Ride1Up Roadster V2 or...?

So did you go for the Civante? Your question mimics my same thoughts. I like that the Roadster gets up to 24mph whereas a lot of these single speed/ skinny bikes top out at 20mph. The Civante is at the top of my wishlist but the price is just too much. I also don’t have to worry about carrying my bike up or down stairs so I’m not quite as worried about weight. My other issue is that very few of these bikes have drop bars which I prefer. I though the Wing looked good but again, it tops out at 20mph. So anyway, what did you land on?

For anyone who might be looking for something similar to the Roadster V2, I dug around and found this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...s-miller-desiknio-urban-or-ampler-curt.30789/

The other two are much more expensive, but the Enki Miller also has a Gates drive and comes with a Bafang M500 or M600 mid-drive. It comes with the same size battery, integrated into the downtube, as the Roadster V2 and Luna Fixed (36v + 7ah = 252wh) so range would be at least as bad as the Luna. But according to their website, they're sold out. According to their Facebook, they'd really rather sell you a Billy, which is totally different. And finally, according to their indiegogo/kickstarter campaigns they were supposed to ship the Miller in June 2020, but they haven't posted updates since March. It looks like the OP of that thread ordered one, but disconcertingly nobody has posted anything to indicate they got a bike yet. It would be totally understandable if Covid delayed things, but the company going dark past the expected shipping date is not a good sign. As far as I'm concerned, that bike doesn't actually exist (yet).

I also somehow totally forgot VanMoof does exist and the S3/X3 weighs a little over 40 pounds, is sort of a similar bike, but comes with a much better 504wh battery for $2,000. They will ship it to the US, in which case you can apparently increase the top speed to 20mph. The X3 might actually be easier to pick up and carry because of the lower top tube design. It looks kind of quirky, which I like. But it also has a front-hub motor with VanMoof's sort-of-internal gear system in the back, both things I don't like. And, it isn't shipping until November/December 2020.
I want the VanMoof to go 28mph. I’d get it if that were the case.

So did you go for the Civante? Your question mimics my same thoughts. I like that the Roadster gets up to 24mph whereas a lot of these single speed/ skinny bikes top out at 20mph. The Civante is at the top of my wishlist but the price is just too much. I also don’t have to worry about carrying my bike up or down stairs so I’m not quite as worried about weight. My other issue is that very few of these bikes have drop bars which I prefer. I though the Wing looked good but again, it tops out at 20mph. So anyway, what did you land on?

I did get the Civante! My commute is 20 miles round trip, so I just wasn't comfortable with the range of those single speeds and the Civante plus a rack and pannier is as heavy as I'm willing to carry up and down the stairs. I do regularly exceed 20mph, so I'm glad I went that route.

If you aren't worried about weight and are using it for commuting, I'd get a different 28mph Ride1Up or Aventon or similar. You'll have much better range than something like the Roadster. Plus, regularly hitting 28mph on a bike is faster than you think it will be and fatter tires is really helpful unless you're a diehard roadie. Yamaha also sells the Cross Core for like a grand less; it uses the same frame as the Civante and others here have been able to unlock it to go faster. You could always upgrade it to brifters and a drop bar. Good luck with your search!

Back