Muller? Looks like a nice bike and I was wondering if anyone could chime in.

Thanks

Kenny B
Hi Kenny, Whatever you do please ride the bike before you buy. The number one consideration is geometry. If the bike does not feel good physically, there is a likelihood that you will not ride a lot. I know a lot of folks on this forum buy bikes sight unseen. Hate for you to buy a bike only to discover that it isn't comfortable.

Kenny - We have one in the shop that I have ridden several times. My initial thoughts are: Compact bike made to fit a variety of riders. It rides like a full size bike due to the stiff frame and wider tires and it's a lot of fun and very easy to handle making it great for urban environments.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Chris, I really like the comfort and versatility of the Tinker. I have a few questions about configuring the Tinker:
1) Ideally i'd like more seatpost suspension combined with an original Tinker seatpost: Can R&M fit it with a Cane Creek Thudbuster LT instead of an ST, or even a Body Float? I know they don't show those options online, but maybe you have inside info. I'd prefer not to use shims, and to get the adjustment tick marks and the full range of height adjustments of the original unsuspended seatpost.
2) Is R&M's CCT ST seatpost just as long as their unsuspended seatpost? I'm 6'6" and the Tinker felt comfortable only at the highest unsuspended seatpost setting. My wife is much shorter, so I'm also wondering if the ST adds to the minimum seat height (maybe not since I think the unsuspended seatpost doesn't go all the way down either)?
3) Are there any pneumatic suspension fork options (from R&M or Propel)? Seems like this should be an option for a ~$5k ebike.

Thank you!
Joe

I’ve seen this happen with a bad connection either with the internet or with the cable running to the display. There are two options, to load the software directly from the web or to download it then add it. I imagine they tried both options, but if not these would be some things I would look at.
Problem fixed! eMTB installed. Reason for the difficulty is unknown. Bottom line is that I like it!

Chris, I really like the comfort and versatility of the Tinker. I have a few questions about configuring the Tinker:
1) Ideally i'd like more seatpost suspension combined with an original Tinker seatpost: Can R&M fit it with a Cane Creek Thudbuster LT instead of an ST, or even a Body Float? I know they don't show those options online, but maybe you have inside info. I'd prefer not to use shims, and to get the adjustment tick marks and the full range of height adjustments of the original unsuspended seatpost.
2) Is R&M's CCT ST seatpost just as long as their unsuspended seatpost? I'm 6'6" and the Tinker felt comfortable only at the highest unsuspended seatpost setting. My wife is much shorter, so I'm also wondering if the ST adds to the minimum seat height (maybe not since I think the unsuspended seatpost doesn't go all the way down either)?
3) Are there any pneumatic suspension fork options (from R&M or Propel)? Seems like this should be an option for a ~$5k ebike.

Thank you!
Joe
Joe,

The Thudbuster that is available for the Tinker is a 33.9 post, but the seat tube diameter is 34.9. So there is a shin used. The LT version is available as an aftermarket option. This will impact the minimum seat height though, although you are correct, none of the posts go all the way down in their stock length. How tall is your wife?

For the suspension, we’ve been very happy the stock fork, but we could upgrade the fork to a pneumatic version. They run around 500-700 though. White Brothers, Suntour and MRP make one, but 20” suspension forks aren’t all that common.

I ordered a Tinker HS from Propel bikes last week. It's my first e-bike! I hope to have it delivered by mid to late April and paid an extra $300 to ship by air from Germany. Propel will then prep it and send the Tinker to my home in suburban Chicago.

The landscape is mostly flat in Chicago, so I chose speed(HS) over torque(CX). There is no Nuvinci option with the Tinker HS and I'm ok with that because of the larger gear range provided by the chain and derailleur. I own a couple of recumbents and prefer the 20 inch wheel size of the Tinker since smaller wheels help with maneuverability/agility. I also chose the cargo box and Thudbuster seat-post accessories.
Another reason to purchase the Tinker is the flexibility it provides in transport by being compact and fitting riders of a wide range of heights.:cool:

Want to buy a slightly used Tinker N380 (Portland, Oregon)? I've realized, unfortunately, that it is not the bike for me.

I took a chance and purchased a R&M Tinker HS from Propel Bikes in Brooklyn NY and have had problems with the motor intermittently powering off often during rides. I received the bike in late May five weeks ago. I have taken it to my local LBS a few times, and even though they are a Trek dealer and have a Bosch certified tech on staff, the LBS has been unable to help. First they thought it was the connections from the intuvia display. Maybe they just need to be cleaned even though the bike was new? Then. it was maybe the actual display needed to be replaced? ! Luckily I had already purchased a new display and was able to disavow them of that option because the problem persisted. I am hesitant to ride the bike now especially since I have noticed that the lights stop working also. It scares me to ride at night! Now I have been awaiting for over a week for a display control panel from Propel. They are sure this will solve the problem.

Right now I am feeling frustrated! Maybe I have should have tried to purchase an non R&M e-bike from a dealer closer to where I live? Chicago is a long way from NYC!

Back