Riese & Muller Tinker

I took a chance and purchased a R&M Tinker HS from Propel Bikes in Brooklyn NY and have had problems with the motor intermittently powering off often during rides. I received the bike in late May five weeks ago. I have taken it to my local LBS a few times, and even though they are a Trek dealer and have a Bosch certified tech on staff, the LBS has been unable to help. First they thought it was the connections from the intuvia display. Maybe they just need to be cleaned even though the bike was new? Then. it was maybe the actual display needed to be replaced? ! Luckily I had already purchased a new display and was able to disavow them of that option because the problem persisted. I am hesitant to ride the bike now especially since I have noticed that the lights stop working also. It scares me to ride at night! Now I have been awaiting for over a week for a display control panel from Propel. They are sure this will solve the problem.

Right now I am feeling frustrated! Maybe I have should have tried to purchase an non R&M e-bike from a dealer closer to where I live? Chicago is a long way from NYC!
Did you ever get this resolved? If so, how do you like the high speed version? What's your max comfortable speed? Range?

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, how do you like the high speed version? What's your max comfortable speed? Range?
I know @niveksilliw was having some trouble posting, but it was resolved. We sent a new display mount which solved the issue. Unfortunately not all dealers are that familiar on how to diagnose some of these more complex issues. We are working with Bosch to publish a wiki on these common troubleshooting items. I think this will be helpful, although not everyone likes to research before attempting to fix things.

@Leandro also has the HS Tinker. He could probably answer some of your questions.

I know @niveksilliw was having some trouble posting, but it was resolved. We sent a new display mount which solved the issue. Unfortunately not all dealers are that familiar on how to diagnose some of these more complex issues. We are working with Bosch to publish a wiki on these common troubleshooting items. I think this will be helpful, although not everyone likes to research before attempting to fix things.

@Leandro also has the HS Tinker. He could probably answer some of your questions.
Tinker HS Update

All is good!

My Tinker HS is now the e-bike I thought it would it. After receiving a replacement display module cradle from Propel Bikes and having it installed by my local LBS, the Tinker is performing awesomely. I’ve ridden it often for the past two weeks with no reoccurrence of the power intermittently glitching off and turning the Tinker into a 50+lb behemoth. I’ve ridden it on all types of terrain and the Tinker performs flawlessly.

I want to thank Chris Nolte from Propel who contacted me promptly and during our discussion, upon checking my mailbox, the part had arrived.

I’ve recently purchased a Sony Action camera and look forward to posting a few videos of my rides. I also want to EBR and Citrus cycles for opening my mind to the endless possibilities of riding e-bikes vs the possibility of buying a small motorcycle. I love the speed of the 28mph Tinker! Riding the Tinker has brought back great memories of my youth by providing me the ability to ride over rough terrain and long distance at a pace that would leave me recuperating for 2-3 days prior to my purchase of a high quality e-bike.

Once again! All is good!??

I have over 1,000 miles on my Tinker HS. Most of my riding is for pleasure. I have been exploring the forest preserve bike trail system in the suburban Chicago. I load the Tinker on my bike rack and I’m off. I have found it necessary to use several bungee cords to adequately secure the bike because the rack is designed for traditional bikes with round tubes. I use cords with the little balls at end.
After the initial few weeks of riding where I experimented with all the modes, I have settled at Tour mode as my main level of assistance. Tour mode provides a range about 55 miles. I constantly monitor range. It lets me know when it’s time to ride back back to my Forester. Sometimes on long flats I downshift to eco to extend the range. Occasionally, at the end of a long, tiring ride, I will shift to sport mode.
14-15 mph in eco mode is a nice speed for me! I’m a fit 60 who is into tech therefore I use my Apple ? watch or a chest strap to monitor my heart rate. I’m usually in the low 120s. When I push it, maybe 140bpm. I still prefer the HS version, because there are times when I want to go fast and not lose assistance. I have especially found the HS version useful on the downhill parts of my rides. After spending the last few days in Atlanta, which is hilly from my Chicagoland flat-lander perspective, I am even more happy to have the 28mph version. I’m able to ride in time mid 20s easily for long portions of my ride with a little assistance.
I’m attaching a pic of the faulty display which made my first month of ownership a bit ? and one of my bike ? in it.s rack as a visual component of this post.

Attachments

• 0C9088CD-F16B-482A-B1E1-D178F425E6FC.jpeg
    0C9088CD-F16B-482A-B1E1-D178F425E6FC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 768
  • 9EC7FB7C-1453-4C1C-970D-32800842B807.jpeg
    9EC7FB7C-1453-4C1C-970D-32800842B807.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1,010
Last edited:
I have over 1,000 miles on my Tinker HS. Most of my riding is for pleasure. I have been exploring the forest preserve bike trail system in the suburban Chicago. I load the Tinker on my bike rack and I’m off. I have found it necessary to use several bungee cords to adequately secure the bike because the rack is designed for traditional bikes with round tubes. I use cords with the little balls at end.
After the initial few weeks of riding where I experimented with all the modes, I have settled at Tour mode as my main level of assistance. Tour mode provides a range about 55 miles. I constantly monitor range. It lets me know when it’s time to ride back back to my Forester. Sometimes on long flats I downshift to eco to extend the range. Occasionally, at the end of a long, tiring ride, I will shift to sport mode.
14-15 mph in eco mode is a nice speed for me! I’m a fit 60 who is into tech therefore I use my Apple ? watch or a chest strap to monitor my heart rate. I’m usually in the low 120s. When I push it, maybe 140bpm. I still prefer the HS version, because there are times when I want to go fast and not lose assistance. I have especially found the HS version useful on the downhill parts of my rides. After spending the last few days in Atlanta, which is hilly from my Chicagoland flat-lander perspective, I am even more happy to have the 28mph version. I’m able to ride in time mid 20s easily for long portions of my ride with a little assistance.
I’m attaching a pic of the faulty display which made my first month of ownership a bit ? and one of my bike ? in it.s rack as a visual component of this post.
That's good to hear. Thanks for the info as well. I'll keep the tinker on my possible next bike list.

I have a few questions about the Tinker

How customizable is it? Inotherwords, can you run fatter tires? Schrader valves instead of presta? Wider handlebars? Can you order it with these modifications? Can you run the high speed Bosch motor with the Gates belt and Nuvinci? Or only the CX?
Does the bike work without fenders? It looks like the light is wired to the rear fender?

I have a few questions about the Tinker

How customizable is it? Inotherwords, can you run fatter tires? Schrader valves instead of presta? Wider handlebars? Can you order it with these modifications? Can you run the high speed Bosch motor with the Gates belt and Nuvinci? Or only the CX?
Does the bike work without fenders? It looks like the light is wired to the rear fender?

1) Wider tires may cause clearance issues with the fender.
2) The rims are drilled for presta and will not accept a schrader valve.
3) Handle bars can certainly beswapped for something wider.
4) The HS motor is only available on the Touring model.
5) The fenders can be removed, as the light wiring is routed through the rear rack.
6) All of these modifications would be made by the dealer, as R&M does not offer these options. The bike is only available in either the Touring or the Nuvinci model, both of which are available in black, orange, or blue.

Thanks Leandro. Here in Hawaii don't really need fenders so those will come off. Has anyone drilled out rims to accommodate Schrader valves? Kenda makes a super thick inner tube with Schrader valves for a 20 inch wheel that is very puncture resistant and holds air pressure for weeks. I have been commuting on a Juiced Ebike for a number of years and have found the 20 x 2.4 tires give a better ride and look better too. My question about the handlebars really was referring to the cables. I am curious if these will need to be redone to accommodate a 26 or 28" handlebar. Has anyone found the 24 inch ones to be too narrow? Any reason they don't combine the HS motor on the Nuvinci and belt drive.

Thanks Leandro. Here in Hawaii don't really need fenders so those will come off. Has anyone drilled out rims to accommodate Schrader valves? Kenda makes a super thick inner tube with Schrader valves for a 20 inch wheel that is very puncture resistant and holds air pressure for weeks. I have been commuting on a Juiced Ebike for a number of years and have found the 20 x 2.4 tires give a better ride and look better too. My question about the handlebars really was referring to the cables. I am curious if these will need to be redone to accommodate a 26 or 28" handlebar. Has anyone found the 24 inch ones to be too narrow? Any reason they don't combine the HS motor on the Nuvinci and belt drive.

1) We have had experience drilling rims in order to accomodate for schrader valvers, though I recommend against it. Also, I suggest concentrating more on a puncture resistant tire than tube. The Schwalbe Bieg Ben Plus is one of the more puncture resistant tires on the market and should provide you piece of mind when riding. I can't blame you for wanting to go for the most puncture resistant set up possible, but I just wanted to offer my 2 cents.

2) The wiring/cabling of the bike should certainly accommodate a wider handlebar, though this will dramatically change the maneuverability/responsiveness of the bike.

3) The Nuvinci tends to lack resistance even in its highest gear when traveling at higher speeds (28mph), meaning that your cadence can get quite high. This is more pronounced when the Nuvinci is paired with small 20" wheels.

Hi! Nobody has posted here since last July. I hope someone is still monitoring this thread! I’m considering the Tinker HS and looking forward to a test ride (Northern California). I’ve watched all the available videos many times over. SHOUTOUT to Cort, Chris Nolty, and Kelly up in Ladysmith!!! Great videos, you guys! First, I’m wondering how the existing owners still like the bike. Problems? Range limitations? Would love to hear from you. Second, I’m wondering if anyone has tried removing the front wheel, seat post, and battery for loading into a car hatchback, and how much lighter does that make the bike? Third, does anyone carry a second battery while riding and swap it out to boost the range? Thanks, folks!

My sister rides a Tinker and loves it. She has had it for 2 years and is planning on riding it for the opening day of Ride the Rockies which is open to ebikes for the first time this year. Her enthusiasm for the Tinker is what got me interested in ebikes. She does use 2 batteries for rides in the mountains.

Does anyone know how often R&M updates the Tinker, or their bikes in general? I rode a Tinker Vario at Propel a few weeks ago and really loved it, but was curious if it was going to be updated anytime soon. I just saw the Bosch updates, which includes the CX line, so I'm wondering if R&M is going to update the Tinker this year. I'd also love to see one with a Kiox display.

On that note - is it possible to upgrade a current Tinker to the Kiox?

Does anyone know how often R&M updates the Tinker, or their bikes in general? I rode a Tinker Vario at Propel a few weeks ago and really loved it, but was curious if it was going to be updated anytime soon. I just saw the Bosch updates, which includes the CX line, so I'm wondering if R&M is going to update the Tinker this year. I'd also love to see one with a Kiox display.

On that note - is it possible to upgrade a current Tinker to the Kiox?
Thanks for visiting my shop Propel, I hope my team treated you well.

I believe it’s likely that the Tinker will not get the new motor for next year. Perhaps in 2021, but the thing is the bike works really well as is and it’s a big undertaking to redesign the frame for the new motor. I believe R&M will focus on a few models to implement the new motor and roll it out on the rest of the lineup over the next few years.

Regarding the Kiox, at the moment an upgrade isn’t possible but I anticipate this being possible for next year. Bosch didn’t allow retrofits this year as they need to work on scaling up production. If I had to speculate, they will be available soon and we or another shop could potentially do a swap down the line.

I hope this is helpful.

I believe it’s likely that the Tinker will not get the new motor for next year. Perhaps in 2021, but the thing is the bike works really well as is and it’s a big undertaking to redesign the frame for the new motor. I believe R&M will focus on a few models to implement the new motor and roll it out on the rest of the lineup over the next few years.

Regarding the Kiox, at the moment an upgrade isn’t possible but I anticipate this being possible for next year. Bosch didn’t allow retrofits this year as they need to work on scaling up production. If I had to speculate, they will be available soon and we or another shop could potentially do a swap down the line.

I hope this is helpful.
Chris, so it sounds like you are saying that installing a Kiox display on the Tinker is just a matter of swapping it out, if one is available. Is that right? The bike electronics are compatible to make the Kiox work as soon as it is mounted? Does the Kiox require a different mount?

And Chris, I may be wrong, but I seem to recall in one of your videos for EBR you said you need $500 to start an order for an R&M bike. Is that correct? I was told by a local dealer that I need to come up with $5k to start a Tinker order. For whatever reason, I went in there thinking I could get my order started for $500. I wasn't prepared to plunk down $5k that day.

In my test ride of the Tinker HS it felt large and stable, plenty fast, and really fun. Loved it! I tried removing the battery and seat post for loading the bike into my hatchback (with handlebars folded down), and that made it light enough to maneuver without removing the front wheel. However, I might also go with removable pedals to flatten the bike when I haul it. Hoping to order soon.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks, Chris! That all makes sense. And good to know about the Kiox.

The shop was great, btw. I forgot the name of the guy I spoke to (Lee?), but I remember he had a blue Tinker HS and was super helpful and thorough. I actually went there to test-drive the Tern Vektron S10 but was completely blown away by the Tinker. The Vektron was great and I love its folding ability, but the Tinker felt incredibly solid and really impressed me - enough to make me question if I really needed a folding bike.

On that note: I assume many of your customers end up with a Tinker vs Vektron decision since those are the two compact models you carry. Besides price and folding capability, what are some of the most common factors that sway people one way or the other between these two bikes? I understand it can be a pretty personal decision, but I'm just curious if there are things I haven't really considered yet. Thanks!

The shop was great, btw. I forgot the name of the guy I spoke to (Lee?), but I remember he had a blue Tinker HS and was super helpful and thorough. I actually went there to test-drive the Tern Vektron S10 but was completely blown away by the Tinker. The Vektron was great and I love its folding ability, but the Tinker felt incredibly solid and really impressed me - enough to make me question if I really needed a folding bike.

On that note: I assume many of your customers end up with a Tinker vs Vektron decision since those are the two compact models you carry. Besides price and folding capability, what are some of the most common factors that sway people one way or the other between these two bikes? I understand it can be a pretty personal decision, but I'm just curious if there are things I haven't really considered yet. Thanks!
I look forward reading to Chris’s reply to you.

Like you, I have been on the fence about folding bikes. The most extreme folding bike is the Brompton, and the electric version will go on sale soon in the US. That compact fold is very attractive. But much about the ride is compromised for its ultimate folding ability, and the electric means significantly more weight. The opposite extreme is a full-sized ebike, but racks to haul them require a trailer hitch due to their weight, and there are other portability disadvantages. I’m thinking now that the Tinker is just about the ideal compromise. Superb ride, and while not folding it is still compact enough with handlebars down to haul inside any vehicle. We are actually considering 2, and hauling 2 inside a hatchback seems no problem. Removable pedals will help. Removing battery & seat post lightens the weight. Removing the front wheel might also help, but I was advised that could cause problems and be less balanced to maneuver when lifting. I found the Tinker light enough to manage with the front wheel left on.

We test rode the Tinker HS against the Vektron S10. The ride was comparable, of course with the exception of the Tinker HS higher max speed. I found the gear shifting to be clunkier on the Vektron. But finally, the ease of lifting and storing the Tinker in a hatchback (battery & seat post removed), pretty much canceled our need to fold. We are sold on the Tinker when it comes time to buy.

Thanks Trevor! @Leandro (Lee) is the guy you spoke to. He’s owned a Tinker for a little over a year now.

I listed some factors others generally consider when comparing:

1. Power of the motor: The Tinker has a more powerful motor than the Vektron’s 40 and 50Nm motors, whether it’s the HS with 63 or torque or the CX with 75.

2. Drivetrain options: the Vario version is by far our most popular variation with the Enviolo hub and a belt. I think the belt is the big draw, but the Enviolo CVT is quite nice as well.

3. Suspension: having a front suspension is also a detail that comes up quite often when comparing the Vektron to the Tinker.

Outside of that there are many similarities, 20” wheel size, adjustable handlebars, lights, fenders, rack, etc.

I think for many if they don’t need the fold and can get away with a compact bike the Tinker is a common choice. That being said the Tinker and the Vektron are both very popular bikes and they both are excellent choices.

I look forward reading to Chris’s reply to you.

Like you, I have been on the fence about folding bikes. The most extreme folding bike is the Brompton, and the electric version will go on sale soon in the US. That compact fold is very attractive. But much about the ride is compromised for its ultimate folding ability, and the electric means significantly more weight. The opposite extreme is a full-sized ebike, but racks to haul them require a trailer hitch due to their weight, and there are other portability disadvantages. I’m thinking now that the Tinker is just about the ideal compromise. Superb ride, and while not folding it is still compact enough with handlebars down to haul inside any vehicle. We are actually considering 2, and hauling 2 inside a hatchback seems no problem. Removable pedals will help. Removing battery & seat post lightens the weight. Removing the front wheel might also help, but I was advised that could cause problems and be less balanced to maneuver when lifting. I found the Tinker light enough to manage with the front wheel left on.

We test rode the Tinker HS against the Vektron S10. The ride was comparable, of course with the exception of the Tinker HS higher max speed. I found the gear shifting to be clunkier on the Vektron. But finally, the ease of lifting and storing the Tinker in a hatchback (battery & seat post removed), pretty much canceled our need to fold. We are sold on the Tinker when it comes time to buy.
I’m with you on the Brompton. We were going to bring them in this year, but I think it’s still not ready for market. It’s going to launch with the software in a beta state. That doesn’t make me feel too good. I’m not usually one to bash other brands and my comment shouldn’t be taken as such. I think it really boils down to companies trying to morph from being a bike company to being a bike + hardware + software company. It’s quite the undertaking and even the best funded companies will struggle with that. Specialized is a good example.

I’m with you on the Brompton. We were going to bring them in this year, but I think it’s still not ready for market. It’s going to launch with the software in a beta state. That doesn’t make me feel too good. I’m not usually one to bash other brands and my comment shouldn’t be taken as such. I think it really boils down to companies trying to morph from being a bike company to being a bike + hardware + software company. It’s quite the undertaking and even the best funded companies will struggle with that. Specialized is a good example.
Chris, what you said about the Brompton makes a lot of sense. I didn't quite think of it that way.

Am I guessing right that the Kiox display (if available) is just a swap with the Intuvia display, and nothing else is needed to make it work? Or is there more to it? I'm talking about on the Tinker HS.

Next time I get down to Long Beach I'll drop by your store. I lived in SoCal ages ago. Now I'm living north of SF.

Curious what you think about the GoCycle GX in this class of bikes. It's a lot of propriety parts, but a really solid and compact folding bike. After going back and forth on whether to get a more traditional sized bike vs a folding bike like the GoCycle, I ended up purchasing a Gazelle cityzen T10 Speed from your shop in Brooklyn a few weeks ago (Lee was also great with me as I waffled back and forth between that and a couple R&M models). My wife rode it once and suddenly wanted one so we got the GoCycle and it's a pretty amazing little bike. We do family rides with the kids in a Burley trailer connected to my Gazelle and my wife on the GoCycle all over NYC now - really game changing for exploring!

Back