RideControl EVO Display Questions

Mtl_Biker

I've had my 2019 Explore E+1 GTS for almost a month now (10 days not riding due to a cracked rib) but already have almost 300 km on it. Something on the EVO display confuses me, and it's not explained in the manual. I hope that someone here will be able to clarify for me...

On the third line from the bottom (bottom line is whatever you've set... I usually have it set for cadence, second line is just a line) so I'm talking about the line that has Km/h (or miles) at the right. Sometimes there is nothing at the left and other times there is a series of "blocks" for lack of better term, and it could be just one or two or a whole lot more (10?). I haven't been able to figure out what that is supposed to be showing me and it's not mentioned in the manual. I haven't seen that it's related to my speed, cadence or assist level. What is it?

If I look online at the Giant site where it compares the different features of the three RideControl units, the only thing that makes sense is "EnergyPak Capacity (Block)" with the EVO having "(10 Blocks)". The Charge and One only have 5 blocks. If it's really capacity, why is it constantly changing? The EVO also has a battery percentage remaining on the display and that doesn't jump around. And when I'm using an assist level and pedaling like crazy those blocks don't seem to relate to my effort or the assist level. So I'm confused about what it's supposed to be showing.

The same chart comparing the units says that the EVO also has a "Human Power Indicator". What is that and where does it show on the display? Also says it has a "Heart Rate Indicator"... WHERE? And HOW? Again nothing about this in the manual.

Other than that, I love the bike! Changing my headlight tonight to the Busch and Muller IQ-X E (just received it) and also installing my custom front mud guard. Photos later.

Last edited:
I couldn't find an explanation either. I've got about 2500 kms on this bike this year so far and I believe it is a horizontal bar graph showing you how much assistance the motor is giving you. This is just a guess from watching it a lot - I've never seen anything written about it.

Could it be a range indicator that changes based on assist level? Shooting in the dark here as I have no display at all.

I couldn't find an explanation either. I've got about 2500 kms on this bike this year so far and I believe it is a horizontal bar graph showing you how much assistance the motor is giving you. This is just a guess from watching it a lot - I've never seen anything written about it.
Kind of weird that there would be some info on the display that isn't mentioned or explained in the manual. And what about the heart rate that the Giant online comparison chart says the EVO has?

Could it be a range indicator that changes based on assist level? Shooting in the dark here as I have no display at all.
Thanks, but I think that's very unlikely. I just haven't been able to pin down the relation between that display and assist level, speed, cadence, etc. Strange that it's not even mentioned in the manual.

It is not shown in the manual but it is the motor torque, you can see this bar graph by turning on the bike hold brakes and put pressure on the pedal, you will see the graph rise as you put more pressure on.
Thank you, Neil! I'll give that a try but it sounds like it's right. Unfortunately I had a flat tire this morning (first one on my new e-bike) and while I had the tire off the rim I decided to convert to fully tubeless (both the wheel and tire are "Tubeless Ready" according to Giant) and I'm having some trouble. Once I get the wheels converted, I'll test your theory out. But you're probably right.

But, "motor" torque, and not "human" torque? Anyway, I'll test this out.

Mtl- Interesting read https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/campaigns/pedalplus-6-sensor-technology/23339
Owners manual shows CHARGE display with torque graph and I assure you EVO display also has torque graph.

1567880641537.png

Kind of weird that there would be some info on the display that isn't mentioned or explained in the manual. And what about the heart rate that the Giant online comparison chart says the EVO has?
You need a Bluetooth heart rate monitor. chest belt type or Apple Watch model 5.
Open and connect the RideControl app. Latest version is 1.4.3. Update if required. Choose heart rate to be the main display on your EVO if you prefer.

You need a Bluetooth heart rate monitor. chest belt type or Apple Watch model 5.
Open and connect the RideControl app. Latest version is 1.4.3. Update if required. Choose heart rate to be the main display on your EVO if you prefer.
Salut Pierre!

Funny that this isn't mentioned at all in the manual. SIGH

Have you got that working? So, if I understand correctly, using the AW Series 5 (which I have) AND the RideControl app would allow me to have the heart rate displayed on the EVO. Or is the app only used to configure the EVO to show the heart rate? I really don't want to use the app while riding... usually I've got Google Maps running with bicycle mode. Is there some advantage to setting up the EVO to show heart rate? I mean instead of just using the hr display on the AW?

My usual routine is to use the EVO to show me my speed and cadence, but I always start the Workout app on my AW when I ride. The watch records all my important ride info (other than cadence) and when I finish, I've got the ride recorded in the Apple Activity app, PLUS I usually run the HealthFit app to sync everything to Strava. That really gives me everything I want and for me works really well.

Anything I'm missing?

I've had my 2019 Explore E+1 GTS for almost a month now (10 days not riding due to a cracked rib) but already have almost 300 km on it. Something on the EVO display confuses me, and it's not explained in the manual. I hope that someone here will be able to clarify for me...

On the third line from the bottom (bottom line is whatever you've set... I usually have it set for cadence, second line is just a line) so I'm talking about the line that has Km/h (or miles) at the right. Sometimes there is nothing at the left and other times there is a series of "blocks" for lack of better term, and it could be just one or two or a whole lot more (10?). I haven't been able to figure out what that is supposed to be showing me and it's not mentioned in the manual. I haven't seen that it's related to my speed, cadence or assist level. What is it?

If I look online at the Giant site where it compares the different features of the three RideControl units, the only thing that makes sense is "EnergyPak Capacity (Block)" with the EVO having "(10 Blocks)". The Charge and One only have 5 blocks. If it's really capacity, why is it constantly changing? The EVO also has a battery percentage remaining on the display and that doesn't jump around. And when I'm using an assist level and pedaling like crazy those blocks don't seem to relate to my effort or the assist level. So I'm confused about what it's supposed to be showing.

The same chart comparing the units says that the EVO also has a "Human Power Indicator". What is that and where does it show on the display? Also says it has a "Heart Rate Indicator"... WHERE? And HOW? Again nothing about this in the manual.

Other than that, I love the bike! Changing my headlight tonight to the Busch and Muller IQ-X E (just received it) and also installing my custom front mud guard. Photos later.

Bonjour Biker
Where did you get your mud guard? I ride all winter with my Explore+1 and did not find any on line.
Salut Pierre!

Funny that this isn't mentioned at all in the manual. SIGH

Have you got that working? So, if I understand correctly, using the AW Series 5 (which I have) AND the RideControl app would allow me to have the heart rate displayed on the EVO. Or is the app only used to configure the EVO to show the heart rate? I really don't want to use the app while riding... usually I've got Google Maps running with bicycle mode. Is there some advantage to setting up the EVO to show heart rate? I mean instead of just using the hr display on the AW?

My usual routine is to use the EVO to show me my speed and cadence, but I always start the Workout app on my AW when I ride. The watch records all my important ride info (other than cadence) and when I finish, I've got the ride recorded in the Apple Activity app, PLUS I usually run the HealthFit app to sync everything to Strava. That really gives me everything I want and for me works really well.

Anything I'm missing?
Personally, my main display on the EVO is speed. I get my ❤️ Rate on my AW from time to time and my navigation on Ride with GPS on my iPhone since all the rides on my biking club (Vélodyssée) calendar are in a compatible format.

I made my mud guard! And it’s fully documented in a post I made about it last fall. If you search mud guard in posts from me I’m sure you will find it. If not, let me know and I’ll try to find the link. (I’m on my iPhone now and it’s somewhat difficult to do that.)

My main EVO display is cadence... as a long time road biker that’s what I’ve always been more concerned about. I try to keep about 95.

”Ride with GPS” is an app?

I don't. If I start riding my Trance on the road I'll use my smartphone mount off the other bike. Otherwise I start the app and put the phone in my pocket or backpack - I don't want my expensive phone perched up on the bars on the trail bike.

Besides, I swapped my bars out for 31.8 with more rise, and a riser stem.

Good news

The Warsaw Giant LBS (Bikeman Ursynów) have set up the RideControl EVo display for me. They have only charged me for the part (which is expensive), gave a regular-customer discount, and didn't charge for the service ("This gentleman bought his e-bike at our store, right?").

One might say installing the RideControl EVO is a step backwards, as it replaces the new RideControl On. Not for me. All ride parameters readily visible, the Walk function operated in more practical way, another type of remote that feels better for me.

And the EVO can be controlled from the RideControl App, too!

Aha, no problem to mount on the 31.8 or 35 mm diameter handlebars. The work to replace the display is, however, tough and it is only practical if the LBS takes the burden and the responsibility.

Battery replacement? I thought it got power from the bike?
Perhaps there is some misunderstanding here, @PDoz. Of course the EVO is powered from the bike. Let me explain the hard part the mechanic encountered during the conversion:

He had to remove the existing RC One wiring first (it was the simple part) and to remove the RC One from the handlebar. Next, he had to route the new wiring: the EVO-display wires from the right hand side, and the new EVO-remote wires from the left hand side of the bike. It turned out the EVO-remote wire was just 5 cm too short.

He had to order and get delivered a longer compatible wire and the plug (that worked pretty fast in that Giant/dealer scheme but took several hours). Finally, the work was completed. The LBS called me and I was there in 40 minutes.

I'm delighted with the way Bikeman works for their customers (it took the Specialized LBS over two weeks to replace the display in my Vado!) Bikeman sell many e-bikes in Warsaw, have the right tools, instruments, software and experience, though they sell mostly Giant hybrid and city e-bikes. Honestly, that LBS has truly won me for Giant!

P.S. I was talking with the mechanic if any kickstand could be fitted for my Trance, even if that's not kosher for an MTB. He looked deep in my eye and said: "Can do. I don't recommend that though. The bike's heavy and it would be bad if that beautiful paint would be scratched and chipped if the bike fell..." :D

Back