Riese & Müller Tinker vs Tern HSD S+

Very nice and great choice, I am currently looking at the HS version because of the reduction gear on the vario which would create resistance at higher speed. Have you experienced this or is it fine?

In addition, do you guys know if r&m are planning to update the Tinker in September with the gen 3/4 motors? Thanks for your input
Thank you! The reduction gear, enviolo, and gates belt combined create significant resistance past 20mph. It is not a HS pedelec so I wouldn’t go into the vario version with the mindset of going past 20mph. However, the CX torque is a treat, basically you are going either 20mph or 0 based on my riding this weekend lol.
I wish I knew if R&M were updating the Tinker. My guess is yes which sucks because I just invested in this one. However I have a feeling the price will go up too if they add a powertube, Gen 4 motor.

Yes, you notice the reduction gear. If speed is important, get the hs for sure. I’ve never cared about that but tbh this bike is so much more fun than my last ebike I might reconsider if I had to do over again.

Thanks guys for the feedback ! High Speed it is then..

Just need to figure out if I am now ready to wait 2-3 months for the new one which could be indeed a bit more expensive.. already stretching my budget for this one

Thanks guys for the feedback ! High Speed it is then..

Just need to figure out if I am now ready to wait 2-3 months for the new one which could be indeed a bit more expensive.. already stretching my budget for this one
I’d say wait for the new one, at the very least the older models might get discounted a bit. However, since R&M is made-to-order I am not sure if this principal applies. When the G2 Vektron S10 came out, the G1 went from $3799 to $2999. Does anyone know how legacy R&Ms are priced once new models come out?

I’d say wait for the new one, at the very least the older models might get discounted a bit. However, since R&M is made-to-order I am not sure if this principal applies. When the G2 Vektron S10 came out, the G1 went from $3799 to $2999. Does anyone know how legacy R&Ms are priced once new models come out?

I have just talked to my shop and it seems that a logical update would be with a gen 3 performance line motor, with no certainty on the future of a high speed version and definitely a price hike. The frame would remain the same.

Apart from stocks already delivered, it wouldn’t be possible for them to get the older versions at a discount.

I also need to go back to work soon and need a bike now and not in October, so I am about to pay a deposit on the HS! Thanks again for your help !!

I have just talked to my shop and it seems that a logical update would be with a gen 3 performance line motor, with no certainty on the future of a high speed version and definitely a price hike. The frame would remain the same.

Apart from stocks already delivered, it wouldn’t be possible for them to get the older versions at a discount.

I also need to go back to work soon and need a bike now and not in October, so I am about to pay a deposit on the HS! Thanks again for your help !!

The absurd price notwithstanding, it's an incredible bike as it is. :)

Congrats, makes sense to me! The Gen 3 motor would reduce weight, but the chain ring would increase in size to accomodate the 1:1 relationship, so it would look a little more clunky. It might be the last time to get a HS Tinker :)

Took delivery 2 days ago :) View attachment 56999
Hi, just wondering how you find your new Tinker? Can you provide an update? I am too looking for a nice compact bike and now deciding either to get a Tern HSD or R&M Tinker. I don’t need any cargo capacity. I test ride the Tern and very impress with it. However here in Australia the Tinker has completely sold out and no bike shop has one for test ride. My concern is it’s weight. It is smaller but weight same as a full size bike Do you find it to be heavy at 25kg? It also seem to have higher centre of gravity compare to the Tern. How do you find the ride and the stability? The waiting list is 2 months here in Melbourne to order from Germany for a R&M Tinker and I try to get as much info as possible without a test ride.
Thank you

Very nice and great choice, I am currently looking at the HS version because of the reduction gear on the vario which would create resistance at higher speed. Have you experienced this or is it fine?

In addition, do you guys know if r&m are planning to update the Tinker in September with the gen 3/4 motors? Thanks for your input
Gen3 Performance line coming to a slightly modified Tinker frame in 2021

Gen3 Performance line coming to a slightly modified Tinker frame in 2021
Built one of these last week - was not impressed with the Gen3 Performance + Vario as the system felt very lossy on the Seattle hills compared to the Gen2 CX (go figure)

Back