"Riders of ebikes AND regular bikes--I have some questions for you!"

Hello Richard,
You wrote...."Does the fun factor and increased riding range justify your purchase? " Absolutely positively yes ! July of last year I was in my LBS,
getting something for my Trek non-ebike and had been eyeing the eBikes each time I stopped by. My sales Rep said take one out, so I hopped on the Trek XM700+ and went for 20 minute a test ride. It took me 10 minutes to realize this bike was for me !

I went back to the shop and bought it.....done deal ! This was the best money I've ever spent !! Everyday that I ride is like the first day I road my Trek. The XM700+ is a Commuter bike, very fast and very solid. I ride the XM700+ on paved Rails to Trails and quiet country roads.

I decided I wanted to ride hard packed gravel Rails to Trails etc, but wanted an eBike with a little more control and comfort. My LBS suggested the Trek Powefly7, he ordered one and I bought it on his recommendation having never ridden it. Again, the best money I've ever spent !!
This bike is so much fun. I love the Powerfly7 as well. I could not be happier.

So, Is my approach to buying right for others? Everyone is different, we all should do what feels most comfortable.... I can't wait ride. Every day I ride is 'Christmas morning'.....As far as Trek goes they provide fantastic support. Their products are great. I have 3600 mikes on my two Trek eBikes with zero problems..non ! I hope this was helpful.

John from CT
Hi John, hope you are well!
And by the way, I agree 100% with your post!

I’m 48 and an an elite athlete. I live in the mountains in Crested Butte Colorado at 9,000 ft above sea level. I run, lift, ride a mountain bike and do every type of skiing. I plan on using my fat e bike to commute, to take the edge off after hard exercise sessions, and to go onto snow. I’m adding this to my existing movement and exercise. Will go night riding on snowy trails. Plan to do some huge rides on dirt roads and fs roads. Also to do trails where motorcycles are allowed. I think it will not take away from my fitness, but add a new spin on it. Want to drive less for sure, but am open to new ways to use it...
Tim, I'm writing to concur with your post. And you mentioned something that is relevant to me. That is, I actually don't ebike for exercise. I'm 63, also lift, and my main cardio is playing basketball with a bunch of guys every week. The E bike, as you say, just puts a new spin on things. Gets me out, and adds fun to my life. I just love it and enjoy every ride, even if it's a short one. Sometimes I just take it out and ride around the block. Other times I ride for miles. It's also adds a new dimension to any trip or vacation that I'm able to bring it on. A great way to explore!

I am 68 years old with RA and have a loss of energy. My Specialized Levo let's me ride trails with my son and grandkids. I also ride a Rad Mini with my wife, who has MS, when she rides her Liberty Trike. You just have to keep moving whether it is 4 miles or 20.

I shared your stories of using both ebikes and conventional bikes with a doubtful road biker on my recent vacation. He was interested when I explained that lots of regular cyclists like that they aren't using their cars, and an ebike makes a great car replacement for trips that are above and beyond what a regular cyclist can handle in one day of conventional cycling.

I shared your stories of using both ebikes and conventional bikes with a doubtful road biker on my recent vacation. He was interested when I explained that lots of regular cyclists like that they aren't using their cars, and an ebike makes a great car replacement for trips that are above and beyond what a regular cyclist can handle in one day of conventional cycling.
Transportation, not recreation. It was 92 degrees with high humidity today but an electric bike allowed me to go 15 miles without really sweating. We need to get people out of the mindset the bicycles are for exercise, the addition of a decent powered motor allows the bike to be used like a motorcycle up hills. E-bikes are opening up a new form of short range transportation, affordable and available to almost anyone regardless of physical condition.

Tim, I'm writing to concur with your post. And you mentioned something that is relevant to me. That is, I actually don't ebike for exercise. I'm 63, also lift, and my main cardio is playing basketball with a bunch of guys every week. The E bike, as you say, just puts a new spin on things. Gets me out, and adds fun to my life. I just love it and enjoy every ride, even if it's a short one. Sometimes I just take it out and ride around the block. Other times I ride for miles. It's also adds a new dimension to any trip or vacation that I'm able to bring it on. A great way to explore!
You got it! It’s about new and diverse ways to move. We had a horrible winter in Colorado last year. If I had my fat E-Bike, I would have had a blast on all the packed snow trails. Just an additional way to get out and play. Besides new toys are fun!

I started this thread in early August. Today I picked up my new Trek Super Commuter. I spent the day riding it 60 miles around Denver. Tonight my wife asked me how I like it.

I told her it is unlike any bicycle or motorcycle I've owned. Or, it just might be a combination of the best characteristics of all of them. I took many e-bike "test rides" but it wasn't until today, when I spent the whole day experiencing the range of physical interactions and mechanical capabilities that I began to know, if not adequately describe, what an e-bike is.

Fun is too small a word.

I started this thread asking for feedback from riders that use e-bikes as an addition to, rather than a replacement for their for their regular bikes. I'm fairly certain this beautiful red Trek won't displace my little fleet of steel and carbon bikes, but it will certainly add a dimension of enjoyment and function far greater than I expected.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their e-bike experiences and encouraged my purchase.

I started this thread in early August. Today I picked up my new Trek Super Commuter. I spent the day riding it 60 miles around Denver. Tonight my wife asked me how I like it.

I told her it is unlike any bicycle or motorcycle I've owned. Or, it just might be a combination of the best characteristics of all of them. I took many e-bike "test rides" but it wasn't until today, when I spent the whole day experiencing the range of physical interactions and mechanical capabilities that I began to know, if not adequately describe, what an e-bike is.

Fun is too small a word.

I started this thread asking for feedback from riders that use e-bikes as an addition to, rather than a replacement for their for their regular bikes. I'm fairly certain this beautiful red Trek won't displace my little fleet of steel and carbon bikes, but it will certainly add a dimension of enjoyment and function far greater than I expected.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their e-bike experiences and encouraged my purchase.

Way to go Richard. Glad you are loving your new ride! Getting a new E-bike for the 1st time is by far one of the best valued experiences I have enjoyed as well. Perhaps better than my 1st computer purchase. I like your selection of the new Trek SC +8. The bike just glides so nicely across the terrain and is so smooth. For me, it is the Tesla of E-bikes IMO. Keep it well tuned and have a nice experience forming a relationship with your local Trek dealer. They are usually very good to work with and seem very passionate about their bikes. Enjoy your cool new ride!:D

Fun is too small a word.

I agree, the Trek Super Commuter 8s bikes really are in a class of their own, I got mine August 17th and it’s put the fun back in cycling. I still have my lightweight carbon bike for summer road rides but not I can have fun tanking up and down the hills like I did when I was younger, it’s like being a teenager again which given I will be 70 in a couple of years time is saying something. I love my big beautiful Viper red hill buster.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Rita n Alan, post: it’s like being a teenager again which given I will be 70 in a couple of years time is saying something. I love my big beautiful Viper red hill buster.[/QUOTE]

I've had mine for a couple of months now. I'm almost 70 too and love my Super Commuter for the same reasons you list. It doesn't replace my carbon or steel bikes, it just adds a new dimension of fun and utility too. For instance if I have to run a quick errand across Denver I can do it in half the time or better than my standard bikes would allow. If I'm tired a quick trip to the grocery store is effortless. Although I researched and fretted for months before buying it, I'm completely satisfied and haven't regretted the purchase for one moment. Trek support through my local bike shop has been superb too.

Same sort of situation with me. Been riding (pedal) mt bikes since the mid 80s (I am mid 50s).
Bought a hardtail Cube Reaction, love it. Climbing hills is not a problem anymore.
'expensive'? yes. This is my first EMTB. Won't be my last, for sure.

Hey Tim, I raised my kids in the Butte and had my first eBike there in 2001 converting a 29”er with a lead acid battery Currie drive. It was pretty weak in comparison to today’s offerings and in no way replaced my 29”ers for riding single track but that was not my intent at the time as my interest was more, and still is, for alternative transportation.

I’ve since moved to sea level and my last visit to the Butte was a few years ago to attend PP40. Prior to that event I rode all the drainages. as well as Hartman’s from the tune up, around town on my drop bar eBike that I had brought along with my Townie I used for the event.

21A94586-8FC2-47BE-9EA7-9B540DF719A2.jpeg3EAAC814-698F-4BD7-8CDE-724F7147D6BB.jpegCFB72731-E2A2-4371-93F7-47F2645A6136.jpeg

It was a great help acclimating me to altitude and made it to the top of Pearl no problem at the tail end of the first group on my one speed. Getting to see the old haunts via the eBike was a highlight also.

I have since converted an old 29”er with a mid drive kit for mtb use and have done a lot of single track on it here in the PNW,

34570B54-4310-4948-83DB-C8D3A85468DB.jpeg

But my go to bike for versatility is the road bike and my suggestion to you is to perhaps look into that genre?

Back