Riding your class 3 on the sidewalk? In the bike lane?

Nope, DC Municipal refs ban riding ebikes on sidewalks or bike routes and DC jurisdiction extends to the Virginia shore

Well then D.C. really needs to rethink those regulations, especially given that they have allowed a dockless E-bike sharing company into the city. I see those E-bikes on sidewalks and bike routes all the time. Do they really expect visitors to the city to be aware of such regulations?

Well then D.C. really needs to rethink those regulations, especially given that they have allowed a dockless E-bike sharing company into the city. I see those E-bikes on sidewalks and bike routes all the time. Do they really expect visitors to the city to be aware of such regulations?

I agree completely, it is ridiculous I am obliged to break the law just to commute to work crossing a river bridge safely! DC Councillor Cheh has ordered DDOT to review the regs - I expect Uber/JUMP, Lyft/Motivate, and LimeBike have requested the regs be changed, it would be great for us private owners to be permitted to ride on sidewalks, bike lanes, and multi-use trails outside the central business district. I have written to Arlington, VA in light of their dockless trial requesting the trail prohibition be removed from the County Code too - it's not enforced anyway because Virginia doesn't permit localities to make those restrictions.

But neither is likely to legalize riding Class 3 on trails unless you lower the speed limit, they need persuading to adopt a speed limit not a Class limit as the People for Bikes model ebike legislation would have it or it would be near impossible to enforce

Last edited:
Youngsters are unpredictable on the bike paths. I've seen them standing with the parents and even though they see a bike is coming, the kid will jump right in front me and assume a Kata stance. Kaboom! It's a good thing I expect that to happen. I wonder if that's some kind of behavior they learned from a TV cartoon.

Yeah, and kids also just don't have the attentional skills of adults. They commonly walk into things, for example. Strider bikes mean that kids also are riding two wheelers at very young ages--like 3, 4, 5 years of age, when they still lack the spatial awareness to avoid banging into things. I've been nearly run down by a 4 year old speed demon on a 2 wheeler. It used to be that kids learned to ride a bike around age 8. Strider bikes have dropped that age, and parents are so proud of their precocious little cyclists. I think we'll be seeing more and more of them on bike paths, too, and they are extremely unpredictable as cyclists.

I hope over time the mixed use path will remain as a recreational option, but that there will be protected bike-only lanes for those with serious transportation needs.

I hope over time the mixed use path will remain as a recreational option, but that there will be protected bike-only lanes for those with serious transportation needs.

They're trying out trail separation on a stretch of former rail trail near me, the work will widen the existing 10' wide trail to 19' with an 11' two-way cycle path and adjacent 8' footpath. Looking forward to seeing how it works out, but I wish NOVA Parks who operate the W&OD trail would repeal their ebike prohibition because it's yet another non-enforceable local regulation because Virginia permits riding Class 1 & 2 ebikes on sidewalks and multi-use trails

I just don't ride on sidewalks, except in very rare and very short instances where there is no alternative. I regularly ride 5 miles on a 4 lane 55 mph highway because it's the only way to get to town from where I live. There's no sidewalk but I wouldn't use it if there was. We all do our own threat assessment, and I'm not saying my way is the right way. I'm just stating my viewpoint, as others have stated theirs.
I agree, for me it is threat assessment. I have one short section I ride on the sidewalk but only on my trip home. The alternative to throw myself into a mass of cars merging to one lane and then try to cross to the center lane. Not going to happen. However, when I am on any sidewalk I slow way down and often even turn off my PAS completely.

I don't think it's that bad to ride Class 3s anywhere, but it is likely to induce bad behavior because of how fast the bike can go. Motorists labor under a similar mental barrier, which why they honk all the time even when you're traveling at the speed limit in a low-speed area.

So the right thing to do is to adopt a personal speed limit based on what the surrounding traffic looks like. If that's too easy, scale back the assist until it's just right. For a bike lane, I'd say that limit is about 16-17 mph, just shy of the 20 mph Class 1 limit. That's not unreasonable for very fit cyclists and ebikes have more powerful braking power. You refrain from using the top speed because the bike is more substantial than a typical racing bike, and can do more damage in a collision.

In a shared lane situation, whether or not the law mandates it, I'd say ride at 6-8 mph. This is running speed. It is extremely unlikely to injure anyone seriously, whatever happens. If you have to stop, stop. Ebikes, and particularly powerful ebikes have the advantage of effortless acceleration from stops, so might as well take advantage of it to stop whenever it's advisable.

I ride sidewalks when traffic gets nute. Here it’s suggested you don’t, but only the “downtown” business district makes it illegal. That said, riding a pedal bicycle speeds are given a pass. Only the FEB rubes get their panties knotted. Play nice and most people are nice.

I will ride on the sidewalk if I determine the street I'm on is otherwise unsafe and a sidewalk is available and accessible. I have a class 2 ebike. I never use the throttle though, only PAS. I keep my speed pretty low when I do ride on the sidewalk. I of course prefer riding on the road, but it's not always safe.

Spot on. I prefer the road too, but 228th in Bothell, WA up hill is way to dangerous on the road. I cycle on the path. Police have passed me, none have stopped or gestured to get off the bike.

Sidewalks are my last resort, after dedicated multi-use trails, then bike lane in road, then sharrows lane, then actual car lane. That said, bikes are legally permitted on sidewalks here.
I like the idea of turning off PAS when I have to take a sidewalk. I’m normally in Level 1 but Level 0 is just a smart idea and helps prevent “excessive” speed (ie, as would be observed by pedestrians.)

Got a ticket for riding on the sidewalk when I was 12 years old. Had to go to bike court. Only nerds went there. Yikes. Scarred for life, until I got my first traffic ticket in a car. My bike ticket nightmares then vanished.

I remember way back in 1970, a neighborhood 15 year old girl got a ticket for running a stop sigh on her bike in a residential neighborhood. Still can't believe it.

Back